• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Molly's Compassion

Lynn

Molly did something very cute this morning and I wanted to share it with you all. She was sitting on my lap and I was holding her new stuffed dog toy. Molly was vigorously biting at the stuffed dog's leg and I was making a growling sound...playing the dog. Then I changed the growl to an 'Ow, Ow, Ow' (like "Ouch"... to say she was hurting the dog) and Molly stopped biting, pulled back a bit, then LICKED (kissed) the stuffed dog! If I had that moment on video, it would be worth gold. I hugged and kissed her telling her what a good dog she was to give the doggie a kiss.

She is the most precious & dear puppy. She shows compassion quite often as I am easily brought to tears.....one day a news story brought me to tears and I sat down across the room from Molly while watching the tv. As I was blubbering, I saw her take notice of me, jump down from the couch and jump up next to me on the love seat to kiss me, then cuddled next to me. Max sat opposite us totally oblivious of the big moment I was having with Molly.

I wonder...are the female dogs more compassionate that the male dogs? Or would it just be different personalities?? Or could it be that we got Molly when she was about 12 weeks old and Max when he was about 18 weeks old???

I think you have a very special dog in Molly. I don't think it is based on when she came to live with you or her sex. You are just blessed to have a little soul who is in tune to your needs and there to comfort you and give you love.

I agree with Charleen. It's just a difference in personalities. Some people are more easily moved by other people, etc., so are dogs.

Neither of my Cavs is sympathetic if I'm upset. Nor is my shihtzu. They'll walk away if I'm crying. My Eclectus parrot, however, will cry along with me. When I was bed-ridden a few years ago with a blood clot Henry's cage was in my room. His cage had to be covered everytime the nurse came to visit because he would squawk and growl at her. He didn't want that stranger touching me.

My first shihtzu was very in tune with my feelings. If I cried, she was in my lap. If I was upset over anything, she was upset too. My husband said he could always tell my mood by watching Bonnie Jean.

Count yourself as very lucky to have a companion who is so aware of you and your feelings. They can be a wonderful comfort.

Hi Lynn....Lily does the exact same things. She is the most loving little dog I have ever seen. Almost to the human level with hugs and kisses at the appropriate time. It is not just with me, but everyone she meets or when anyone comes in our house. I just thought that all Cavs did this, as she is my first, and I didn't have anything to compare her to. We got her at 10 weeks. She has been this way since day one. It is almost eerie the way she can sense our moods and offer her kisses and hugs at the appropriate time. She is extremely sensitive and we can not discipline her at all with any type of scolding. She is so good though and only wants to please us, so she seldom is naughty and you only have to tell her no once. I told my husband that she is the perfect dog and is almost too good to be true. I just can't imagine ever having another dog like her. I don't know what we would do without her, she brings us so much joy.

Oh that is so sweet!! What a tender and compassionate little soul you have there. Hmmm...not so here at my house :roll: I laughed the other day when talking about the lack of empathy from my two (yep, especially Jakey Buddy), if I were sick and in the bed the only thing he would be concerned about was....who's going to feed me and throw my ball for me...it's all about Jake! Love him to death little goofball. Shelby is such an independent little thing I don't think she'd notice.

Awww thats so sweet I think the other board members are right in that it probably varies from animal to animal. Take joy in the fact that you have a lovely sensitive soul to lean on when times get rough :flwr:

Lynn - How sweet your little Molly is!! They really have a sixth sense sometimes. I posted this on the other board a while back but will repeat it here. When my brother died a year ago suddenly from a heart attack at age 45, I was obviously very distraught for weeks following Jay's death (as was my entire family). Well, Katie was the most comforting thing for me. She was always near me, didn't pester me to play and just kept looking at me with those soleful eyes. God love her! She really helped me through a very difficult time in my life. It was really as if she knew my limitations at the time. The funny thing is that about three weeks later, she was back to her "okay, mom, it's time to play" self. I know some people say they're "just dogs", but we all know the truth, don't we!

Aww that is soo cute...Molly is definitely a very special dog...Its amazing how loving this breed is....i aswell dont think it has anything to do with the gender or the time you got her...its just her :) ...My Milo is exactly like that ..very compassionate and caring...he hears a tiny whimper and he's right by your side licking you gently....monty is quite oblivious.. :roll: but he is still very loving too... ;)

youre very lucky to have such a special dog. :flwr:

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the differences between Molly & Max. I've always felt deep down that she has a very loving soul but I wasn't quite sure if that was because she is a Cav or because it was her unique nature. Max is sweet & loving...loves to cuddle & kiss, but doesn't seem to be intuned with me like Molly is.

I am sooooo happy that this board exists to discuss our amazing dogs!

Thanks again!

Aww little sweetie :flwr: Maxx does this too and we laugh as it's so funny. I always remember when Maxx found a dead pigeon behind the trees that were in our garden. He kept running back and forth to me crying and pawing the dead bird :roll:

My Vet said if it was any of his Cavs they'd have eaten it :yuk:

that is the cutest story about Molly feeling sorry for her toy dog when it got "hurt."

lovely tribute to Lily, Shay. and all the other stories--i loved reading them and found them interesting too.

i'm glad you brought this up because i'd been wondering about it. My first two dogs who i had for several years each were exactly like that, if i cried, they licked my eyes and face and were very concerned and focused on me, the slightest sound of a whimper brought them running to me--they were so concerned, i actually sometimes felt bad about it and wanted to make them feel better.

Belle is like that too. Zack is not. And i was surprised because i thought it was just a dog thing, i thought all dogs do that, it's their instinct or something. Once in a while if i cry, Zack will come up and lick me for a little while and then will stop--unlike the other dogs who would be there for the duration. But often he doesn't do it at all. He's not oblivious. He looks at me with a look of interest and concern, but he doesn't have the strong urge to shower me with affection like my other dogs did, or as Belle does. she's not mine exactly but she lives with me for the past month and will be here indefinitely. i have her on loan at the moment, and am able to really get to know her.

I really liked it when my other dogs were so comforting and affectionate, and i was surprised when Zack wasn't. I wished that he would be, at the time. It feels nice.

I'm interested to hear it's not just a male thing, but is a personality thing. This is a typical expression of Zack's general personality--he is kind of, how do i say it, very happy go lucky (the word cavalier definitely applies)--he doesn't seem to ever worry about anything, and in everything, he sees some cause for happiness, or, if it's not a cause of happiness, then he's not very interested. He's very active and playful and he doesn't seem to have a very serious side. It's all about play, springing high in the air, rolling on his back with a toy in his mouth, and laughing. that's what i fell in love with when i picked zack--the happy look on his face. He makes me laugh so much with his attitude and antics, and the look on his face, mouth smiling, eyes bright with expectancy of something good. (when we are out for a walk, i can't tell you how many times people walking by have said "Happy dog!")

It's all the more sweet when he crawls into my lap because of this way that he is. while individuals differ very much, regardless of gender, there are gender stereotypes, however invalid, and zack does fit the strereotype of a "boy," and belle is a more stereotyical "girl."

Once, i was so exhausted after a grueling week at work, and my mom was literally rapidlyy falling to pieces day by day with dementia and suddenly wasn't able to live alone, it happened overnight, she was falling, she injured her head, it was all on me to figure out what to do, i was trying to take care of it, i was so stressed out and scared and freaked, and it was late on a friday night, and i was having trouble getting myself up on my feet so i could go brush my teeth and go to bed, it sounded too hard, one of those nights, and finally i got up, but i only went a few steps and then i sat down on the floor and started crying. Zack came up and licked me, that was one of the times when he licked me, and i don't take it for granted--it's such a special thing since he doesn't always do it. then he went away, i was still crying, and i opened my eyes for second and there he was, right in my face with a big goofy looking dog toy, inviting me to throw it. That's his way of trying to make things better. It works for him, so why not?! It made me laugh so hard, for quite a while. then i cried some more. but i did throw the toy for him a few times and i did feel much better.

Hi Judy....That's a sweet story about Zack. I especially loved the way you say he comes with his toy to comfort you. Like I said in my previous post, I just thought all Cavs were like Lily. I've always had female dogs. My Old English was very sweet and compassionate. She was a love bug, and couldn't stand to see anyone cry. For the 2 years my Dad was home-bound before he died, she would not leave his side. She grieved so when he died, I had to take her to the Vet. She refused to eat and all she would do was sleep in the spot where his hospital bed had been. He adored her and she him. I was 17 when I got her, and still lived at home w/my parents when he died. My Lhasa was totally differant. It was all about her :) She would love you on her terms and was very independent. Lily is truly a Velcro dog who never lets me out of her sight. She is so sweet, you just want to protect her. I guess all dogs do have their own personalities. I really did think all Cavs were alike in their loving ways though.

thank you all so much for sharing these stories. i have really enjoyed reading them and it really does show what a special gift a dog can be.

indy is also quite 'cavalier' and sounds a lot like zack but he definately has his loving side as well. i'm going to try making the ouch sound with indy but i'm about 99.9% sure he won't be concerned....he 'kills' his toys with such joyful abandon i can't imagine anything stopping him :roll: what a sweet sensitive dog molly must be :D

i was so suprised to hear about maxx and his concern over the dead pidgeon! indy's favourite outdoor activity is stalking pidgeons and their left-behind feathers so he definately wouldn't have had the same reaction :lol: sounds like maxx would be a great dog to have around if you were ever outside in trouble! a real 'lassie!'

thanks again for the lovely stories :D

k

Oh yes, I too thank everyone for sharing their stories as I just loved reading every word. Judy's story about Zack bringing a toy to cheer his mum up....had to fight back a few tears. I can envision my Max doing something like that one day.... What Max does do which makes me laugh and smile and can change a frown around.... is his wiggles. When he is happy, his back end (half of his body) wags from side to side. It's beyond cute in our book. It looks more like a dance than just a dog wagging his tail. (and we can even get Max to do his 'dance' if we start wiggling ourselves!)

I think I feel the same about my pups as Shay feels about Lily...I just can't imagine life without them.

Thanks again!!!

Back