• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Occasional Yelping and Limp??

Recently we have noticed when Baily is playing or walking , he somtimes yelps and starts limping, holding one of his rear legs up.

He then goes to lie down or cuddle up to one of us and is really quiet for a while. When he gets back up hes back to normal as if nothing has happened?

This has happened about 5 times and is now starting to worry us!!!

Aybody got any ideas or advice.

Any help is much appreciated. (y)

How old is Baily? Has he been in any areas where he could have something in his foot? Are his dewclaws okay? Have you been trimming them?
Pam

He should be seen by a vet; it sounds like luxating patella (knee caps are moving out of place) to me. One of my cavs had the same signs.

Luxating patella can be caused by injury or it can be hereditary. I would take him to the vet as soon as possible.

Baily is just over 2 years old now

Checked his feet and there doesnt seem to be anything stuck in the paws..

The problem is on his back leg, so the dew claw is not a problem..

He last had his claws clipped about 4mths ago.

Thank for the help..

This is almost certainly a patella problem and if so, should be seen by a vet as it will progressively worsen.

If patellas are fine and the vet can find no other cause for the problem, than one thing to consider is syringomyelia though this is *far less likely*. However every cavalier owner should be familiar with this condition and there are documents on symptoms, an introduction to the condition by Dr Clare Rusbridge, and her treatment diagram at the website below which can be downloaded and given to your vets. Few vets are aware of the high incidence of this otherwise rare condition in CKCS so it is good for them to have this information on file, if they have cavaliers as clients. More info: www.sm.cavaliertalk.com

I agree with most people. Sounds like luxating patellas. That's exactly how Cooper started with his patella problems. Get him to a vet to get checked out.

These were the symptoms Annie displayed before she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. So that's another thing to look for if it's not a patella issue.

I concur with everybody else - definitely sounds very stereotypical of a luxating patella.... a painful situation, but one usually easily corrected with a simple groove-deepening (or tendon-tightening) surgery.

Definitely take him into the vet as soon as you can, because (as always) it is impossible to give or accept a diagnosis or prognosis from a discussion board. ;) He is cuddling up to you after each "episode" because he is scared & in pain - a heartbreaking thing to watch time & time again. Many wonderful people on this board have had experience with patella surgeries to correct this, and they can share their success stories with you. Good luck, and please keep us updated! :flwr:

Not the news we were expected to hear and are currently devastated, however are very greatful for all your assistance.

It hasnt happened since but are watching very closley.

If it happens again he will straight to the vets.

Any more info/guidance on this problem is greatly apprecited.

Many Thanks.

Please don't be devastated by the thought of patella problems. I know how you feel, Cooper was diagnosed about 4 months ago now. I was upset just like you and also found the prospect of the surgery and post op recovery / rehab period very daunting. The good news is that it is not a life threatening condition. It just impacts on their mobility and if untreated can lead to early arthritis. But if treated early generally has excellent long term results. In lower grade patella problems some vets don't even opt for surgery initially although in worse ones they do and often the lower grade ones can progress to higher grade ones. The hardest part really of the whole surgical process is the long period of confinement post op to rest the knee. They need to be confined in a pen or crate for 1-2 months with gradual increase in activity as instructed by your vet. It's hard at first but soon you and your dog will get used to it. Cooper has had his right knee done and is pretty much recovered form that and having his left one done next week.

The good news is that there are heaps of people on these forums who are many years down the track from patella ops and their dogs are tearing around, jumping, running ie essentially back to normal. It's a tough road in the short term but well worth it down the track.

I would get his patellas checked anyway as it generally starts as an intermittent problem and then becomes more frequent. Cooper virtually has a permanant limp on his left leg so can't wait for that to get fixed.

If you look back there are lots of threads about peoples experience with patella ops.

Back