• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Something I noticed today

judy

Zack's fur is getting longer and longer, and bushy and shaggy, some places more than others. He's so soft and fluffy, i can barely keep my hands off him sometimes. Belle is a few months older than Zack and her fur is noticeably shorter, it's only a little bit long on her chest and flanks, and her tail fur is longer than Zack's, but her general look is sleek, her fur lays down flat and is shiny. Zack's fur is wavy, going in different directions, and he has that downy soft white fur especially around his rib cage.

Today, i just noticed that his hair is longer where his black color is compared to his white color. He has one small black spot on his right flank and the fur growing out of that black spot is quite long, while the white hair surrounding it is a shorter length. My daughter, Lisa (Belle's mom) was noticing it yesterday. I was looking at it today, and then i noticed that this is true of his black fur in other places. On his right side, he is mostly white, with that one small black spot in particular, while on his left, he has a large black area, 3 or 4 inches, and the white fur right next to it is an inch or two shorter. Then i noticed this is also true of the black fur on his neck, it's longer than the white fur right next to it, and on his head too, there will be wisps of black hair laying over the white areas sometimes when he has been playing and rolling around. And his ear hair is way longer than Belle's.

Is this normal on a tri-colored cavalier, to have the black spots longer than the white hair? On Belle, the blenheim, all the hair is pretty much the same length on both her colors.

There is a small difference in the lengths on Whitney, perhaps not so much as Zack as she is 3 and she has a full grown, very straight adult coat, with hardly a wave or curl in it. Wow was she blessed! lovely straight ears as well.....Maybe in a few years he will even out?

She doesn't have any spots either so can't help on that one! :flwr:

I remember Annie had a black spot on her white chest.... that had a longer black ringlet/curl from it.

Alison.

I think the black hair is stronger than white , my tri charlie used to go bald before a season & would have pink skin where the white hair had been with black tufty patches. & if you pull on white hair a big chunk will come out but not with the black.
So I vowed to only have solid colours that didnt shed or get muddy then this blenhiem rescue came along.
I had a nice white fur coat after she sat on my knee in the vet yesterday :lol:

I've just brushed them all & produced a pile of white hair a foot high. My ruby boy loses virtually nothing :roll:
My papillon doesn't shed much but her coat is a different texture

I laugh and play with Wesley's spotty long black hairs. One leg is completely white with one little black freckle with only about 4 looooong hairs growing out it. He doesn't find it as amusing as I do though icon_whistling

Well if your all right, then having a mostly black tri means I should keep an eye out for a king coat or furmitador starting now..

Kaelin and Morgan are both tricolors. Kaelin is mostly white and Morgan is mostly black. Kaelin has a smoth white coat and Morgan has a curly and thicker black coat. I am not sure if this is standard. I think Morgan's black coat is coarser but that may be due to the fact that it is thicker.icon_nwunsure I will have to go home and look closer tonight.

One of the first things I notice about SiânE was the differents in her hair.

She is mostly black on her back and pure white on her belly and legs apart from one that has some black and brown on it. The White hair has always been course to feel and can get very static where as her black hair is much more smooth and silky to feel.

If I run my fringers through her hair and slightly pull against the hair, the black hair no problem but the white hair I will always come away with loose hair.

Do we have too much time on our hands or what?? :D

Wallis has what I consider to be a gorgeous coat, one that the breeder hated to give up because she said if it weren't for the eye she could have shown her. She's a blenheim and her coat is luxurious and full, very thick and wavy. Her ears are fairly long and curly. Yes, I have tumbleweeks everywhere but that's okay.

Tibby is my puppy mill ruby and was slick-coated when we got her. With the help of "good groceries" (good food) she gained some much needed weight and her coat grew in fuller. Not nearly as full as Wallis', but still long enough to flip up in places and she has curls on her ears. When she started having skin problems she lost most of the fur from her tail and her rear end. Since we changed from Hill's Z/D (for allergies) to EaglePack her coat has started to grow again and become much shinier.

Sasha is my little Stewie with a short hair cut and coarse blonde hair.

On Beauregard, I can see the black hair around his neck 'layered' over the white. Obvoulsy longer, and really neat looking (to me!). It's not as obvious on Elvis, but you can actually pick up the black on Beau.

KC

Black hair tends to much fuller and grow faster than the other colours, definitely. On both my tris the black is considerably longer.

There sure is lots of variation in coats, too. My boys have fairly tight coats even at age 3 and Jaspar STILL has soft puppy coat on his feathering growing out and being replaced by sleeker adult coat. Lily is a wooly mammoth and her hair grows incredibly fast.

I note that the winning dogs in Westminster have coats more like Jaspar and Leo -- much tighter with lighter feathering. which seems to be rarer than the fuller more luxurious coats. A lot of the show dogs seem to have much fuller coats -- and going by board pictures a lot of dogs have much fuller coats than Jaspar and Leo. I think mine will be six before they look like some other dogs at age 1 or 2! :shock: On the upsode -- shedding from the cavaliers isn;t big issue in my house -- most of the hair comes from the cats (I am looking forward to trying a furminator on the cats!).

Back