Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free reign of house...how old?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aleethomas
    Like I said she's still too young to be trusted. She's 17 weeks old. I've only left her a few times when I know she doesn't have to go potty and I need to run to the car or this morning when my boyfriend drove me to work. (he was gone 15 minutes). Our place is totally puppy proof and she's still not big enough to get on the couch by herself .
    I dont know about that... Kodee is 11 wks and pulled half her body up onto a bench, table and couch today. I will leave her in a xpen while I take a shower, but not a second loose. Even in the xpen, I remove certain toys when she is alone, like the tennis ball that took all of 5 min for her to shave bald!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ike the tennis ball that took all of 5 min for her to shave bald!
    Wow, that's impressive!

Because of the dogs, I have to feed my cats on a shelf next to their cat tree. Jaspar however has figured out this week that he can jump onto the first level of the cat tree. I am sure it is only time before I find him relaxing 7 feet up on the top shelf, having finished off the cats' bowl of dry food. And that is why I'd never leave them wandering around the house!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't leave mine free in the house until Jake was over 2 years old and Shelby close to 1 1/2. I have a puppy gate that closes off my family room, kitchen and my office. I have been very fortunate in that neither mine is very curious. When I leave they settle down on the couch or lay on the kitchen floor...and that's where they are when I come home. I would say my house definitely is not puppy proof....which is why I crated them up until this age.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never!

Now I know CKCS are probably not as destructive as Boxers but my husband & I learned our lesson one cold night when we went out to dinner. We left the dogs in the house for only 2 $%*@ hours. When we got home, they had totally destroyed my favourite lounge. All the big pillows had been ripped up & turned into confetti and they had actually dug a huge hole in the base of the lounge right down to the floor.

My husband & I knew we had been bad & stupid to leave them in, so we silently & looking like stunned mullets, walked around with huge green garbage bags and collected up the mess.

So out little troopies only get left inside the house unsupervised, with kiddy doors & barriers in place.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraline
    :....When we got home, they had totally destroyed my favourite lounge. All the big pillows had been ripped up & turned into confetti and they had actually dug a huge hole in the base of the lounge right down to the floor....

This reminds me of my friend's dog, he was mutt from the pound, about the size of a small lab, one time Don was visiting his parents' apartment, and they all decided to go out to dinner, and they left Beez in the apartment, as Don had always left him home at his own place. When they got home, there was a hole dug all the way through the FRONT DOOR and Beez was gone. It waz like, a FRONT DOOR, a big thick heavy door. I'm not sure how they found him later. this was a very long time ago. I wasn't there so it still is hard to believe, except Don had no reason to make it up. After that, Don's vet finally persuaded him to have Beez neutered, the vet said Beez must've smelled females outside and just plowed through that door.

by the way, in my first post i should've also said, i do think it depends on the dog. Dogs sure do differ in whether they are safe to leave alone or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraline
    Never!

Now I know CKCS are probably not as destructive as Boxers but my husband & I learned our lesson one cold night when we went out to dinner. We left the dogs in the house for only 2 $%*@ hours. When we got home, they had totally destroyed my favourite lounge. All the big pillows had been ripped up & turned into confetti and they had actually dug a huge hole in the base of the lounge right down to the floor.

My husband & I knew we had been bad & stupid to leave them in, so we silently & looking like stunned mullets, walked around with huge green garbage bags and collected up the mess.

So out little troopies only get left inside the house unsupervised, with kiddy doors & barriers in place.
    At least the lounge could be replaced. Years ago a friend of mine got her first car, a brand new Toyota. She put the dog (under a yr but over 6mths) in the car to go to the groomers plus made one small in/out store stop. When she got to the groomers and opened the back door, the dog had chewed off the entire leather padding on the door straight down to the steel She complained for the next 4 yrs while she drove her "new" car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh my!!!
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Jolly is 8 months old. Starting at 6 months old, I have tried a few times to leave him free in the house with the adult dogs. I have been gone between 1-3 hours. Every time he failed the test.

His favorite activities have been: digging all the dirt out of the house plants and spreading it all over the floor, chewing up all my decorative pine cones and his newest game, pulling all the paper towels off the towel rack and chewing them into little bitty pieces. All his hobbies have been easily cleaned up with a broom, but have proved that he is far from ready for this privilege.

The adult dogs range in age from 2.5-4.5 years old. They are reliable in the house while I am gone. Merry is the youngest of this group and she has been well behaved in the house while I am gone since she was 18 months old. They have a dog door to a fenced area, so they let themselves out when they have to relieve themselves or just to bark at the wildlife. (I live in the country).
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm going out for any length of time, Bella goes behind her puppy gate in the kitchen with her bed and some toys. I know now though that I can trust her for short periods of time, up to an hour, in the house without being confined. She sits on the mat in the hallway and waits for us to come home - she's so sweet!

She managed 2 escapes through the bars of the puppy gate as a puppy. Both times she located an chewed up my expensive Aveda hairbrush, nibbled a few skirting boards and left me a poo trail that Hansel and Gretel would have been proud of! Not too bad really - could have been MUCH worse!
    Mum to Bella - Ruby bitch (3 years old)

Post Thanks / Like

Of our 12 there's really only 3 that we let have the run of the house when we leave for a few hours. If I remember, it was probably at the age of 2 or 3 that we trusted them. There might be one or two more that would be OK, but they like their crates, so why tempt fate?

The one thing we really worry about is the dogs chewing on cords plugged into electrical receptacles, even when we are home. We can replace furniture, but we can't replace a dog that is electrocuted. Quite some time ago we replaced all the outlets that we plug cords into with GFI's. Makes me feel a little better, but I still can't help but think what if the GFI doesn't work like it's supposed to?
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers