• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food for a 7 month puppy

sinecurea

Hi Folks,
Ruby's not eating her food like she used to, so I'm looking to move her away from those pellet things onto something else.
Can anybody recommend the sort of food I could gradually move her on to?

Cheers,
S.

Is she not eating enough, or just not like she used to?

Lucky began losing his appetite at about the same age, but it is also the same age he stopped growing so quickly and I know that he his getting enough - he's just not ravenous about it like he used to be.

I can't offer any suggestions except you could try mixing some pumpkin in with the kibble and see if that interests her more. Lucky LOVES his kibble when I do that.

I have used pumpkin too and that works for me. Another good mixer is baby food. I have mixed meat flavored baby food with the kibble to get Jolly to eat. Right now I mix 1 tablespoon of canned dog food with Jolly's kibble. The dog food I use comes in dry and canned, so it has the same ingredients.

From 4 months to 7 months, I have tried the different mixers listed above to entice Jolly to eat and it worked. I mixed it in both his meals each day.

At 7 months is when Jolly's appetite got better. He stopped being so picky. So I only put a mixer in his dinner and not his breakfast. He is now 8 months old and I have been slowly cutting out the mixer. I think tomorrow will be the last time, because the can will be empty. I am hoping that I won't have to use mixers anymore. But we'll see.

Thanks for the replies. I'm using Jolly's at the moment. I she'd rather eat literally anytihng else - she only eats the Jolly's when there's nothing else going!

I think I'll try gradually switching to something else.

Would canned dog food be ok for her? Is she old enough?

Cheers,
Steve.

Where are you from Steve? The food that we recommend will be different for different regions. The states and UK have way different foods :flwr:

I mixed the canned dog food with the dry kibble and had really good results with that with my two dogs. I feed a chicken meal and rice formula to my dogs, and a similar canned (Eagle Pack or California Natural are both good), my dogs seem to both love the taste of California Natural.

Back