Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding puppy food to adult dog...

Post Thanks / Like

Default feeding puppy food to adult dog...

Hi just a quick question...

today my sister went to the petshop and purchased the dry food we usually give monty and milo but she accidently bought the puppy dry food (2 bags) and they wont take it back..

...on the back on the feeding quantites it only goes up to 9 months of age (my two are 1 year 2 months, 12 lbs)....however the weight serving suggstion goes up 2 at least 20 lbs.....so just wondering if its an absolute NO on feeding them the puppy food or will it not hurt 2 give it 2 them....(by the way we dont feed straight dry food...i put a small quantity mixied with wet food and rice..if that means anything)

thanks in advance
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like

Mine have had puppy food in the past, with no adverse effects. This usualy happened when we got a puppy and resident dog/dogs wanted some of the same.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 bags of James Wellbeloved puppy kibble when they had an offer on. Each bag had 50% extra free. I plan to work my way through them. There's about 6 weeks worth left. Dylan is 23 weeks old, um that's nearly 6 months old. Is that ok?

Post Thanks / Like

James Wellbeloved states on the pack that the after around 6 months they should be on Adult Food.
    I give Marlon a mixture Vitalin Puppy and James Wellbeloved.
    When I called Vitalin they said he could have it up to the age of 3 years old.
    I would prefer not to give him Vitalin but he loves the small kibble therefore if he likes his dinner he can eat it !

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would depend on your dogs systems whether they would be bothered by an aburpt change. However, I am slightly shocked they wont exchange them! I'd let them know they made a sell on 2 bags but just lost the dogs lifetime of dog food sales - but I am just that way My husband has picked up the wrong case before and exchanged it even without the bill at Petsmart

Post Thanks / Like

Because the needs for a puppy differ from that of an adult dog I personally wouldn't be comfortable feeding them puppy food. You are risking at the very least weight gain from the puppy food, plus as someone mentioned there can be a big chance for diarrhea by switching abruptly from one to the other - even if it is the same brand.

Hard to believe that any reputable pet store would not accept the return of any unopened bags of food. I'm not saying yours isn't reputable; I know that even vet clinics will accept return of their food if the bag is open and your dog won't eat it. I'm like Kodee, they would have had no doubt that I wasn't happy without the exchange and that they wouldn't see me there again - but again, that's just the way I am! (Difficult customer - beware!! )

When all else fails, call your vet and get his/her opinion. They or a nutritionist on staff should be able to tell you what to do.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the quick replys

well actually just 2 quickly clarify both of the bags were opened before the mistake was realised but none of the food had been touched yet.. so its really not the pet shops fault

Because the needs for a puppy differ from that of an adult dog I personally wouldn't be comfortable feeding them puppy food. You are risking at the very least weight gain from the puppy food
    yeah that is what i was afraid of...i dont know if this is true but ive heard that puppy food makes the puppy grow faster than usual than if the dog was on normal food so i was afraid my two would start gaining weight rapidly and growing more than normal...

my main concern is if that (above) happens...though im still not sure if its true...could anyone clarify that please?
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Puppy food has a lot more protein and nutrients generally -- you will note that most bags of kitten or puppy food indicate it is also food for lactating queens/bitches! That is because it is so high in extra nutrients it is considered good for mothers feeding a litter.

Most breeders I know don't think puppy food is necessary and may be detrimental especially for some breeds (like giant breeds whose bones and joints need to develop slowly). Most cat breeders also say this about kitten food. I don't feed either puppy or kitten food to any babies I have had here.

That said if I mistakenly bought puppy food and opened the bags, I would probably just mix it half and half with adult food or homecooked, and feed it to use it up.

Alternatively -- I am sure there is a dog shelter or breed rescue, any breed, nearby that would greatly welcome a donation of fresh food! Allthe rescues I know are always welcoming of such a practical donation .
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin
    That said if I mistakenly bought puppy food and opened the bags, I would probably just mix it half and half with adult food or homecooked, and feed it to use it up.
    Good idea, I'll do this. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

good idea i have some puppy kibble from breeder that we will never use i will take it to rescue centre
    Natalie, mummy to lady (blen) 8 months old