• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier moms/dads who work full-time

SFCAdogmom

Are there any Cavalier moms/dads who work full-time? We're considering a Cavalier because we love their temperament, and we have a resident medium sized dog of average energy level. After attending 2 dog shows, I found out many breeders will not place their Cavaliers where both mom & dad work.

We have no children. Our dog is our child and we dote on him big time, lots of walks, hikes & cuddle time. Our dog child sleeps in our bed. We have many dog friends & socialize a lot with our dog. I feel sad that I'm excluded from Cavaliers, but I want to do the right thing for all. We wouldn't dream of leaving the Cavalier at home alone when it's not the best thing. Is this really only a dog for those "at home" only?

Thanks for your patient instruction...I'm new & not sure where was best place to post question...

We are getting our little one this weekend...

Both my hubby and I will continue to work (I am only working for about 4 more months -- on and off). But we do have a doggie "daycare" that we will be taking Cicero to so that he is not alone and has socialization and human contact throughout the day.

Talk to various breeders about your situation.

I know every breeder we talked to asked us about our situation and I said that even if I was out, Cicero would be in some form of human supervision... through our "puppy nanny" (a friend who loves our dog as much as we do) or through our puppy daycare. It was very important to us to meet our dogs needs!!!

Each breeder feels differently I am sure... and they are saying this for good reason!!! Cavaliers love the human contact and are bred for companionship!!

I am counting down the days until I stay at home full time (just waiting for the family I nanny for to find a new nanny). DH is a med student, so sometimes he works a 7 day week, sometimes a 4 or 5 day week... :)

Both my boyfriend and I work full time. Padden is now 17 weeks and up until this week I was able to bring her to work with me. I would crate her in the mornings and then pick her up at lunch and she would stay with me through the afternoon. But things have changed and I can no longer bring her with me everyday so now she is crated from 9-12. Then I go home everyday for lunch to let her out and walk/play with her for 30-45 minutes. Then she goes into a closed off hallway with her toys, food, and crate from 1:30-6. Then one of us is home to let her out. She stays up with us until we all go to bed around 11. She won't lay down to sleep for the night until we are both in bed!

She's done fine so far. Granted she's potty trained now and she never goes potty in her crate or while out in the blocked off hallway. I don't think we'd be where we are now in terms of potty training if I hadn't had the chance to be with her majority of the day. She honestly slept majority of the time that I had her at work. So I'm sure she does the same at home.

I will eventually take her to doggy care a few times a month as I think she will really like that.

I know other people who work full time that have cavaliers, but they are also able to get home to them at lunch and are with them in the evenings.

I'm not sure what others on the forum do & I'm curious to find out! Glad you asked!

My breeder was quite relieved when I told her that I would be bringing my Cav to work with me. She says Cavies are prone to separation anxiety because they are "love sponges" and that can lead to destructive behaviours. Actually, I don't know of any breed where separation anxiety isn't an issue.

I've also heard from some people that leaving a toy breed alone with the expectation that it hold its tiny bladder for eight or more hours is asking a lot - but I don't know about the Cav specifically because it is a little on the larger side of toy.

Ideally, we would all stay home and hang out with our sweet pooches, but the reality is most people choose or need to work.

Most dog trainers will tell you that crate training your pup so he/she is at least in a safe place where he/she can't do any harm is a good solution. Over time, your Cavie will get used to it and settle into the routine. If you can find a way to break up the day by coming home at lunch, that would be good.

Or as Cicero's mum mentioned, perhaps a doggie day care may be an option?

A cavalier is an extremely attached to his/her family members. If left alone for long periods of time, they can have issues. A pup can't usually hold its bladder for 8-10 hours either. If a person has a plan for dealing with a pup-- and then a cavaliers eccentricities, a dual working household can work.

Josh and I both have full time jobs. Spencer and Izzy can both hold it 7-8 hours and are fine during the day. Tilly is doing really well with holding it too. The fact that you have another dog is good so that it will have company. I would hate for you to be "excluded" from cavaliers just because you both work. Sure it would be great if I could stay home with the babes or bring them to work, but that is not a reality for me. Mine seem fine and are definitely not "emotionally scarred" from staying at home without me. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Hi SFCAdogmom;

Great question.

First of all I am single and work full time. I have gone through 2 different breeders and they knew this about me. When I lived alone, I dropped my 2 cavaliers (Pippin & Merry) at doggy day care while I worked. So they got plenty of attention and playtime while I was at work.

Then 2 years ago, I bought my parents house and they live with me. However, my parents often take their camper for 3-5 months a year and hit the road. So my adult cavaliers are home by themselves while I work. I believe if you have more than one dog, they have company and are not lonely.

A puppy though, I would never leave home alone while I am at work. I take my current puppy to doggy day care every day, while the 3 adult dogs are at home. My work is an hour away from home, so I cannot go home on my lunchtime.

Since currently my parents are traveling, I am also taking a different adult dog once a week to daycare. They love the exercise and the interaction with other dogs and people. It is great socializing for them.

I have used doggy daycare for 3 years now. It is great.

Once the puppy is fully grown, I will not be taking him daily to daycare, but every dog is different and I have no idea when my current puppy (Jolly) can be trusted at home with the other dogs. He is 8 months now and I don't even think he will be ready at 12 months. The few times I have gone shopping and left him home, he has chewed something up. He is OK in his crate, but I wouldn't leave a dog in a crate for the 12 hours I am away each day.

Since I already did daycare with Merry & Pippin, I believe Merry was 18 months old before I could leave her and Pippin at home. Before that, they all went to daycare.

Thanks for everyone' stories.

We both work literally 6 minutes from home. Going home for lunch or more often is easy, as part of my job is not desk bound. Plus I can easily take our dog to work as I need to. I still had one breeder say this is not an acceptable solution and I have not talked to many other breeders. It was discouraging because I wish breeders who have this crieteria would state it up front, so I wouldn't even have to take up their time asking questions.

We crate trained our resident dog so I'm also well aware that puupies cannot hold it.

Both my husband and I work full time as well though my husband is a teacher and thus has a bit more free time then most. I am currently trying to work my way into education as well so we can have similar schedules. When I first started looking into Cavaliers I was also told by many breeders that they wouldn't sell to me because we both worked and like you I was very saddened and discouraged by this.

One of the first breeders I met (she is fantastic by the way) told me flat out the first time we spoke she didnt think she would ever sell me a dog because my husband and I both worked. We talked and talked though as she was willing to teach me things about the breed. At one point she asked if I ever heard of SM. I had not at the time so she said to check out a website and to read up on it and then call her the next day. I did just that and called her the next day. I think she was a bit shocked as Im sure breeders get a lot of interested people but once the criteria stack up go the easy way of puppy mills. Well we talked some more and more and she eventually invited me up to met her and her dogs. I went with my husband and we stayed for 5 hours talking and playing with her pups. I know consider her a good friend and even though I didnt end up getting a pup from her she told me she would gladly sell me a pup at anytime when I wanted one so I hope this shows that even though a lot of breeders are picky if you show genuine interest and knowledge about the breed you might be able to change their minds if you keep at it. Breeders want good homes first and forth most so I think if they can see that you will be spending a lot of quality time with your pup when you can they may not be so upset about the amount of time.

On another note it happens that the breeder I got my Ellie from works full time as does her husband so she def understood the full time working needs as well. She spends a lot of quality time with her dogs and I think it more then makes up for the time she is away. She has her dogs so well trained that during the day Ellie stays in her kennel until my husband comes home from work. She is fine with and never has had an accident and is so use to it all you have to say is "Kennel up" and she runs right in herself. And being that my breeder works full time you can see that the time she spent with her dogs is definitely more quality then quantity

I agree, I think a lot of breeders will consider you as long as they think you are the right person for their puppy. I am a teacher, so we all wake up at about 6. My fiance leaves at about 8:30, we have a dog walker come at 12:30ish, and I am home by 4:30-5. I have two, so they have each other during the day, and we have another 6-7 hours of cuddling and playing when we get home. It is like having another full time job, though. They crave you when you are home! I miss them all day and can't wait to get home and play! Also, I have summers off, and I plan on staying home when we start having kids, which will be in a couple years. All that being said, I think having two definitely helps, but as long as you are prepared for the added challenges of working full time, you'll find the right dog for you. You just need to have a plan and an understanding of their needs. My fiance noted that he understands why Cav breeders ask so many questions... these are special and amazing dogs!!! :) Good luck in your search!

I also think it is a matter of talking to numerous breeders. I know from many reports that it can be hard enough to find a breeder with puppies that will put you on a waiting list regardless. So it is just difficult generally to find the breeder who is the right fit.

It will take the perseverence of talking to lots of people and explaining politely the situation you have at home right now, the efforts you have made in the past, and the arrangements you plan to make. It might also be worth considering a slightly older dog, up to a year old, as a breeder may be more willing to home a dog not in its very early puppy stages.

I home a couple of rescue cavaliers a month on average and I have no issues at all homing to working homes as long as they are clear on how they will successfully manage a dog home during the day; and it helps if they have another dog already for companionship. However I would have more concerns if I were homing a puppy for the reasons some have noted -- it is just really a long day for a small puppy and for the owner and dog, so much easier to take a slightly older dog (say at least over 6 months).

I've never understood the 'rule of not homing to a working home or unless the home has a fenced yard/garden. Some of the best homes I know are gardenless full time working homes. Some of the worst I've taken rescues from, are homes with someone there most of the day -- who keeps the dog out in the garden all day long. :(

I think each individual should be assessed on their merits rather than painting each group with a broad brush. There are families where mum & the kids are at home and yet the poor dog just gets thrown his meal & ignored for the rest of the time. On the other hand there are working folk who though may not be home during the day, include their dogs in all their leisure activities.

If I were placing a puppy I know which family I would choose.

Anyway, didn't you say you already have a dog? If the existing dog is of the size & temperament where the CKCS can eventually be with him then he will not be alone but will have another canine companion.

If you haven't already got a dog, then you could consider 2 Cavaliers :badgrin:

I'm single and work full time..I have a 1 year old cav and a 9 year old lab..I am able to come home at lunch for at least 1/2 hour and they go to daycare at least twice a week...frequently my cav will not potty at lunch even tho given the opportunity..they both do fine.

I was working when I got my first Cavalier, but it helped that I was working in a veterinary clinic. That's where I met the breeder. Hubby worked too, but the breeder wasn't hesitant to let me have the puppy because she knew that there would be no problem about taking the dog to work with me.

I haven't worked in the past 10 years and have another Cavalier now. Sometimes we are gone for longer than we expect to be, but they are very forgiving girls and just glad to see us when we get here. I had them crate trained but went out of town and "someone" decided that they needed full run of the house. I disagree with this but wasn't able to over-rule, although the older Cavalier will still go into her crate when she wants her privacy.

People are strange, you know? I was at a meeting once about wildlife rehabbers and one of the speakers got up and said that rehabbers were almost as bad as breeders. A bit offensive, but I knew what he meant!!

That's a problem ! my breeder would not have sold me Ulysse if I had work full time. She was relieved when I told her that he would be with my parents when I go to work. She never sells dogs to people who let them alone because she considers that Cavaliers can't bear loneliness.
The best solution : go to work with them if possible !

I live alone and work full time. My 5 month old doesn't have any problems really. At first yes, but not anymore.

I have a dog flap on the back door and he lets himself in and out as he pleases.

Sometimes I will come home for lunch (i live 5 mins from work) and have a quick play with him.

When I am at home I make sure to spend plenty of time with him. Walks, beach and plenty of fun time e.g. I sit on the floor whilst watching tv and play with him.

I like these questions. It would be great if we could all afford to sit at home all day, but sadly - most of us simply cannot! My husband works 4 days/week and I work 2, sometimes 3. I consider myself VERY lucky with this arrangement. I commute a long distance those days though, and my DH works juuuust far enough away that he can't come home during lunch. So, until our puppy has outgrown his puppyhood and we think he can handle being alone in the house during the day, my DH will be dropping him/her of at doggy daycare (a great one in our area has a special puppy section) 1 or 2 days a week. Possibly one day every other week we may leave our pup with DH's retired father, but I don't want to impose too much on him.

I know there are LOTS of people that have had issues with breeders not approving them for puppies simply because both people work all day, every day. That is really sad, since I'm sure a lot of animal lovers and potential awesome Cavalier owners may be forced to buy from unethical breeders. :yuk: We never had that problem with breeders approving us, probably since I work part time. (shrugs)

I know people on this board that stay home all day, and also people who work full-time. It's do-able!!

I'm single and live alone. My 10 1/2 month old Cavalier unfortunatley has to stay crated all day. I also have a 10 year old Newfoundland, who was brought up the same way. Although this is not the ideal way for them to spend their days, I don't have much of a choice. I, without a doubt, love all dogs from the time I was a child, and I could never live my life without at least one dog. Some people think it's cruel and sometimes I agree, but I feel as if I give them a really good home. I take excellent care of them and feed the best food that I can afford. I spend lots of time with both of them. I rarely go out after work and limit my weekend activities. I guess I'll always be single...LOL. But I do that because I'm away so much during the week. I am so looking forward to the day that Scout can have free roam of the house. I think I will feel a little less guilty everyday.

As someone said earlier some people stay home all day and their dogs are with them, and don't get as good of care or the attention that we try and make up for due to the lack of time spent at home due to work.

I work full-time and crate my dogs during the day. My breeder would not let me have a puppy unless I had two for company. I'm not sure if this was the correct thing but it works well for us. They definitely keep each other company and seem not to have separation anxiety. I have a dog walker come in during the day and walk them and let them out so they do not have to hold it too long. They seem to be happy.

Back