Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chewing on wires

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there is bitter spray on all the wires now (Willow wasn't impressed with that, which is a good thing!) and she has a few new toys to keep her interest. Here's to hoping we can survive teething #2!

Thanks everyone for the advice

Krista
    ======================
    Krista & Willow

Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea there was another destructive chewing stage. This explains a lot of what I've been going through with Coco recently! Thank you once again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chewing isn't the same as teething. Some dogs will be chewers all their lives; others will do it up til around a year or so. Leo and Jaspar both chewed til about then. Jaspar never chewed as a small puppy but went thru a phase from about 8 months to a year and demolished two unsuspecting shoes.

As with children -- do not rely on teaching a puppy or dog to leave dangerous objects like wires alone. You have to dog-proof (not just puppy proof) the house -- eg assume this is for life s even a non-chewer may gnaw a wire when you've gone out, out of boredom. Get all wires up off the floor and into tubing you can buy to encase it, & keep things you don't want chewed out of access. In general, anything that a dog can reach is going to potentially be fair game -- and anything dangerous, such as poisons, some foodstuffs, cleaning products, medications, snail pellets and other garden poisons, antifreeze -- should never be accessible to a dog.

I know of a case where a cavalier pupppy chewed into a live wire and was electrocuted so this is a very serious hazard.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

For our rabbit I bought the cheap (under a buck) shower rod plastic covers - cut them into length needed. Now the plastic is soft so if you dog is truely a chewer - its not going to hold him off long (use Bruce's pvc idea). But is we are talking puppy curious stage it works (ever see how sharp a rabbits teeth are, he hasnt destroyed them in a yr and he is out 5 hrs a day). Mostly it just makes the cord no fun, so they go bother other things

Post Thanks / Like

Well, actually Coco has just been really after the carpets and rugs again. She won't give up! She has never chewed a wire because they are all hidden. I puppy-proofed the house really well before she came from the breeders.