• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily's bad day... and new Puppia

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Lily has had a bit of stomach upset the past two days -- a bit of vomiting one morning then it stopped, then a bit of the mild runs so I figured she'd eaten something; didn't look too serious and she was perfectly lively and happy. Then this afternoon she started dripping blood when trying to pass a stool -- not just a little but quite a bit of blood, on and off, and was straining to go without being able to do anything and instead dripping blood :yikes:.

As all that can be a sign of intestinal blockage I rang my vets who were willing to fit me in just past their closing time. Turned out it was Fintan, one of my favourites. Looks like she doesn't have a blockage but probably some bad gastroenteritis. Fintan was noting how some dogs can seem at death's door with this (indeed often it is mistaken for parvo -- I know of sad cases where dogs have been pts in pounds on assumption that this was parvo :( ). By contrast she is her usual self and not uncomfortable, just scaring me with that blood. She probably ate something off the ground on one of her daily hoovering sessions/I mean walks! She got some antibiotics, two injections and lots of fussing from the vet techs. Fintan was very taken by her new Puppia :lol::

394220543_6047f84606.jpg

This is a wonderful Puppia and great for SM dogs as they velcro together and don't have to be pulled over the head, but they run very small. Lily is in a large and she is only 12.5 lbs! (weighed her at the vets). The extra large is quite a bit larger again though. I want to get two for the boys as well. Dogtrainingireland.ie have a batch coming in soon so am waiting for their arrival.

I thought I'd add this pic as well -- Lil's getting quite the hang of sleeping with cats these days! Here she is with Quincy but she evenb curled up with Pippa the other evening -- I couldn't believe it, Pippa usually doesn't like being near the dogs.

394220538_5d65dea35a.jpg

glad to hear that she is okay!! i love the puppia u got may have a look at the website and see when they are coming in!

They even have extra smalls but we were laughing at them, they are so darn small that maybe they'd fit a mini yorkie or chihuahua puppy but that's it! They'd fit a child's doll!

Really glad to hear that she's okay. And the puppia is great! I'd love to get one for Wallis, but she's just too big. :?

We had a really close call with Tibby last summer. She had vomited blood, then had diarrhea that was pure blood. I was ready to take her to the ER but Bubba has wanting to "wait and see". I looked her symptoms up in one of my handy books and told him that if anything else of the sort happened she was going to the ER. He hesitantly told me that she had vomited blood again.

I had correctly diagnosed Hemorhagic Gastric Enteritis (HGE - just can't spell it!). It could have turned either way - to complete DIC or everything start firming up. Fortunately with their excellent treatment she turned the corner and is still with us. It was a tension filled episode for us.

I'm glad your girl didn't get any where near that point. And love to see her with the cat! Tibby and Sasha both like to fuss at our cat but when we aren't looking they are sharing a space.

going to go on now and have a look!! my h2b will kill me as i spend too much on him, got freddie an old navy jumper in the states he looks lovely will post pic's later!! i want another puppy as i am in love with these dogs, so it is h2b birthday next month and he is always saying that he would love another dog SOMETIME so i am going to get him a ruby for his birthday so i will have twice as much stuff to buy, puppia's will be sold out!!

Oh Im so glad she is alright Thats quite a scare Im sure. She looks great in her Puppia. I dont know if Ellie will be able to fit that though as she is 14 lbs at nearly 7 months! Is that large for her age?

poor lily! you must have got such a fright from the blood :shock:

glad to hear that she's getting better and in good spirits! that is a great looking puppia---i'm going to have a look at the website now. indy is quite a puller (although we had a breakthrough yesterday :D :D ) so would the velcro hold strong enough you think??

love the picture with the kitty cat!

k

If anything these are more secure than the mesh harnesses -- they both velcros across the back and then snap together at the top of the neck, where the two rings comes together for the lead. They are really soft on the inside, too. There's a purple denim and then both the pink/vblue with white stripe and pink/blue flowered versions that are just slightly different.

They have them here; more expensive than the regular Puppias:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

They also have the Ruffrider seatlbelt harnesses on order -- these are one of the ONLY safety-tested car harnesses -- and PINK wire crates! They also come in blue... I might get a blue one; they are really nice with double doors.

oh goodness poor Lily - and what a dreadful shock for you :(

So relieved she's ok - it's always better to get these things checked out - HGE is very nasty and can be fatal very quickly. Thank goodness it wasn't that in this case.

Gentle hugs for Lily - I hope she will feel much better soon.

I love her new Puppia - I did try TedBear in the camo vest harness, but he couldn't cope with it at all - he wouldn't even sit up in it. I think it's very much trial and error what an SM affected dog can tolerate - at least here we can sell/pass on anything that doesn't work!!

how would u judge what size for ur pup freddie is in a small puppia harness and it is getting tights around the waist???

how is lily now?

I'd follow the measurements Tara has on the website. For those jackets, you'd probably want a large. You can close them a lot smaller than I have mine on Lily for a smaller dog. A medium mesh harness is pretty large on Lily but the small is too small -- too tiny for her head.

She's fine this eve, sleeping in on my bed. I am glad I brought her in to the vet. I've had dogs show blood in stools now and then -- but never had one pass only drops of blood. :shock: Fintan didn't seem too concerned as she was in great form and her temp etc was normal. She will get a bland diet for the rest of the week.

thats good to hear!! give her big cuggles from me and freddie and wish her well soon! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

So glad she is on the mend. Pippin is terrible for hoovering when we go for walks. How can we prevent this?

Back