• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blenheims = more outward eyes?

My Wesley

So I've come to notice that it seems like the Blenheims have more outward facing eyes. Puggish looking. I hardly see any of the other colors with their eyes like this? Do you see what "EYE" see? ;)

Anyway, in noticing this, I'm wondering if it had to do with how they were all bred back in the day.

Any input? Or am I just seeing things?

I find it quite the opposite at my house. Spencer and Tilly have more outward eyes while Izzy are closer set. I think it varies from dog to dog...just like people :flwr:

Izzy and teddy have huge eyes, while Joly's are relatively small. monty has the same size as the former two, but they look smaller becuse he is so big. All are Blenheim.

I too think the eye size is down to individual genetics and not colour.

I'm more pointing out the fact that you see the white on the inside side of their eyes. Kind of bug eyed looking. Creeps me out sometimes! :) I just don't ever see this in the black and tans.

4months015eyes.jpg

the white around the eye is a flaw in the show ring so you do see it more on pets, and being that blenheims outnumber the other colors , maybe that is why you see it more. Mona has something interesting, and it affects one eye. The membrane in the corner of her eye is all white and not rimmed with brown so it makes the corner of her eye look white.

I can't say really ... except that sometimes I notice Lucky seems to have a lot of the white too ... he's a ruby.

That is a REALLY CUTE pic of Wesley BTW. That's why I just had to chime in to tell you!! :flwr:

Wallis' good eye doesn't seem to be that way. Her bad eye is there but very small and set back with the third eyelid covering part of it most of the time. I was told when she was a puppy that there was a possibility that it would someday cause her pain and would have to be removed, but it has never seemed to bother her. I've started putting a sterile lubricant in her eye which makes the third eyelid slide down and "looks" more comfortable. (The vet suggested that.)

What Nancy said. :) Any colour can have this fault (though it is really only a show issue) but blenheims vastly outnumber other colours and B&Ts are the least common colour hence one doesn't tend to see many actual dogs or their pictures. When dogs lack double-pigmented eyes (eg the white has a brownish colour to it) this is a lot more noticeable. Leo (tri) shows white; Jaspar (blenheim) doesn't; neither have double-pigmentation. Lily doesn't show white and IS double-pigmented.

I've only ever seen two B&Ts in Ireland in three years. Lots of rubies, tris and blenheims, with blenheims the most common because it always has been the most popular colour. The deep red and white colouring is quite unusual in dogs (this same colour is in a rare version of the Irish setter though) which I think is why people especially like it.

Thanks! I was wondering what the deal was. Wesley sure as heck is still super cute with his "fault"! ;) haha!

Again, thanks!

my boyfriend will sometimes make fun of brady when his eyes do that. he'll be like "who ya looking at" it's kinda like he has a little bit of a lazy eye or something. i had to take many pictures to get one good one for the christmas cards this year that didn't make his eyes look all freaky.

img0201ka7.jpg

20060925brady06ph4.jpg

Yup, my DH likes to make fun of him. Poor baby! He doesn't think Cav's are pretty and has always wanted a Beagle but I WON! :) So, he loves to tease about Wesley but if all I have to endure is a little teasing, then it's worth it! Plus you can tell he's totally starting to love Wesley, even though he likes to say, "well, you're kind of cute...."

Couldn't he just be a DOG LOVER?! :sl*p:

All of mine have white third lids, though izzy's are actually particoloured, the left being darker (It's the one in my avataer photo of him). I think the white gives a 'Who me? Nooo ' look .

The breed standard does not say that the third lid should be dark, so I think that, over here, it's more of a desirable than a fault , like nicely patterned body markings.

Little Zoey (my B&T) has the white showing in her eyes, so I am just really careful about the angles of photos that I take to avoid it from showing icon_whistling . Photo shop is a beautiful thing as well. ;) :lol: I love her just the same, faulty or no. We just call them "crazy eyes" :D

themorningafter005.jpg

Back