• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Peeing on my new floor!!

Harvey

Hi everyone,

Just last weekend i had a new floor laid downstairs - Its laminated!

I have rugs dotted about the place so its not totally carpet free - we had our lounge done a year ago and found it so easy to keep clean with 4 cats and our Harvey that we decided to get the rest of the house done aswell.

The problem is that 2 of the cats and now Harvey have suddenly taken to weeing in the house - this started just days after the floor was laid when they all previously have been completely house broken!!

I have washed the floor serveral times with detergent (i heard that it was good at taking the smell away) and they still keep doing it!!

Has anyone any ideas as to why they have all started doing it and how i can stop it from happening anymore????

Thank you :thnku:

Wow, I wonder if there is something about the smell of the floor that is causing this. I guess you could try some different cleaners on the floor to see if you can mask whatever the smell could be. You could put a belly band on Harvey until he stops doing it, but not sure how the cats would cope with that. Maybe in a few weeks when the new smell goes away things will settle down. It must be frustrating for you.

:yikes What a nightmare for you! OK then, are the rugs new also? I am wondering if maybe another animal has weed on or marked one of the rugs and your lot can now smell it?

If not, then is the lmainate the glueable type or is it the click and lock type? If it's glueable it could be the smell of the glue that's making them do it - some glues are made from animal by products :yuk:

If it's click and lock then I'd contact the manufacturers and ask them if they kave any ideas as to why your animals would start doing this - it could be something they have used in the manufacturing process that's attracting them.

The only other suggestion I can make is to maybe get one of those sprays from the pet shop and spray everything on the floor in your room and hope it works :flwr:

Yes its the "Click n Lock kind (QuickStep UniClic)

Talking of the rugs - one of the rugs i have put down is an old one i brought down from the attic - its one i had when i had my old cat Jasmine who unfortunately got run over some time ago. None of the rugs are new.

Maybe its Jasmine that they can smell - although its the flooring that they are peeing on and not the rug??

Animals can be hard to figure out sometimes LOL

Hmmm it could be that they can smell Jasmie then - animals can be downright strange sometimes.

Weird that they are weeing on the Uniclic though - I have that in some rooms and have never had a problem.

I wonder if one of them has mistaken it to be an outside floor and is encouraging the others to do the same!

I think I'd get some stuff from the pet shop and give everything a spray with it. Simple solution that most pet shops sell is quite good and doesn't have a disgusting lingering after smell like some do - good luck :flwr:

Detergent could be your problem. Depends which you are using but I would use something to neutralise the amonia in the urine like "Simple Solutions stain and odour remover". The enzymes in it neutralise the amonia and stop the animals going back to the same spot. :flwr:

Back