Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blenheims = more outward eyes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blenheims = more outward eyes?

So I've come to notice that it seems like the Blenheims have more outward facing eyes. Puggish looking. I hardly see any of the other colors with their eyes like this? Do you see what "EYE" see?

Anyway, in noticing this, I'm wondering if it had to do with how they were all bred back in the day.

Any input? Or am I just seeing things?
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

I find it quite the opposite at my house. Spencer and Tilly have more outward eyes while Izzy are closer set. I think it varies from dog to dog...just like people
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like

Izzy and teddy have huge eyes, while Joly's are relatively small. monty has the same size as the former two, but they look smaller becuse he is so big. All are Blenheim.

I too think the eye size is down to individual genetics and not colour.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more pointing out the fact that you see the white on the inside side of their eyes. Kind of bug eyed looking. Creeps me out sometimes! I just don't ever see this in the black and tans.

Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

the white around the eye is a flaw in the show ring so you do see it more on pets, and being that blenheims outnumber the other colors , maybe that is why you see it more. Mona has something interesting, and it affects one eye. The membrane in the corner of her eye is all white and not rimmed with brown so it makes the corner of her eye look white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't say really ... except that sometimes I notice Lucky seems to have a lot of the white too ... he's a ruby.

That is a REALLY CUTE pic of Wesley BTW. That's why I just had to chime in to tell you!!
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis' good eye doesn't seem to be that way. Her bad eye is there but very small and set back with the third eyelid covering part of it most of the time. I was told when she was a puppy that there was a possibility that it would someday cause her pain and would have to be removed, but it has never seemed to bother her. I've started putting a sterile lubricant in her eye which makes the third eyelid slide down and "looks" more comfortable. (The vet suggested that.)
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What Nancy said. Any colour can have this fault (though it is really only a show issue) but blenheims vastly outnumber other colours and B&Ts are the least common colour hence one doesn't tend to see many actual dogs or their pictures. When dogs lack double-pigmented eyes (eg the white has a brownish colour to it) this is a lot more noticeable. Leo (tri) shows white; Jaspar (blenheim) doesn't; neither have double-pigmentation. Lily doesn't show white and IS double-pigmented.

I've only ever seen two B&Ts in Ireland in three years. Lots of rubies, tris and blenheims, with blenheims the most common because it always has been the most popular colour. The deep red and white colouring is quite unusual in dogs (this same colour is in a rare version of the Irish setter though) which I think is why people especially like it.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I was wondering what the deal was. Wesley sure as heck is still super cute with his "fault"! haha!

Again, thanks!
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did a google search for images of B&Ts and it threw up several that are wall-eyed so they definitely are out there:

http://www.ozdoggy.com.au/uploads/21...er_spaniel.jpg

http://www.cavaliere-vom-rosengarten...liere-4-2g.jpg

http://www.domesticsale.com/mainclas...tvmhrgbdfu.jpg
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com