• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Will they ever be 100% trained?

casshon

I just wanted to hear your experiences of toilet training older/rescue dogs. We have had Molly & Bella (approx. 4 yrs old) for 3 months now and whilst they are doing very well with their toilet training they are not 100% yet. I'm not totally sure of their background but I'm assuming they were in a kennel situation.

They never really have the chance to have an "accident" as I keep them with me at all times but this has happened 3 or 4 times in the past 3 months and I don't trust them to be alone yet.

I was wondering how long it can take before they are reliable or could it be the case that they may never be?

Thank you :flwr:

Older dogs generally aren't any more difficult than puppies in most cases. Three months of housetraining for puppy with the minimal problems you are having would be an excellent record! :) So they are doing really well. If they have a resident housetrained dog as an example and a high degree of structure to the day where they go out and do their business this really helps the situation along.

Leo was a kennel dog when I got him at 10 months. It took probably 3-4 months for him to be 99% reliable but a couple of months more for there not to be occasional accidents. It has been ages since he has gone inside.

Thats good news, thanks Karlin.

They are doing really well - they caught on very quickly in the beginning (probably within 3 weeks they realised they had to go outside). They are in a very good routine which helps.

They are definitely not 100% yet - I'd say 95% now and thats mainly becuase I'm constantly on high alert with them incase they have an accident. If left alone I think they would go inside.

Its good to hear the experiences of others in similar situations.

I'm sure others will have perspectives too. In general I'd suggest to keep rewarding them with a really high value treat -- something like cheese or a bit of chicken or something they really, really think is special, every time they go outside.

Your vigilence will also be a big contribution towards their success!

Merlin is two now and came from a "normal" background and I would say he is 99.9% reliable - if he really REALLY needs to go in the night - he will go down to the cellar which has a stone flag floor and do his bits. I don't mind as its easy clean and my fault if I haven't heard him cry in the first instance which he normally does ;)

Thanks for that Kirsty - its great that Merlin asks to go out.

My 2 girls very rarely ask to go out. Occasionally they will sit by the door and look at me but mostly they just go when I let them out. They really are like puppies and can go in the blink of an eye so I try to keep a close eye on them at all times :roll:

Tara has ordered in some of those bells for bell training, for anyone who wants to try that -- none of mine ever indicate they want to go out either! I'll post when I hear that they are in.

Well Jassy will give one bark to indicate that he needs to go out. Arne when he was younger, on the other hand, used to come and give you a big cuddle and then go to the door. Now that he cannt get on the furniture without help he comes and sits beside me and puts his paws up so he can get lifted up to give you the cuddle.

To be honest since they are taken out regularly, (4 times a day) and taken out to the garden if I am going to leave them on their own, they very rarely need to go at another time unless they are not well. I have never had bitches but I have heard that they can be very choosey about the right place to go.

I was thinking of bell training them or perhaps asking them to lay down by the door before they go out but because there is 2 of them to train at once it is more difficult.

I have stepped up the treats after toileting so hopefully we'll get back on the straight and narrow!

Edit: Forgot to say thanks to all who replied :flwr:

Back