• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

job dilema

lily

hi

In need of some big shoulders for advice please....

I only qulaified in sept this year as a nurse & had a battle to get a job due to recruitment difficulties within the NHS. I eventually got a job however only temporary with a view to full time.... Its in an area of practice i would never have considered given a choice & i have seen 2 job advertisements which sound just up my street. I know i should put myself first but i'm worried that if they ask sister for refs & i dont get even an interview, then they wont consider to keep me on when the time comes & i end up with no jobs. I just dont feel that i'm gonna get to grasps with this job & am afraid of letting these chances go incase i regret not applying...... i am so confused & feel literally sick at times.... this does nothing for my self confidence either as my minds not 100% focused as i'm thinking of other chances...... any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.....

you only live once job dilemma

hi my advice to you is go after what you want in life dont let what ifs hold you back , you trained long and hard and should enjoy your work after all you spend most hard at it! If you hold back oppurtunities will always pass you by people dont always get lucky and land the ideal job but if you dont chase the oppurtunity you have to make do with what you got. as for worrying about wether or not you will be kept on in your current job then dont its not what you want to do forever is it also most employees will make desicions based on past performance, and who knows when they realise what you really want to be doing they could even put in touch with the right type of job. choice is yours but remember if i dont try you dont get ;)

Lily
I am sorry to hear your dilemma. I can empathize with you. I just changed jobs to a nursing home that was very close to me(one mile away) thinking it was perfect decision to work close to home. I was the Nurse Coordinator of a dementia unit and I love working with dementia but you really don't know a job until you are there sometimes. The duties were unrealistic and the unit census was more behavioral then dementia. Thursday they admitted a person who had attempted suicide to the unit and that was it. Don't know how we were expected to monitor this person while caring for 30 other behavioral people without adequate staff. Fortunately I made a call and had a job the same day that I had interviewed for before and quit on the spot as I was still in orientation. Long story but the point is life is too too short to spend your life in a situation that is not making you happy. Here they do not request references until after the interview. And here we can request on the application to check references upon offer of job. Can you do that?All in all I would take a chance I guess rather than work where I was not happy but that is just me.

When I graduated from college it took me 3 months to get hired. It wasn't an ideal job.

Within a few months at my first job, I could tell that I would not want to work there forever. They treated their employees terribly and they didn't pay well. My boss was even taking credit for my work when he talked to the owner of the business.

I ended up being there for 3 years, but the entire time I was looking at the job advertisements and mailing my resume out and going on interviews. I did not tell my employer I was doing this, so I didn't put down my boss as a reference.

But this first job was a stepping stone to bigger and better things. The experience I got there, helped me to get my next 2 jobs which were really what I wanted. It also helped me keep things in perspective. I knew what I didn't want in a job. I also knew what it was like to work at a bad place, so in my next 2 jobs where the work environment was good, I never joined in with the complainers. I would tell them "you don't know how good you got it".

So my opinion is, you try real hard to learn what you can from your current job. Go speak to your boss and see if they can help you with what you are struggling with. At the same time, put your resume out there and go on job interviews. Even if you don't get the jobs, do not worry. It is a great experience for you. You'll find your dream job. You just have to be confident and persistant and patient. It may take a while.

Thanks

good advice & feedback. I am usually a confident person & as its an area ive never worked in i am wondering weather its a confidenc thing as a transition from student to nurse. Most of the staff are fine to work with & my preceptors are fab but its a repeatative (sp?) job & think i would get bored anyway after a few months... i am also afraid of losing other skills... will need to make my mind up as i have until the 19th to apply but its online so i have 2 days.....

ive just looked at the application & it states that referees will be approached prior to interview unless i state otherwise, so i can tick no to prior contact though it also states

''For all posts written references obtained must cover the preceding 3 years of employment.''

does this mean i can use my old refs as ive only being employed 1 month here??

As your contract is only temporary, Sister will understand that you need to seek stability in the form of something more permanent. Why not discuss it with her ?

This is true barbara, its just ive only been there for 1 month & i dont finish until july so really i'm not giving myself enough time to even learn the job am i?? If i'd been there for a few months then i'd feel ok talking this through but i really dont think this is the kind of job i really want.. I know beggars cant be choosers but the shifts are quite rubbish & its hard fitting around kids & hubbys shifts. Most places do self rostering but they dont ..... i'm just worried if i let this job go without even attempting it, i will regret it...

I'd do as Barbara and Charleen and others suggest -- def. look at other jobs; for these ones now, think about how you want to discuss it but ask for some time with Sister if you are comfortable with her; explain that while you are dedicated to this job you know it is potentially only temporary and have the opportunity to try for another post that closely matches your training at the same time that you are equally committed to working in the post you are in right now (always pays to be diplomatic!). You could ask for her advice rather than tell her what you are going to do -- if she is fair she will encourage you to apply for the other positions and be understanding of your position, and offer to give a reference or you can at that point ask if she will be willing to act as a reference.

If she is not supportive then ask to interview without the current supervisor being contacted. Many people would do that anyway. Ypou will need your earlier references anyway as one month wouldn't probably be too much value to the interviewers for the new position -- they would be more interested in anything from someone with a longer term perspective on you and your capabilities, I should think.

well thanks for all the sound advice guys.....

I had a bad day with confidence yesterday & decided to apply for one of the jobs i fancied the most.... however today i felt happier & really wanted this job & in discussion with other students, they are having good & bad days to... reckon its the whole transition process definatley........

I was just scared letting a job opportunity go but i have to think of number 1, me & my family... yesterday i was hoping my contract would end, today i wanted a permanant job here ..... not sure how i'll feel tomorrow but hope these feeling fluctuations sort themselves out soon...

Back