• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can Rawhide -allergic?? Can that happen?

Kodee

Hmm I have been fussing over Kodee's kibble because her stools are loose. The pumpkin (ice cube size each meal) and switching to 1/2 Canidae with the Innova Puppy has helped alot over the last few days. But today she was chewing these rawhide bars the Vet recommended Purina Chew-eeze, After about 10min chewing I noticed she went nuts itching and biting her back feet. Then I remembered when she was sitting with my daughter earlier she had one for about 3 min and went after her tail and feet but not as drastically so I didnt connect at the time. She hasnt touched them in a few days. I was thinking maybe its not the kibble issue at all but the rawhide. Is that possible? Can a dog be allergic to these. the smaller sticks say 100% rawhide but the vet ones (chew-eeze) I noticed have a few other additives (BHA) in them.

yes-- a dog (like a human) can have a reaction to almost anything. I am VERY picky when it comes to dog chews. I have had a couple of dogs have reactions (loose stool) to just chewing on certain rawhides.

Thank you, jeesh - I could kill myself! (ok so I am a drama queen) but I never for a moment thought past the kibble! Oh well, I should be glad she left them alone for a few day - without that, and the fact after chewing it she went wild again chasing her tail, biting paws etc.. I just wasnt putting the chew sticks as a culprit?

Question: she is a typical 11 wk puppy and has a big need to chew. Are any rawhide type ones safer? She has the nylon bone and chill bone and likes both but not to the point of the rawhide for longer quiet periods.

Have you looked into Bully Sticks? Lucky loves them and they are more digestible - less likely to create a blockage.

Bully Sticks are made from cows, so if there is a raw hide allergy, it might be possible he's allergic to all beef products.

That said, the bully stick can keep him occupied for a very long time.

Other options for you are a kong, stuffed with frozen peanut butter (I put in a baby carrot and then top it with peanut butter). Also, I got a Pet Stages Focus Ball that I put a treat in. It's purpose is similar to the Kong but it has canvas ropes too for variety and Lucky likes it more than the Kong: http://www.petcarecentral.com/pt-00106.html it keeps him busy and gives him something to chew.

Lucky LOVES his. He only gets it when I go away and he jumps in his crate to get the treat and doesn't even notice when I disappear!

Good Luck. :flwr:

Neither of mine tolerate rawhide...both are guaranteed to get the runs if they have any.

Merry is allergic to beef, so rawhides being beef, she is allergic to them too. I get Sam's Yams http://www.frontporchpets.com/sams-yams.html?gclid=CIDI8IuDtIoCFRlmWAodfTDvuw or Dr. Chew Sweet Potato http://www.bullysticks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=SP

They are both nice for chewing and a great source of fiber.

They are also safer than rawhide. Dogs can swallow too big a piece of rawhide and choke. Jolly just did that last week with a flat piece of rawhide. Scared me real bad. I was able to reach into his throat and pull it out.

Bully Sticks are made from cows,

Actually they are from steers -- the part the boys have that cows definitely don't have... :lol:

How long do Sam's Yams last? Have never tried them.

Pig's ears last a long time but are very fatty and give some dogs the runs. Hooves last a long time. Booda bones and other cornstarch style bones can last forever for some dogs (not Lily).

Rawhides are often treated with a variety of chemicals and preservatives so that too could be what is causing a reaction.

First off I'd totally stop feeding the rawhides and see if the scratching/biting stops.

Thanks for all the suggestions. She has the regular kong and the dental one plus a ball that drops treats. Playing with toys and food stuffed things she is easily entertained for a while.

The rawhide sort of served a different purpose (OK NO LAUGHING HERE) she umm... promise no laughing.... chews while she lies in my lap and then falls asleep, just like a baby with a pacifer or bottle. Then like the true princess she is... I carry her to her crate or bed where she continues to sleep. :sl*p: Come on stop laughing, I know she is spoiled! Actually once we got the xpen escape solved this wk - she is getting quite used to it about 2 or 3 times a day while do some work - see we are making progress on not spoiling her all the time.

The Sam Yams look great - but after a quick internet search I am not sure I can get them in Canada - but I emailed them. It might be just the Purina one's as I noticed they have corn oil in them where as the sticks are just 100% rawhide.

Hmm corn is one of the grains that most often causes allergic reactions in dogs so that could be it. I get high grade rawhides that aren't treated with extra stuff like that. They are also just flat sheets about 1/8th inch thick so they can;t easily chew off an end (like they could with those knotted rawhide bones).

PS No I'm not laughing at all!

You may not be laughing...but I am!! :lol: I think it's sweet though...that's why I'm laughing.

Sam's yams are great...but mine go through them pretty quick.

Kodee,

Have you thought about booda bones, n bones or nylabones??

Kosmo can't have denta stix because they make his stools loose.

Faith chews on all of kosmo's chews so i have it easy there but she was particularly fond of the booda bones (you can get 2 at walmart for $6) and the good thing is that since she's so small, they last forever.

Good luck :flwr:

Debbie

Both my boys just absolutely love Merricks Toothpicks, they sell them at Global.

I have never given either of mine rawhides.

Debbie,

Gotta warn you - the Global on garden st in whitby (by your house) has texas toothpicks but only in individual sticks. They are 99cents each.

If you plan on trying them if I were you I'd call global and confirm they have them first because I've gone to SEVERAL that didn't carry them. It's really annoying going all that way just to find out they don't carry it.. grr :roll:

I have never heard of Booda bones or toothpicks. I will have to search out my baby's new pacifier umm I mean chew stick :roll:

But I am really bothered by pigs ears, etc... I had enough trouble knowing what rawhide was - umm Karlin I did not need to know the part bully sticks come from :yuk: your all corrupting me :shock:

So totally unrelated: she settled into her xpen today much better, no fussing, while I washed the floor! She lounged on a blanket on the floor instead of going into her crate and fell asleep for 1.5 hrs - now that was confidence! Next wk and I will brave the world again for.. oh i might force myself to leave her for 20min and actually go to a store!

This may sound a bit off the wall, but have you checked her out with a flea comb??? Fleas most always like to go to a dog's rear end and a bite can put the dog into a frenzy! Just another suggestion.

I also have a "recipe" for doing your own yam/sweet potato treats if anyone is interested. I haven't tried them yet but have it on good authority that they are wonderful.

Beef is a big source of allergy in a lot of dogs, which is why you find so many diets that are chicken, turkey, lamb, etc. based now.

Good luck!! :D

Crittercall - I would love to see the recipe for making my own yam/sweet potato treats. Can you post it?

Charleen said:
Crittercall - I would love to see the recipe for making my own yam/sweet potato treats. Can you post it?

I too would like the recipe. I have taken sweet potatoes, cut them thin and put them in my convection oven until dried like jerky.

Crittercall said:
This may sound a bit off the wall, but have you checked her out with a flea comb??? Fleas most always like to go to a dog's rear end and a bite can put the dog into a frenzy! Just another suggestion.

I also have a "recipe" for doing your own yam/sweet potato treats if anyone is interested. I haven't tried them yet but have it on good authority that they are wonderful.

Beef is a big source of allergy in a lot of dogs, which is why you find so many diets that are chicken, turkey, lamb, etc. based now.

Good luck!! :D
I am sure there are no fleas - our area rarely has a problem and we personally never had with a dog for 15 yrs and a rabbit (no mites). I know depending on a geographical location it can be a nightmare even with diligence!

I'd love you to post the yam/potatoe treats! Let's have a Cavalier cook-off and taste test week :flwr:

Back