• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really Stupid Question - Poop Disposal!

Barb B

Star has me very well trained to take her out frequently, and so she maintains her perfect record with doing her business outside (that's only 6 days...). But what exactly do I do with the poop??

I know there's all sorts of little disposal bags that can be used, but where exactly do you put them? Our trash can is in the garage, and garbage is picked up once a week. So, doesn't the garbage get overwhelmingly stinky when the weather is above freezing? Do you flush the poop down the toilet? Use one of those Doggie Dooley mini septic tank type things?

Obviously, I am clueless.
:sl*p:

Thanks for any help!

I usually toss mine in city trash cans along our walk if I can ...

If it is too cold to get to one of those then I flush the poop down the toilet and tie the empty bag and put it in the garbage.

In our area, we have recycling bins, that's where animal waste is deposited.

Yep, it gets a bit stinky in the summer.

If we're at the beach or in a large park, we just put it in the garbage bins. :)

It rains quite frequently here...we just let nature do it's job in our backyard icon_whistling We have a HUGE backyard and the cavies do their business on the opposite end from were the humans hang out. Never had a problem ;)

On walks, we have a baggie attachment on the handle of the leash and just toss it in outdoor trash when we get home.

We have a similar set up to Monica although in the summer with grass needing to be mowed very often, hubby gets to the piles with a shovel the night before the garbage truck comes, puts the poop in a bag and into the garbage can...usually this prevents a huge stinch.

I use sented nappy bags, 300 for £1 in the pound shop. I put a double knot in the bag and put it in the wheely bin in the garden. 8)

sometimes i use the little plastic bags you get at the supermarket. i scoop up the poop using the bag as a sort of glove, turn it inside out, tie it up. and throw it away.

usually i just bring newspaper or paper towels and drop it into the trash cans on the road where i live but i live in the city so i don't know if that would work for you....

k

I heard it wasn't a good idea to put down the loo - to do with spreading parasites I think. I use biodegradable poop bags and just put in our wheelie bins - no prob with smell because it's contained. I think one should avoid non biodegradable bags.

Hello!
I keep a small metal can with the press foot the lid goes up and down (when it is down you can't smell a thing)...I line it with odor killing pellets then put a plastic bag from the grocery in it as a liner. I pick up the poop with commercial poop bags and tie a tight not then drop in the small can.
We have trash pick up two days a week and then I pull out the liner and know it tight then drop in the trash can and take the garbage down to the street. It is not bad....it can be when the lid opens real quick during the summer. But the poopy does not go into my garbage cans until I am hauling it to the street.
Can't use a doggy dooley as the ground freezes around here in the cold months.

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

i've always used Mut Mitts which are pick up bags that are double ply in the part where your hand goes. I've used the thinner single ply ones and have found that given the choice i would take the double ply.

I have twisted the neck of them after the poop is in them and then tied them with a wire twister thing from the market.

Then, at first, i used to put them in a big trash bin in my backyard, lined with a 30 gallon bag, and a sealing lid. Twice a week, the trash would be picked up so twice a week i'd put the 30 gallon bag in the dumpster, tied with a twister.

But i soon found that whenever i opened the sealed lid of my backyard trashbin to put newly filled Mut Mitts into it a couple of times a day or so, the odor from the tied shut pick up bags inside was so bad, so strong, and just gagged me, and the smell would linger for quite a while, and i learned before i opened the bin to first make sure the door to my home was closed. So even though the little bags were knotted shut and tied with a twister, that odor sure did get out.

So, then i found that it was better if i did not put the sealing lid on the bin, and just tossed the little bags in there, leaving the lid off, and put them in the dumpster to be picked up twice a week. That is pretty much what i've been doing. I do still smell them now and then, vaguely, but nothing like when i used to keep the lid on the bin.

Also when out on walks, i pick poop up with Mutt Mitts and put it in city bins.

I am not that happy with keeping these little filled bags in my backyard, and have been putting them in the main dumpster more often than twice a week. I haven't smelled odors coming from the dumpster, miraculously it seems.

Once, Claire on this board, Woody's mom, told me her mum had found some kind of charcoal stuff to put into the trash bin that eliminated odors. I searched on the web but didn't really find the right thing at the time, and have since not dealt with it.

Back when it was kind of a crisis where the smell coming out of the bin that had been sealed was traumatic, i looked into those little septic tank or cess pool things they sell at the pet store, but something about it worried me, and i didn't get one. I guess just the idea of putting so much waste down a hole in my little backyard, and also, i rent, i don't own the place so i wasn't sure it it would be ok with management.

I would like to hear feedback from anyone who's used one of those, and would also like to hear from anyone who's used any kind of charcoal to take care of trashbin odors.

nlg679 said:
...I keep a small metal can with the press foot the lid goes up and down (when it is down you can't smell a thing)...I line it with odor killing pellets...

Can you give some more info on the odor killing pellets? thanks

Oh, another idea...I know someone that uses a diaper genie in their garage and empties it on trash days...dogs and babies deserve the same, right?

ODORZOUT granules.
The small separate can with the nice lid that seals works well. I always line the cans with those plastic grocery bags...the granules are poured right into the bottom of the can not the plastic bag.
Each poop package is self contained in it's own bag then dropped into the can.
Nancy ;)

Just curious Nancy ... I'm searching for a solution like yours myself right now. I've seen various versions of the small lidded trash cans at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Ikea etc - where did you get yours? I thought there might be a difference in quality / air tightness! and it's good to know in advance what actually works. :)

Katie is correct...I too have read that disposal should NOT be done in the toilet due to parasites...apparently the sewer treatment does not distroy parasites. I think I saw the info in either Dog Fancy Magazine or Bark...??? Sorry...I can't remember which one.

We keep ours in a covered can outside and it is taken out with the trash...and trash in this area is incinerated.

I picked it up at Linens and Things...its small, I guess it is the size you would keep in the bathroom. I keep it in the garage.
It has a lift out pail inside so during the summer I clean it out with baking soda and then let it set with Mr. Clean soak.

We live on acres and the dogs are usually considerate enough to poo far from the house & our outdoor recreational areas. Mother Nature takes care of it pretty fast.

If I lived in an urban area I think I'd probably look around for one of those doggy septic tanks, but failing that I'd double bag it (like I do prawn shells) and put it in the rubbish bin.

I do what Nancy does, only I don't use pellets. I keep the can outside on my deck during cold weather, and then I move it to a safe corner away from the deck during the warmer months. We have garbage pickup once a week, so we add it to the big trash bag when we put it out on the curb.

I've been searching for an outside small garbage can that is air tight, but I've had a shockingly hard time finding one!

Back