• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dental

Cathy T

Shelby went in for a teeth cleaning yesterday and boy am I glad she did. Turns out she had a cracked molar. Molars 1 and 3 were crowding molar 2 and it had cracked and become infected. They removed molar 2. She had a pocket of infection at 12!!! Past 5 surgery is required. Thank God I got her in and we're getting it cleared up now. I can't stress enough the importance of dental care. It ended up costing me an arm and a leg....but well worth it to know we've gotten it taken care of before it got any worse. She was spoiled rotten when she got home. A little groggy and very tired. We all three laid on the bed together for about an hour....with her letting out her little groans and snuggling in my arm. Had a board meeting at 5:00 and hubby assured me he would snuggle her all night. She woke full of her usual self this morning. And is on antibiotics, pain killers and anti-inflammatories. We WILL begin brushing teeth!!

The important point I want to make is that you could not see by looking at how bad the tooth was. It took a vet to get to the "root" of the problem. She didn't have bad breath and didn't have any problems eating.

Thanks for sharing that Cathy, and I'm so glad Shelby is doing well. I have been brushing Lily's teeth, and she actually likes it! She never resisted from day one. But she is the most agreeable and docile little thing. I think she would let me do anything to her without complaining. My Lhasa would never, ever let me brush her teeth, at least not if I wanted to keep my fingers ;)

I'm so glad that they caught Shelby's problem in time. :flwr:

Glad you caught it in time, Cathy. :)

Dental care is so important to ones' overall health, human and pets. :flwr:

Cathy, I'm glad that Shelby is making such a quick recovery. I just went and found the toothbrush and toothpaste that was in the bottom of Quincy's supply basket. Thanks so much for sharing the story and reminding us of the importance of doggy dental care!

Cathy didn't you go to a really good club presentation on the need for dental care in dogs?

Thanks for the reminder to have regular dentals. And glad Shelby is back to her usual self; I am sure she feels a lot more comfortable!

I have really started brushing several times a week now when I realised how bad Leo's teeth are becoming, and they get a Greenie a day. I can already see a difference and I DO notice the bad breath improves in Leo when he has been brushed.

At first they all hated it but now even Jaspar is getting comfortable with it -- he hates EVERYTHING to do with grooming, brushing etc except the hairdryer so I was suprised he relaxed about this as he used to run and hide when he saw the brush. I use those really long dog/cat toothbrushes. Lily actually gets excited when the toothbrush comes out and spins and follows me around and also pushes her way in when I am doing the boys in hopes that I will brush her teeth again. :roll: I have never seen such a food obsessed animal in my life. :shock:

Oh Cathy so glad you caught it in time! Glad she's feeling better. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

We took India in for a dental last Thursday. The vet cleaned her teeth and took x-rays, said her teeth are fine. But we had noticed an odor in her mouth and I asked him to check for a yeast infection. Sure enough he found yeast in her lipfolds! So we are cleaning her lipfolds for 2 weeks with Malaseb Pledgets, a prescription. I'm noticing an improvement! :)

Plus today in the mail we received a copy of her pre-anesthesia bloodwork, and some digital images of her teeth from the vet! :)

BTW February is dental month in the US, take advantage of the 10% discount at most vets!

Karlin said:
Cathy didn't you go to a really good club presentation on the need for dental care in dogs?

Yes. Our speaker was a dental vet and he had some really scary pictures. He explained that although the teeth may look great there can be a lot more going on under the gumline. A fellow club member and breeder took one of her show dogs in for a dental and had to have tons of teeth removed. He had serious bone loss and lots of decay. And she brought his teeth with her so we can see them. The visual part were beautiful and white....and rotted underneath. Scared me to death!!

He also does not approve of "gentle dental" because it is only a surface cleaning and there can be a lot more going on underneath.

Glad it all worked out well Cathy. We never cleaned the teeth of our old Boxers as nobody ever talked about it back in those days. Now with our younger dogs I clean their teeth almost every day and I am hoping it will make a big difference to the long term health of our dogs mouths.

Thank you for reminding us all how important this is.

oh goodness Cathy that was a shock :(

poor Shelby - I hope you are feeling much better today Sweetheart without that nasty toothy xxxxxxx

Rupert says you need lots of yummy soft things to get your appetite back now :D and maybe he'd better have some too just in case :lol:

Seriously thank you for sharing this story - it's a good reminder to look after their teeth. :flwr:

Back