• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pooping on carpet - it's getting very frustrating!!

Seanboy, just a though.... when you let Tripp outside for his toilet breaks how long do you leave him out there, and do you stay with him to make sure he has done his business? The reason that I ask is that sometimes they can get all involved in chasing the butterflies & forget that they are supposed to be going to the toilet. Also I have found with the boy dogs that "marking" and "weeing" can be kind of separate things. When the dogs mark they often only do a little squirt but don't actually empty their bladder out. So when I let my boys out specifically to go to the toilet I go with them & watch that they actually go and if they look like they are just doing the little squirty marking thing I just let them go until I think they are all done.

With the poos I also notice that my dogs will first go & wee, then they seem to get distracted for about 5 minutes, and they they think "oh yeah I need to do a poo" and so they then go looking for a new spot to do it.

So maybe just a bit more time & supervision might help. It would be a shame if you had to find him a new home because this issue hasn't been resolved.

Good luck.

Caraline said:
Seanboy, just a though.... when you let Tripp outside for his toilet breaks how long do you leave him out there, and do you stay with him to make sure he has done his business?

That's another good question.. Also another thing I didn't mention is I know with my older one, Kosmo, he needs to be physically walked outside to do a poo most of the time. He will occasionally go in the yard but he does his best when he goes on walks. I think it stimulates his bowls and makes things move a little more. Also on his walks he has more of an opportunity to relieve himself. He will often pee two or three times during the walks.

Anyways, good luck again. :flwr:

arasara said:
Caraline said:
I think it stimulates his bowls and makes things move a little more.
That reminds me of our lab. When jessie got to be about 7 I must admit I got lazy with walks on rainy days, or in the winter, hmm come to think of it, cloudy days, windy days... (ok I wasnt that bad) but on THOSE days she would go out to the backyard and run around like a bullet a few times. Stop, panting like crazy and do her business - but she was older and wiser and knew how to get things movin when help was needed!

If you haven't already, i would want to get a vet consult about his frequency, just to make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection or some anatomical problem. It sounds like you're letting him out a lot but that he doesn't have the idea of house training at all, and i can totally understand your anger and frustration. A dog that defecates in the house, uncontrollably, can certainly be an impossible situation. If you otherwise love your dog and it sounds like you do, if it was me i would definitely get the Shirlee Kalstone book, and use strict crate training, the book breaks it down clearly--have you tried this, and has he peed/pooed in his crate? If not, you can very likely train him, using that book.

but if things were desperate enough, i'd hire a professional trainer to come in to the home and help. It would be expensive but it would be worth trying, to save the situation and keep a family together.

Nicki said:
For those with boys in particular, it's worth keeping the hair around the genitals cut short, as otherwise they can come in with droplets of wee on the hair, which then acts as scent markes for peeing indoors...

On the other hand, i've found that when the pee pee hair was shorter after zack's neuter and then after his summer haircut, the pee squirted all over his front legs and feet, while when it finally grew out, the hair kept the pee from going so far forward, what a relief.

:?

The frustrating thing is this problem has just gotten worse lately. We've had Tripp for about 3 months now, he's 10 months old. for the first few months, he very seldom had any accidents in the house, but lately it just seems to get worse.

Forgot to mention that he's never had any accidents in his crate, and he sleeps all night without having to get out to pee.

My guess is that you need to start over as though you were just beginning to housebreak him. If you cannot keep an eye on him, crate or confine him to a small space. Go with him outside and when he pees or poops make a huge deal of it with treat or toy rewards, whatever motivates him. You will have to be willing to give the time and diligence to do this, but if you do it will work. You will also need to make certain you have cleaned up any "scent" places in the house or it will all be for naught. Invest in a black light and use a good enzyme cleaner. Good luck to you.

I am sorry you have had such difficulty. I think this almost certainly has happened due to his having been given too much freedom before he was actually housetrained nd the problem has gradually snowballed for you. The only other reason would be 1) medical problems or 2) something in his living arrangements are upsetting him -- some change or alteration. One way dogs try to make their environemnt more friendly and more firmly theirs is by marking. They do not understand that it is upsetting to you.

If you need to rehome I strongly advise contacting breed rescue for your region. It is hard to rehome dog that has housetraining issues and unfortunately this is the kind of problem that ends up being 'resolved' by people taking the dog to the pound where he may have lttle chance of survival. So you want to make sure he goes somewhere safe where the home won;t try to get rid of him when facing the same problems you hve been trying hard to resolve. Breed rescue will immediately try to help out with this dog and place him where he will be worked with on this training issue.

These are the rescue contacts who can help in your region:

For information regarding turning a dog in to rescue, please contact either:

Deb Anders
(805) 682-2484
[email protected]

Sheila Balter
(949) 697-2288
[email protected]

Or try:

Carol Bond (828) 689-9707

(she can help find an appropriate place for him to go and offer advice)

seanboy said:
Forgot to mention that he's never had any accidents in his crate, and he sleeps all night without having to get out to pee.
You need to go back to the start as some here have suggested. Your rugs must still have a smell - rent a good rug cleaner and dose those rugs in enzyme. Get the book "Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days" as suggested and if possible take a wk off. Crate, out, play, out, crate, out, feed, out, play, out, crate - till she/he is on firm understanding again. There is nothing wrong with your dog he/she just is confused and most likely senses all the tension making him/her more tense.

seanboy said:
...a couple nights ago I let Tripp outside, he walked into the garage and pee'd all over the floor, no big deal, it's cement it was easy to clean up. Right after that I took him back in the house and no more than 30 seconds later he pee'd on the front room floor. I was so mad, he had just gone outside, it wasn't like it had been hours since he had been out.....

Is it OK for him to pee in the garage? I would think not. For me, reading this, i'm confused, so i can understand Tripp being confused. Even though the floor is cement, it's still indoors, so although it's easier to clean up than the living room carpet, i think it must be confusing for him to be allowed to walk into the garage at a time when he is expected to go do his business. The garage is the wrong place for him to be because it is inside. He doesn't know the difference between inside and outside for going to the bathroom purposes right now. He needs to be clearly shown. Fortunately, he does distinguish between is crate and the rest of the world, so that is the starting place for training him.

From what you say, it sounds like he was on his way to being housetrained before and didn't pee or poo in the wrong places, and then, for some unknown reason he changed, possibly related to the onset of puberty (is he neutered?)(did this start soon after neutering?)--Zack started peeing in the house two or three times after puberty started, including after neutering. The occasions weren't that close together but otherwise somewhat similar to what you describe--i was nearby when he did it, he seemed to have no clue that it wasn't OK, despite previously having the pattern down.

anyway, because Tripp was doing fine before, you naturally are not in the habit of being tightly controlling of him, but his new behavior shows that he needs tight control in order to relearn the correct behavior. Whatever good habits he had before, he has lost them now. That's why the Shirlee Kalstone book might be good (you can get it for less than $8 including shipping on Amazon)--I've bought that book twice. Each time, by the time it arrived in the mail the problem was resolving itself so i haven't read the book. :lol:

it's very hopeful that he doesn't soil in his crate. You can keep him in his crate all the time when he is not outside. When he comes back inside, whether he peed/pooed or not, he goes back into the crate--since you have said he is likely to go in the house regardless of whether he just went outside or not, and regardless of whether or not he's being watched and supervised.

So just put him back in the crate, for a while. It's a beginning of not giving him any opportunities to fail. He has shown you that he needs you to not give him any freedom right now. He needs you to not let him go in the garage or anywhere in the house, except his crate or outside. When you put him outside, i think you should carry him, don't let him walk through the house or garage. He is needing very clear messages about this in order that he can learn. It's just temporary.

After establishing this new inside/outside pattern of success, you could give him a slightly larger space to be confined in when he's not outside, such as putting an xpen around his crate and see if he will keep that clean too. A little at a time, you could allow him to be in the room with you, but i wouldn't rush into that until he seems back on track about inside/outside. I'm no expert on this, but did recently have a problem with my daughter's dog who's staying with me where, after about three weeks of doing fine going outside and not inside, due to human error of giving her a confusing message, she started going inside the house. So then i started confining her in the kitchen when i wasn't here or when i was sleeping during the night, and when i would get her out, i would carry her to the outside because first i tried letting her walk through the house to the outside, but she peed right on the floor while i was reaching for her. Now, after a couple of weeks or more of carrying her outside each time, there have been no more pees in the house, and just in the past day i've allowed her to run to the outside on her own.

they have little walnut sized brains and sometimes teaching them human ways can be challenging. They want to please, but can't always understand what it is they need to do, there is a language barrier of sorts. or a culture gap.

Back