• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ellie and the Rotty

enchantingdragon

This morning we ran into a Rottwiler though and that scared her I think. It was walking across the street and she started to growl so I started telling her it was just a big puppy and not a big deal. The owner saw us and decided to walk over to have them meet. He kept saying he wont hurt you sweeti and I tried to walk her by him talking the whole time but she was barking and trying to run. I pet the Rotty and talked to her but she wouldnt come closer. I was going to pick her up at that point but the other owner I think felt bad she was scared so he walked away from us. After he left she was better but when she saw him in the distance she would growl a bit and I kept telling her in a sweet voice that it there wasnt anything to fear.

I guess this goes along with my other post about the growling. I can understand this situation of her being afraid as a Rotty is huge compared to her and this is probably her first time encountering another dog this much bigger then her. Plus when she was her breeder she was always out with more then one Cavalier so now she was all alone to encounter something like this. Still Im worried about this grolwing issue as I dont want her to be afraid of everything. Im trying to show her there is nothing to fear and trying to expose her to different situations in hopes of breaking this fear thing. Im thinking of signing up for a class or trainer who can assist me with this as she is my first dog and Im worried that if she doesnt get a push in the right direction soon she might be like this forever. Im trying as hard as I can talking to her and not being afraid myself and trying to show her its ok but I cant get her to stop grolwing at certain things :(

Hi Jasmine,

I recommend that you put miss Ellie in classes. :) This will help her be exposed to many other dogs and feel comfortable around them. Faith was SCARED out of her mind on Saturday with her tail between her legs but other dogs came up to see her and sniff her and although uneasy she finally figured out that they wouldn't hurt her. 2 days later my neighbor was out walking her lab/sheppard mix and Faith DARTED out to this dog tail wagging and everything (she'd never seen her before.) I think she would really benefit from classes as she'll meet all different kinds and sizes of dogs there. Kosmo was the same as ellie in the beginning too and although he still flips over to his back when we meet another dog, he's not scared at all anymore.. Good luck! :flwr:

I agree with Sara. Taking my shih tzu to classes was the best thing I ever did for him. He was miserable for the first few days, but eventually opened up and you could tell he looked forward to them. He hid behind my legs, and even was so bold to stretch the leash as far as he could and face the paking lot with his back to me. :lol: What a brat he was. Eventually he was the most well behaved dog there and really loved the social time. ;)

Yes puppy kindergarten was SO GOOD for Ellie! She's fearless anyway but it was nice to see her interactions and to see what is considered okay and what may need work. It is great for puppy parents, too!!!!

Back