• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How Does Your Cavalier React to Thunder, other loud sounds

Our Charley used to hate thunderstorms...needed Rescue Remedy.

That was our fault, when he was a pup we rented a cottage at Thunder Bay Beach and guess what??

Loads of thunder ricochetting (?) off the bay!!!

The whole cottage shook and even my kids were frightened. :?

Never went back but we had scared the daylights out of Charley!! :shock:

monty and milo just bark their heads off when they hear thunder or fireworks or something like that...im happy about that because my last dogs was FREAKED to like the point of madness whenver fireworks or something like that went off.....

Murphy definately THINKS he's tough, he barks a the slightest noise, or if he spots someone going past the window. Things on TV tend to set him off too, lions, dogs horses. But we know he's all talk, if the hoover comes near him he's off like a shot :lol:
When we were out walking yesterday he started barking at these two labs, but when they ran towards him, not aggresively, his tail was between his legs and there was not another peep out of him :roll:

Poor Pippin is terrified of thunderstorms after...

In June 2005 (he was 2 mo. shy of 2 years old) we had a micro-burst storm come through the area. The storm came from the west and the dog room is on the west side of the house. The wind was so storm it pushed open the dog door flap and water was shooting into the room and the thunder and lightning was right over the house.

Merry and Pippin were in the dog room. I think Pippin was frantically scratching on the door to the house and somehow pushed it open.

I had just drove home and I was sitting in the driveway waiting for the worst of the rain to subside, but finally decided to make a run for the house. The rain was extremely heavy and a lot of wind. When I got into the house I saw that Pippin and Merry were in the house proper. Pippin was so frightened. I started cleaning up from the water that had gotten into the house. Both in the dog room and other areas where there was an open window.

When I got that done I looked out the front window and couldn't believe it. That storm had broken over 2 baby trees and picked up my dad's trailer (that he pulls behind his ATV) and moved it across the driveway and filpped it upside down in the middle of the lawn.

Next I noticed we must've had a direct lightning strike. The phones were out, the Dish TV was out and the internet. All dead. I had no idea the storm was that strong.

Merry carries no memory of this event. To this day, Pippin WILL NOT go outside if there is thunder and lightning. But who can blame him after that storm.

Fireworks don't bother my crew after the first few pops. I tell them its ok and give them several treats. Storms don't bother them either.

Chocolate is afraid when the wood makes loud popping noises when we have a fire in the fireplace. She used to go hide out in a crate I have set up in the kitchen, but now she cuddles very close to me whenever we make a fire.

Geordie is our alarm system - he monitors the front windows for passersby and barks at them. :roll:

Darby is completely oblivious as well! She was 12 weeks old when she experienced her first 4th of July fireworks. Fireworks are allowed in my neighborhood, and we always have a big block party where everybody "combines their resources," so-to-speak! It's great! Anyways, I brought Darby out to sit on the grass with me for a few minutes, figuring that was all she could handle - I didn't want to force her to be exposed to something scary for over an hour! Imagine my surprise when the first fireworks started to pop and bang - she wanted to go and chase them! It didn't phase her at all! She actually fell asleep about 15 minutes into them! And the kids were even shooting off M-80s & such!! These guys can be SUCH troopers!

Although Ruby is still a baby and almost all noises are new to her, she's really funny about what scares her. She jumps if something falls, but the loud closing of our patio gate when we go outside doesn't phase her. (It sometimes makes me jump, though!) I'm a bit of a clean floor freak, and she loves to chase the dust buster when I'm cleaning. She freaks out more about things like water bottles. Put one of those on the floor with her, and she barks like crazy! We had a pretty nasty storm last weekend, and while it didn't thunder all that loudly, she paid no attention to it. She was more concerned with staying dry when she went out to potty!

Crittercall - no problem with the mis-spelling of Sofee's name! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! It is different, my husband thought of it, very cute I think!
;)

Hi Pauline,
I PM'd you with the details, they are called Little Lily boots. Aren't they cute! :p

Back