Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really Stupid Question - Poop Disposal!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really Stupid Question - Poop Disposal!

Star has me very well trained to take her out frequently, and so she maintains her perfect record with doing her business outside (that's only 6 days...). But what exactly do I do with the poop??

I know there's all sorts of little disposal bags that can be used, but where exactly do you put them? Our trash can is in the garage, and garbage is picked up once a week. So, doesn't the garbage get overwhelmingly stinky when the weather is above freezing? Do you flush the poop down the toilet? Use one of those Doggie Dooley mini septic tank type things?

Obviously, I am clueless.

Thanks for any help!
    Barb, activity director for Star (tri-color girl) and Ruby (Blenheim girl)

Post Thanks / Like

Any poop that doesn't go in the backyard gets flushed in my household.
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I usually toss mine in city trash cans along our walk if I can ...

If it is too cold to get to one of those then I flush the poop down the toilet and tie the empty bag and put it in the garbage.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

In our area, we have recycling bins, that's where animal waste is deposited.

Yep, it gets a bit stinky in the summer.

If we're at the beach or in a large park, we just put it in the garbage bins.

Post Thanks / Like

It rains quite frequently here...we just let nature do it's job in our backyard We have a HUGE backyard and the cavies do their business on the opposite end from were the humans hang out. Never had a problem

On walks, we have a baggie attachment on the handle of the leash and just toss it in outdoor trash when we get home.
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

We have a similar set up to Monica although in the summer with grass needing to be mowed very often, hubby gets to the piles with a shovel the night before the garbage truck comes, puts the poop in a bag and into the garbage can...usually this prevents a huge stinch.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I use sented nappy bags, 300 for £1 in the pound shop. I put a double knot in the bag and put it in the wheely bin in the garden.

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes i use the little plastic bags you get at the supermarket. i scoop up the poop using the bag as a sort of glove, turn it inside out, tie it up. and throw it away.

usually i just bring newspaper or paper towels and drop it into the trash cans on the road where i live but i live in the city so i don't know if that would work for you....

k
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)

Post Thanks / Like

I heard it wasn't a good idea to put down the loo - to do with spreading parasites I think. I use biodegradable poop bags and just put in our wheelie bins - no prob with smell because it's contained. I think one should avoid non biodegradable bags.
    Scampi (Blenheim female) 19 weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!
    I keep a small metal can with the press foot the lid goes up and down (when it is down you can't smell a thing)...I line it with odor killing pellets then put a plastic bag from the grocery in it as a liner. I pick up the poop with commercial poop bags and tie a tight not then drop in the small can.
    We have trash pick up two days a week and then I pull out the liner and know it tight then drop in the trash can and take the garbage down to the street. It is not bad....it can be when the lid opens real quick during the summer. But the poopy does not go into my garbage cans until I am hauling it to the street.
    Can't use a doggy dooley as the ground freezes around here in the cold months.

Nancy
    Teddy and sweet, little Katydid