• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Irish/Dublin members: dognappers

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I have reports there is a gang working in the Kilbarrack area with numerous stolen dogs; the gardai are aware of them it is said. Just a reminder to please be sure to always have your cavalier in sight and never leave the dog out in the back garden during the day or night. (y)

Dognapping is a serious crime on the rise in the Republic and the UK, as has been reported over the past year, so do not be complacent.

Just a little more information on this:

Apparently a Lakeland Terrier was taken from outside Donaghmede shopping centre (the woman left the dog outside while she went to the shop). The dognappers were caught on cctv and drive a silver colour van with an English registration.

The gardai know who these people are and traced the dog back to a house in the area - the dog was reunited with the owner as far as I know.

Thanks! I know someone who, on the ferry, ended up talking to a guy from the UK coming over to take back supposed 'rescue' dogs for English people wanting specific breeds. He worked with a gang in the Cork or Limerick area who would steal to order! Then people would give him a donation for what they thought was a rescue dog!! :shock: He thought it was a great way to make easy money.

These people are out there, and cavaliers are easy to steal, easy to sell. Another reason to keep 'em indoors.

I heard a more horrific reason why these dogs are being taken - I would much rather believe your story. :(

Thanks for the warning I saw a sign in the petshop today also.

I live near these areas but my two only go out to the back garden for toilet ,I'll keep a closer eye on them when they go out now although they usually scratch to come back in straight away, unless there are cat's to bark at. Otherwise they are indoors,and never out unless on a lead.

I personally don't agree with tying dogs up outside shops,if I don't have anyone with me to mind them outside then I don't bring them.

I also don't think it's a good idea to leave these dogs out in the garden when you go out, I used to leave my jack russell out years ago but although they'll bark like mad at strangers who come near the house Gus and Pip think everyone is their friend so I'd be scared to leave them out.

The dog that was taken from Donaghmede shopping centre was our next door neighbour and Coco's best friend! her name is Roxy and she has since been found and returned to my neighbour. As you can imagine it was a terrible few days and really made me nervous about going anywhere with Coco! I would never let her off the lead and even leave her for a minute. Roxy was only left for a few minutes and as my neighbour came out of the shop she saw a woman grab roxy and throw her in a car. Thank god CCTV picked up the reg number and they were able to find her :)

Thats great that they got Roxy back. :)

Hopefully whoever is doing this will be caught soon. I'm even getting nervous when mine go out to toilet at night and dissappear up the garden where I can't see them! Pip can be a little devil and pretend he doesn't hear when you call him,then come rambling around from the side passage or out from behind the shed just as we are about to panic :yikes

My eldest son said that there is a poster just recently up in Raheny train station about a missing cavalier,I hope it's not connected. :(

Boy! am I glad that I'm a worrier now!! I would never let a dog out of my sight. I remember taking Rudee as a puppy , to Superquinn in Sutton and tying her up outside (I didn't have a car at the time) I ran around the shop like a lunatic and only managed to get a couple of items. By the time I got back to her, my heart was thumping in my chest and I said "never again!" I accompany my dogs everywhere -I'm so blessed to have been afforded the opportunity to care for these wonderful girlies and I don't care who thinks I'm daft or paranoid or over- protective; that's just the way it is. It's my way or the high-way :badgrin:

Thanks for the warning. I think I'll print up some notices and put them up in the local parks and shopping areas where people usually leave their dogs.

:flwr:

There's a notice in the petshop in donaghmede telling people not to leave dogs tied up outside shops or alone in cars even for a few minutes.
Good advice I think.

Claire , I don't think you are daft or paranoid or over-protective.
I'm the same with my dogs and my kids (who think I'm all of the above!)

Some are also stolen to use as bait for fighting dogs -- the SPCA and vets and welfare people are well familiar with this sad situation. They are also stolen by people who will sell them on to puppy farms and the dog will end its days in a small cage. So for every reason possible -- never leave a dog out in a garden when not being minded or in a car or outside a shop even for a moment. Cavaliers are a favourite target as people will pay ready money for an unneutered potential breeding animal in particular. :(

I know I am not in Ireland but there has been 2 dogs take from there back gardens in Scotland 1 was a Yorky---and 1 was CKCS just show you never know what might happen ----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

I just heard this morning about a cavalier gone missing "potentially stolen" in the harmonstown area in Dublin. This dog was neutered. I don't know all of the details but I know the gardai are involved. :(

It's on the front page of the local free paper. Seems it's a dog belonging to a young boy with Downs syndrome who really misses the dog.
They let the dog out the front door to go to the toilet and it didn't scratch to come back in.

Personally I would never allow mine out the front door on their own,I really do hope they get the dog back.I think the dog is about two years old.

They feel it may have been abandoned as it was neutered.I don't even want to think about it as it is just too scary and sad. Maybe it just strayed, if not, I hope they get whoever is doing this! :(

Back