• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cost to Win Westminster Champion

Sydney

Ruby and Sydney Here,

Although we were EXTREMELY disappointed that Rocky the Cavalier didn't win Westminster, we were thrilled that at least a Spaniel won. A English Springer Spaniel, but a spaniel nonetheless. What made it even more special was James was from our area Fairfax Station. What made our eyes pop out was the interview with the owners. They said the following:

The Pattons say they spent somewhere north of $100,000 on their campaign for James as he racked up 51 best-in-show victories over the last few years and built a national reputation. The Westminster title comes with ribbons and bragging rights, but no cash. When asked how they planned to recoup their investment, the Pattons recoiled. Inhabitants of the purebred-dog world get touchy at the notion that financial considerations might play any part in what they do. "We're in this to enhance the breed," Allen Patton said.

I know you humans like us canine types, but WHOA BABY. :yikes That's some serious cash. The good thing is James' owner, just like the the Cavalier owvers on this site, has only the best interest of the breed as their goal. cl*p Sydney and I are going to drive over and visit with James and see just what kind of place he's living in. I wonder if he gets to sleep on his owners bed like Sydney and I. :D In case you are interested in the rest of the story, I've attached the article from the Washington Post.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/14/AR2007021401861.html

Ruby and Sydney

As always, it's a pleasure to read your opinion on any subject.

That is an awful lot of money. Could you just imagine how many dog treats you would get for $100,00? You would never have to drive to the store again.

That's another reason for wanting a 'pet quailty' cavalier.

Jake and Shelby....you are now officially not the most spoiled animals on the planet! Man that's a lot of dough!

Don't feel too sad for them-- A BIS Westminster stud fee could be astronomical. The whole idea for a dog show is to judge breeding dogs to their breed standard.

OH MY GOSH!!!!! That concept never even crossed our minds untiil you mentioned it. :sl*p: $100,000 in doggie treats. I mentioned it to Sydney and she's over in the corner in the fetal position drooling over the thought. HMMMM, I wonder if Dad's limit on his credit card is $100,000. The only question remaining is whether the treat store has $100,000 in treats. :D

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

Cathy T said:
Jake and Shelby....you are now officially not the most spoiled animals on the planet! Man that's a lot of dough!

me too me too..

Kosmo and Faith want to know if Ruby and Sydney would be kind enough to share their $100,000 worth of treats and toys?! icon_whistling :flwr:

Goodness me, Ruby and Sydney, just think how many homeless dogs that $100,00 could have helped, let alone the dog treats ;)

If his Mamma is a dog trainer then our Mamma says she's obviously earning her money back on the back of having such a champion dog - don't worry too much about her overspending ;)

I'm sure your Mom and Dad love you just as much as that boy's loved anyway. We know ours do :flwr:

Lots of love

Maxx and Charlie :paw: :lotsaluv:

My uncle raised thoroughbred and standardbred horses and spent astronomical amounts of cash on training, vet fees and travel exoenses and though he was quite successful on the track, he never came close to recouping those costs with his winnings. The money is in breeding.

On a related note, I wrote an article a few years ago on police dogs and was told it costs between $100,000 - $150,000 to train each dog and many of them never make the grade.

Back