• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie and Me -- Our first 12 days

CavyGirl

Well, I finally got my little blenheim boy Charlie 12 days ago. It was a lot sooner than expected, as we were told we wouldn't likely get him until he was 10-12 weeks old, but got him at 8 weeks instead as the breeder felt he was ready to go.

He is just the most amazing little guy, I can't even express how much happiness he has brought to us. He is so cuddly and loveable and can't stop the kisses. He will fall asleep on my chest and it almost kills me when I have to put the little snuggle bug to bed in his crate.

He has only had one accident in the house, so us parents are well trained! He sleeps through the entire night in our room, with no accidents in his crate. At first, I thought something might be wrong, because how could he possibly hold it that long?! I guess I should count my blessings!

He sits on command, and I just taught him the guided 'down'. Today we learned how to 'retrieve' and bring me the back the toy, as he had always chased it but would take it and play with it somewhere else. He is just so smart. I'm a gushing mom, aren't I?!!?

I'm on 'pupternity' leave right now, so I'm only working half days. When we aren't here he is crated, and we set up a "Charlie Cam" to check up on him while we're at work. lol. I was a little worried that he might be crying while we were gone, but when he wakes up in his crate he chews his toy then goes back to sleep with no whining. Everyone thinks I'm crazy...maybe a little obsessed, but I can't help it he is so adorable. Besides, after reading a lot of other posts, I now consider this normal behavior.

He does love to chew, but the nylabones seem to work wonders for him (until he gets bored of it). He is after the wood furniture in the house, but I tried the method of putting pennies in a bottle and shaking it when he does it and that seems to work for now. Now if I could only get him to stopping biting my nose…

From Day 2, he had the habit of mounting...everyone and anything. I took the advice on this site to re-direct him to another activity -- he hasn't done it for 5 days! Phew!

I had to wait so long for him...a year and half. But the wait was certainly worth it. :D :D :D

I have read so many postings and they have saved me a number of trips to the vet, I'm sure. Excellent advice on this site. I'll post pictures as soon as I get them uploaded.

Wow, all that in just 12 days...congratulations and keep up the good work. Enjoy your new little bundle of joy.

By the way, I don't think anyone here would consider you to be obsessed. I'm sure we are all as protective of our babies.

Kisses for Charlie from Tessa and Bella.

And please post some pics...we NEED them to live.

EFS

Love to see some photos. It sounds like you have accomplished a lot.Congrats.
Pam

Obsessed??!! No...you're just a Cavalier person. Ummm...maybe that is the same thing as obsessed :D Charlie sounds wonderful. I love the "Charlie cam". How nice for you to be able to see what he is doing when he's gone. Makes leaving much much easier. Can't wait to see pictures of the little darling.

CavyGirl said:
When we aren't here he is crated, and we set up a "Charlie Cam" to check up on him while we're at work.

That is so funny. We have an "Annie cam" set up so we can see what Annie's up to in her "house" while we're at work. For the most part she just stays curled up in a little ball and snoozes.

Sometimes I'll call the answering machine and leave a message for her, and I can watch her sit up and listen on the cam. LOL.

I thought we were crazy, too. But Cavaliers have a way of making people do crazy things. . . .

:fool:

Charlie sounds great. Well don't on the training, isn't it rewarding with a clever pup. Looking forward to seeing pictures :D

congrats! he sounds wonderful! My puppy has only been here 18 days also.

To help with the chewing (know all about noses + toes + clothing....) that the Bone Chill helps alot! Its a canvas stuffed shaped bone that you wet and put in the freezer. The minute I open the freezer she sits bolt upright and whines - she loves it. after she has chewed the nylon bone and dental rawhide strips she seems to like the softer and cooler soothing effect it has. She also likes a piece of a frozen green bean more than any treat - it comes in handy when she gets hold of my slipper :yikes

Bone Chill sounds perfect! I went to the pet store today, but no luck... I will have to go to another store. Thanks for the suggestion. I bought green beans and they are in the freezer now.

I bought Charlie a green frog with ropes as legs today, and lo and behold, he found his voice! He would not stop barking at it. The cutest thing. I shouldn't encourage the barking, but it was the first time I hear his voice..and angelic it is!

Pics are coming soon!!!

Congrats!! I wished we had a puppy cam, but one of us usually comes home for lunch to check on her.
Hope to see pictures soon.

Oh you and Charlie sound like you've been learning like wildfire & what fun. "Pupternity" :lol: Love it & will use it for sure.

Back