• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Supplements for Older Dog

casshon

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some supplements that would help an older dog - Honey is 12 years old. She is generally in good health but has got arthritis in her back legs and is not for very steady on her feet so maybe something to help her muscles and nervous system?

The previous post mentioned greenlipped mussels for arthritis - what form do these come in? Also, I live in Ireland so if anyone knows of somewhere to get this either in Ireland or through the Internet I would appreciate your suggestions.

I was recomended SASHA'S Blend by Nicki and it is available here in Ireland but only through your Vet. I phoned the distributer and got some samples sent out to me but I haven't organised it with my Vet as yet.

http://www.sashasblend.com/

If you are interested you can pm me and I will ask my Vet to order it in.

:flwr:

Glucosamine/condroitin definitely helps some dogs. You can use the human supplements for this but get advice on dosage. Your vet may have a recommendation. They can also do a series of 4 injections a week apart that helps; I took my elderly neighbour to the vet and both his dogs are on these. Often it doesn;t kick in til about the 4th week but is supposed to last for some time.

She is on painkillers at the moment - not sure of the name.

Karlin - what is the name of those injections? It may be something we could explore.

I put Rudee on those injections last year and she had DREADFUL diarhoea so we had to stop. You need to talk to your Vet as whether or not they will work. Rudee was on Vetmedin and Lasics so this may have contributed to her reaction to the injections. Unfortunately not every dog can take them.

:flwr:

What vet do you use Claire?

I e-mailed the Irish contact on the Sashas blend website to get some samples but have had no response as yet.

Back