• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

course coat

aleethomas

So I saw another cav puppy (blenheim) today who is 13 weeks and her coat was much softer than our 17 week old cav. Padden's coat (she's a tri) is really soft on her head and ears but towards her rear the texture of the coat changes and its noticeable rougher. It's almost wirey. And not much of it down there. I can tell a difference in texture between the black and white hair. The white hair seems to be thicker and the black finer.

Also the 13 week puppies coat seemed longer than Padden's. Is this normal or is there something that I should be doing for her? I've given her fish oil pills a few times but not regularly. She's been eating Bill Jac puppy until this week and is now on Wellness puppy (which she LOVES).

Will she ever have an all around soft coat?

Dylan is six months old on Friday but quite a while ago, his puppy coat started to change. His head and ears are still puppy fluff and his body has smooth thicker hair. I'm concerned as you say there isn't much of it. Can you post a picture? :flwr:

I'll try to post a picture tonight. She's been the vet and they haven't commented and they say she's healthy. She's just not fluffy all over and especially down by her rump.

Tilly just went throught the same thing at 16 weeks. It is normal unless there is substantial hairloss. Their coat changes as the are getting their teenager coat in :)

Cavaliers have different coat types - all three of mine are different. So I wouldn't worry about it if the vet doesn't think there's a problem. :flwr:

cathy- I didn't know that. Good to know! She's been into the vet 3 times now so if there was a problem I'm sure they would have said something.

Thanks for sharing!

My two have very different coats. Jake is whispier and softer than Shelby's and his coat is much longer. Shelby's coat is very thick and not as downy as his.

My Toby, blen, still has silky soft fur everywhere at one year.

As I had never seen a Cav in person before I got Toby, the first thing I noticed was the amazing softness of his coat. It is still the same.

Up until 4 months or so, my puppy had really coarse, wirey, long curly hair. He didnt have much hair on his tummy though.

Now it's silkier and smoother :D

Back