• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Senior Citizens

Heres my darling SiânE. Now 8 years old, 3 years with diabetes. As you can't help but see she now is blind from the cataracts but Shhh don't tell SiânE that as she hasn't notice yet ;) . She still goes about her daily business without a care in the world even if she does bump into things now and then.

DSC_0003.jpg

And heres SiânE friend from over the park. Little Dylan who at 14 years young, heart problems but is still quiet a character who shows that Ruby's may grow old but they still stay naughty icon_devil (especially after losing weight meant he could now jump on the coffee table to get to the biscuits).

20-04-06_1515.jpg

27-11-06_1511.jpg

What lovely pictures of all the Oldies they are all looking so happy its lovely to meet them all. I will try and post a picture of my Oliver when I work it out.[/b]

Kodee said:
The Golden Oldies Gallery is Great! It's good to balance out health illnesses that might strike this breed with stories about Cavaliers that do lead long healthy lives!

Ditto that! Gives us all great hope. Thanks! (y)

Has anybody else noticed that most of these oldies are blens? cavtiny Whats also interesting is theres a lot of the puppies which are the other 3 colours. Anyway, love seeing all the beautiful wise "puppys at heart" b*n*n*

These are all very beautiful golden oldies. I love the wise expression in their faces... from Wallis to Annie and everyone in between, they are special dogs. Thanks for sharing the photos.

They are all gorgeous in such a special way, pull at the heart strings.

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

cavalicious said:
Has anybody else noticed that most of these oldies are blens?
Thats a really interesting observation! I wonder if it is true everywhere? Any breeders that track lines etc out there that know if it might be true in anyway?

I have had a Ruby who lived to be 14 plus, a B & T who lived to be 12 and my current B & T is 12.

Whole colours are rarer so naturally they wont be so many of them as oldies compared to the more numerous parti colours.

Its such a great thing to see the oldies, gives us all hope in spite of the all the health concerns the breed has. :D

Kodee said:
cavalicious said:
Has anybody else noticed that most of these oldies are blens?
Thats a really interesting observation! I wonder if it is true everywhere? Any breeders that track lines etc out there that know if it might be true in anyway?

Actually I read in several places that the wholecolours can be sturdier, and apparently Cecily's vet told her the same thing. Ditto re males being more likely to suffer early onset MVD that females. Probably completely anecdotal and no basis on fact- but there's no denying that Amber's BT granny is going strong at 11 and had shown no health problems at all until very recently.... it was enough to make me go for two wholecolour bitches. :lol:

A long time ago there was some basis in fact for this as fewer wholecolours were bred and the gene pool was narrow -- however particolours were bred in to make the pool wider and improve the robustness, from my understanding -- hence you do get a lot of mismarked wholecolours as a result from the particolour lines bred in.

Bet would probably know the answer to this! :) She had some trouble logging on but should be dipping in now and again.

I don't think there's any link between colour and health. Though that said almost all the cavaliers I know of with EFS have been rubies but that may just be an anomaly.

What a lovely tribute to the well lived Cavaliers on this board Im looking forward to seeing more beautiful seniors who are young at heart and I hope every Cavalier on this board will make eligibility on this section

I thought I had posted photos of my oldies but I must be getting old myself since I cant find them.

DSCF0404.jpg

Arne the B & T aged 12 and Jassy aged about 8 at least.

Now for my Bridge Angels

Jamie2.jpg

Jamie who lived to 12

Biggles.jpg

Biggles who lived to 14 and 1/2. Bet, I hope you see this one.

File0004.jpg

Merlin who lived to about 9 and a half. He was so full of life that he worn out too soon.

This is Vanity, age 9...these pictures were taken when she was 8 (her birthday was in February!).

n19100062_30250084_6824.jpg

n19100062_30250092_2869.jpg

Something that my family has been noticing as she's gotten older (we've never had a Cavalier before) is that her coat seems to be getting thinner. Is this par for the course?

Anyhow, it is really heartwarming to see all these photos here. Vanity has recently been diagnosed with some health problems, though the vet still thinks she'll live into her teens. I hope she'll get to live as full a life as others in this thread. :)

Back