• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

feeding puppy food to adult dog...

Nisha

Hi :p just a quick question...

today my sister went to the petshop and purchased the dry food we usually give monty and milo but she accidently bought the puppy dry food (2 bags) and they wont take it back..

...on the back on the feeding quantites it only goes up to 9 months of age (my two are 1 year 2 months, 12 lbs)....however the weight serving suggstion goes up 2 at least 20 lbs.....so just wondering if its an absolute NO on feeding them the puppy food or will it not hurt 2 give it 2 them....(by the way we dont feed straight dry food...i put a small quantity mixied with wet food and rice..if that means anything)

thanks in advance :flwr:

Mine have had puppy food in the past, with no adverse effects. This usualy happened when we got a puppy and resident dog/dogs wanted some of the same.

I bought 2 bags of James Wellbeloved puppy kibble when they had an offer on. Each bag had 50% extra free. I plan to work my way through them. There's about 6 weeks worth left. Dylan is 23 weeks old, um that's nearly 6 months old. Is that ok? :flwr:

James Wellbeloved states on the pack that the after around 6 months they should be on Adult Food.
I give Marlon a mixture Vitalin Puppy and James Wellbeloved.
When I called Vitalin they said he could have it up to the age of 3 years old.
I would prefer not to give him Vitalin but he loves the small kibble therefore if he likes his dinner he can eat it !

I think it would depend on your dogs systems whether they would be bothered by an aburpt change. However, I am slightly shocked they wont exchange them! I'd let them know they made a sell on 2 bags but just lost the dogs lifetime of dog food sales - but I am just that way icon_whistling My husband has picked up the wrong case before and exchanged it even without the bill at Petsmart

Because the needs for a puppy differ from that of an adult dog I personally wouldn't be comfortable feeding them puppy food. You are risking at the very least weight gain from the puppy food, plus as someone mentioned there can be a big chance for diarrhea by switching abruptly from one to the other - even if it is the same brand.

Hard to believe that any reputable pet store would not accept the return of any unopened bags of food. I'm not saying yours isn't reputable; I know that even vet clinics will accept return of their food if the bag is open and your dog won't eat it. I'm like Kodee, they would have had no doubt that I wasn't happy without the exchange and that they wouldn't see me there again - but again, that's just the way I am! (Difficult customer - beware!! :shock: )

When all else fails, call your vet and get his/her opinion. They or a nutritionist on staff should be able to tell you what to do.

thanks for the quick replys :p

icon_whistling well actually just 2 quickly clarify both of the bags were opened before the mistake was realised but none of the food had been touched yet.. so its really not the pet shops fault :sl*p:

Because the needs for a puppy differ from that of an adult dog I personally wouldn't be comfortable feeding them puppy food. You are risking at the very least weight gain from the puppy food
yeah that is what i was afraid of...i dont know if this is true but ive heard that puppy food makes the puppy grow faster than usual than if the dog was on normal food so i was afraid my two would start gaining weight rapidly and growing more than normal...

my main concern is if that (above) happens...though im still not sure if its true...could anyone clarify that please?

Puppy food has a lot more protein and nutrients generally -- you will note that most bags of kitten or puppy food indicate it is also food for lactating queens/bitches! That is because it is so high in extra nutrients it is considered good for mothers feeding a litter.

Most breeders I know don't think puppy food is necessary and may be detrimental especially for some breeds (like giant breeds whose bones and joints need to develop slowly). Most cat breeders also say this about kitten food. I don't feed either puppy or kitten food to any babies I have had here. :)

That said if I mistakenly bought puppy food and opened the bags, I would probably just mix it half and half with adult food or homecooked, and feed it to use it up.

Alternatively -- I am sure there is a dog shelter or breed rescue, any breed, nearby that would greatly welcome a donation of fresh food! Allthe rescues I know are always welcoming of such a practical donation . :)

Karlin said:
That said if I mistakenly bought puppy food and opened the bags, I would probably just mix it half and half with adult food or homecooked, and feed it to use it up.

Good idea, I'll do this. Thanks :flwr:

good idea i have some puppy kibble from breeder that we will never use i will take it to rescue centre :p

I have the same kind of thing here, but for my cat. He can only eat one kind of food without having a UTI, but someone else bought the cat food (Bubba of course! :D ) so it's taking a bit to clear things up. Especially after I had the vet order the food that he eats and Bub kept feeding the wrong thing.

I met a very dear man here recently. One of those "accidental" things that don't seem to be such an accident later. I was waiting on Bubba to get to this man's business and went inside. The man and I started talking and somehow (?) the talk came around to animals. He was telling me that he feeds about 7 cats outside his business and that he also picks up strays on the road and finds homeless cats in other ways and takes them in. He actually built an addition to his house to make a home for a lot of the cats. He find homes for them but takes care of them in the meantime. I made a donation to him for his efforts - which he tried to refuse - and the other day I realized that I have two partial bags of food that are good food just something I can't use. I really admire him for what he is doing because so many people just don't care. I intend to take him a big bag of litter and maybe some more food soon. (After doing wildlife work where everyone expects you to take in animals and they think that you are getting paid to do that I realize even more how anyone who takes in any kind of animal can use financial help in taking care of them).

Sorry - long winded me! ;)

Nisha said:
thanks for the quick replys :p

icon_whistling well actually just 2 quickly clarify both of the bags were opened before the mistake was realised but none of the food had been touched yet.. so its really not the pet shops fault :sl*p:

Because the needs for a puppy differ from that of an adult dog I personally wouldn't be comfortable feeding them puppy food. You are risking at the very least weight gain from the puppy food
yeah that is what i was afraid of...i dont know if this is true but ive heard that puppy food makes the puppy grow faster than usual than if the dog was on normal food so i was afraid my two would start gaining weight rapidly and growing more than normal...

my main concern is if that (above) happens...though im still not sure if its true...could anyone clarify that please?

ahhh that makes more sense - in fairness to the store, definately they cant return your money. I know its such a waste, but I would go buy new and maybe use a bit of the other as treats or throw it out.

Thanks for all that! i considered mixing half and half with the adult food but when Karlin suggested giving it to a local dog shelter i thought that was an excellent idea! i cant believe i didnt even think about it!...went in today and gave them the bags...they greatly apprieciated it...felt good :p

thanks for all your help :flwr:

My pet shop said they would swap the unopened bag so I did that today in the end. I have some puppy food left to mix for a week.

I feel bad but I don't drive so I can't get to any shelters. We don't have any near. I have to watch my pennies too :?

Back