• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting in a car

Harvey's Mum

Hi all :drivecar:

I am looking for some advice on how to get my 6 month old Harvey into a car and also ease his shaking when he is in it. He pulls away whenever we are near a one, and when we take him out he just sits and shakes even when on my lap. A friend said he could associate the car with going to the vets, but i always walk him to the vets never in the car. We normally take him out in the car to go for long walks in the countryside so he doesnot have to wear his lead. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
:thnku:

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

He may feel car sick in it so he associates the car with a bad thing. What about everyday putting a very favourite treat in it, letting him jump in to get it and then just letting him get back out. Sort of like the early puppy strategy to getting used to a crate and leaving the door open. I think mostly its a time thing but a bit of encouragement wouldnt hurt. I dont know if your using a crate when driving, but if it is car sickness, try putting a blanket over 3 sides to reduce seeing out so much.

I feel your pain!! Although my cavalier loves to get in the car. She jumps right in, even if she didn't I would pick her up and put her in. She might be feeling a little car sick, that's possible. Try to limit food and water before you put her in the car.

Try getting a 150 Newfoundland in the car that doesn't want to go, now that's a real problem....LOL . People said the same things to me, you probably only take her to the vets. Like you, that wasn't true I would take her to the park, to my Moms house and different 'pleasant' places, she just doesn't like the car at all. Someone has to help me get her into the car when I have to take her. It's very interesting. :shock:

Padden did the same thing your describing every time I took her somewhere in the car. It took one month of riding in it every day for her to stop the shaking. Now when I open the car door she jumps right in. I think Harvey will get used to it. He just needs to ride in it more often.

You could try taking him on short trips, even around a few blocks to get him used to it.

We used to put our Charley into his crate and drive for about 10 minutes, our neighbour thought it was quite funny.

By the time we were ready for a road trip, Charley was in love with car rides! :)

Most nervous dogs are far more comfortable inside a crate rather than out on the seat. They get carsick more easily seeing out. You can desensitise from square one by simply getting in the car with dog in crate in back, you sit in drivers seat, wait five minutes, then get out. Don't even start the car. You can graduate to do short trips around the block for example then back home, and gradully extend those out. You can try treating while driving if you have someone sitting in the back next to the crate -- but this can make a nervous dog ill. I'd use a crate and work up over length of distance. Also putting a towel over the crate so it is darker and the dog can;t see out really helps too -- this is how I transport most rescues and they calm down fairly fast f they cannot see out at all.

Great tips everyone. :thnx:

I think i better go out and buy a crate. He has not been in one since he was a pup at the breeders, so i may have to get him use to it before i put it in the car. This is all new to me i haven't had a dog in 8 years and my old one (not a cavalier) just jumped in the car from day one no problem.

Hopefully he will learn very quickly what it is for, he is very obedient and clever he picks things up very quickly, he will sit and stay to command and will not move until you give him a release word, even with food in front of him, he also can close a door if you ask him, we have so much fun training, hopefully :xfngr: he will soon get in the car on his own. Thanks again for all your tips, much appreciated. :flwr:

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

car travel probs

I had a dreadful time travelling with Duke, he would almost scream :yikes also he would drool an awful lot and shake it all over us :yuk: he would get so worked up that eventually he would be sick. This happened even when we hadnt fed him in the hope he wouldnt be sick. Iwas told to try a DAP spray. at first i was very sceptical and believed it was all a con but we gave it a go. It actually did help :shock
duke was much calmer in the car although the drooling and sickness is still present, overall duke still dislikes cars but a journey is less stressful with the DAP. IT IS EXSPENSIVE AND i DO USE MORE THAN BOTTLE STATES, I found the reccomended amount to spray didnt have much effect

Back