• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Training classes

ann

Ellie is 13 weeks old now. I want to get her into training classes but there is a 2 month waiting list.... Yesterday I was talking to the lady who runs the classes and has 2 Cavaliers of her own. She was telling me that I must get Ellie used to walking on the lead. I told her that I had taken Ellie out around the park, and how amazed I was that she wasn't afraid of anything.....ducks, dogs, tractor noises etc. She does pull and I know that is somthing I have to address.
But this is what she told me to do and I would like your opinion on this one....she said.....I MUST let her off the lead in a quiet spot. Take plenty of treats with me. She assures me tha Ellie will come back when I call her because she will be afraid of loosing her Mummy ( me).... I told her that Ellie is VERY out going and afraid it seems of nothing. She said that is a good thing and again said Ellie would still want to come back to me as she is still a baby...........Personally I think she will run off and not come back when I call her. But I am not the expert.....what do you think??

this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't chance it.
:shock:

I wouldn't do it with my babies. You can practise recall on a long lead, with treats. You can get 50' line leads too.

Cavaliers are curious little creatures with a short attention span when distracted, and conveniently deaf.

Good luck with the training when it starts.

NO WAY!!! I wouldn't chance it, unless you are 100% sure she will come back to you.

In Dylan's class we are outside on a grassed area but in a completely safe enclosed area. It's the quadrant inside a college. Once the class has started, the doors are locked to the whole building. Even then, we only let one pup off the lead at a time to practice recall. The trainer is highly qualified and has been training for 25 years.

I'd go somewhere else if there's a waiting list and if she is encouraging you to take a risk like this. :flwr:

Look on your vets notice board for trainers or ask him/her.

Only risk off lead if you are in an area from which your dog cannot escape.

If you want a different class, log onto Dogpages and ask. There is bound to be someoen from your area with a class to recommend.

I'm not happy with retractable leads, having cut my hand with one and hearing of thier unreliability, but Pets at Home now stock training leads (ie extra long ones) made by Halti. They are a nice soft fabric and come in various lengths. One of mine can be a long lead, a normal lead for one or two dogs, as well as having clips so you can tie your dog to your waist.

Back