• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

loose stools.....

lily

lily has had these on & off for a few days. would it be okay just to give her her dried food maybe just once a day or is 2 times per day ok??

Hi there, I just went thru my first bout of loose stools with my Bentley. I fed him boiled chicken and plain white rice for a few days, along with about a teaspoon or two of pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, it has to be 100% pure pumpkin). And now I am mixing in his dry dog food with the chicken and rice mix. I found that it really helped a lot, and the canned pumpkin also helped a great deal, it firmed up his stools. If you check out the Health & Diet forum, you'll find my posts on there about Bentley having diarrhea, I got a lot of great help and advice from everyone on here! Also, if Lily hasn't had a stool sample in a while, that might be a good idea too.

You may want to consider not feeding Lily at all for a day. Let her gut rest. I would suggest that you call your vet and see what he thinks of the chicken/rice diet, withholding food, doing a fecal exam. Diarrhea can come from a number of different things, so you don't want to let it go for too long.

Let us know what happens!

The couple of times that our guys have had loose stools the vet has always suggested 24 hours of water only, followed by several days of boiled white rice & chicken broth (no solids from the chicken).

The really important thing is to know that your dog is getting enough fluids. If he is pooing more than he is drinking, then this is a very serious situation that usually requires the vets to put up a drip for fluids.

With our guys, if the poos were just a little soft (but not runny) I was happy to treat for a couple of days without getting the vet involved. However if the poos are runny or the condition goes on for more than a couple of days we've always taken them to the vets.

Back