• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Golden Oldies photo gallery

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking our senior cavaliers deserve a gallery of their own, especially following on the lovely thread in this forum on the oldies.

Barbara Garnett-Wilson's new book on cavaliers has a whole chapter devoted to pics of the oldies, and it is so enjoyable to look at! And we have some lovely old gals and fellows here as well.

And I admit I have another motive too -- having had several older cavaliers of wonderful nature come into rescue in the past couple of months. I know very few people consider the oldies when thinking about adopting another cavalier. Yet often when folks see and meet such dogs, minds change! I have no doubt that those of you who have older cavaliers and have shared your pics and stories with us, have helped so many discover the special joys of the seniors, and have helped directly or directly, several such dogs find a home.

Thinking about this, I realise that we so easily forget to celebrate the seniors in their own right and they remain largely invisible. So this new forum is a positive attempt to redress that, let those of you with older dogs share them and talk about them and the rest of us, to enjoy them, and just maybe get someone who is thinking about a rescue dog to think about talking to breed rescue about one of those special, homeless oldies. :)

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=38

What a great idea Karlin. I just love seeing the pictures of the Cavaliers in their golden years. Kris and I hope and pray that our dogs and the puppies we have bred will live to a ripe old age.

Now, off to the new forum.

From what age should they be included ?

I rarely think of Monty, eleven, as old, unless it is mentioned; probably because he isn't greying and is still the same as when younger.

Well I did think about that, and whether to just have people decide what they feel qualifies as a senior. :) The dog food companies tend to define seniors as 7+ but I think it's a personal decision. :lol: I think the 10-pluses are the age where they really begin to be thought of as 'seniors' -- 7 is still a pretty young dog in my book!

Would people like to set n age minimum for the gallery and if so, what age?

I donot know what the age for olders should be but I love looking at the dogs what ever you all decide on can I make a sugestion has well for the rescue dogs to have a theme as well to see how they getting on I am guilt because I want to show off my Sam ----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Considering health issues, 7 could be 'getting on' for a cavalier, but it seems, young to me, too, Karlin, being used to springers who went on to 14 and 15.

I actually feel quite shocked, sometimes, when, after asking Monty's age, people comment that he is quite old. guilty of putting my head in the sand, I suppose.

7 is also the qualifying age for Veteran classes at shows...

Kyla is 7 but I don't think of her as being old...and she doesn't look it :D but I guess with the health problems sadly not nearly enough Cavaliers do reach the age of even 10 :( :(

So maybe we should start it at 7?

Aileen, I like the idea of a rescues thread too - then we could all see how well they are doing in their new homes, and it might encourage more people to take on rescues too?

Nicki said:
Aileen, I like the idea of a rescues thread too - then we could all see how well they are doing in their new homes, and it might encourage more people to take on rescues too?

Me too - fabulous idea :D

We had another really lovely long thread about Golden Oldies some time ago - I wonder if it can be found and moved to the new forum? (I would be happy to find it and move it)

What does everyone think about this?

I love this idea!! We hear so much about dogs passing at a young age. It would be so encouraging to hear the stories and see the ones the inspire us and give us hope that our youngsters will one day be featured in an "oldies" gallery.

Back