• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wanting a second Cavi

murphy's mum

My O/H and I would love another cavalier, we currently have Murphy who will be 1 on Wednesday, and 2 cats. Obviously this is not a spur of the moment decision, we both love our pets very much. But when we mentioned it to our respective parents in passing they decided we are crazy(thats being polite about it!) :?

They seem to think getting another cavi would be irresponsible. I would appreciate anyones views on this. Here's our situation:
We live in a good sized two bedroom house, Murphy currently spends his time in the utility room while we are out, its about 2m x 2.5m, closed off with a baby gate. As he is a year we are about to start trialing him in the kitchen/dining room. At night he sleeps with us on the bed.
Unfortunatley we both work, I leave at 8.30, I come home for lunch and whenever i've no work(I'm an engineer), and my O/H is home for 4. His dad also pops in during the day to see Murphy.
At the weekends he's always with us, we go for really long walks that usually end up with one mucky pup.
It took longer to toilet train Murphy, obviously as we were not there 24/7, but now he's great. He used to chew the wood round the back door, it's a total mess but it never bothered us as we understood it was our fault. We couldn't correct it if we didn't see it happen.

If Stuart's dad no longer wants to come round, we would look into getting a pet sitter to let them out. We'll take holidays again to settle the little boy/girl in, and of course we realise it will be twice the cost and trouble.
But isn't it worth it? I would be lost without my Murphy puppy, even if he's chewed my bed a little, peed on the mattress once or twice. It's part and parcel of owning a dog isn't it. These things are normally our fault anyway for not keeping a closer eye on them.

Are we being selfish wanting a second dog? Please be honest, you guys are great with that :)

Sorry for the long post -x-

I have been a 2 pet household since 1989. I think if you are at work, the dog needs a doggy friend to stay home with. I think they are company for each other. Now I know I have gone overboard in 2006 and now I am a 4 dog household. :lol:

If you do go ahead and get another cavalier, I think after the initial shock both Murphy and your family will come around. Mine did. My parents thought I was absolutely bonkers to get #3 and #4. My parents are retired and live with me. When they are not traveling, they have adjusted to 4 dogs. They talk to them, pet them and even let them out. So once your OH's Dad see the puppy, I think he'll melt. Who can turn their back on a cavalier?

Best thing I every did was get another cavalier. Teddy will be 4 in May and Katydid will be 1 in June...she entered the home back in August.
Teddy and Katydid have different personalities but I just cannot describe the love and joy they both give me! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:
Sure...puppyhood is not easy but is JOYFUL!
You both sound like responsible owners.....you will love having a second dog...just watching the interaction between the two is great fun!

I have got 3 dogs and would have another at the drop of a hat I always just had 1 dog but when my Helen could not keep Jazzie he came to live with us I had 2 dogs 1 was Rocky and Jazzie when Rocky died last year I missed having 2 so I find Barney and now I have got my little Sam who came over from Ireland has a rescue from Karlin so I would go for it as I will when something happens to any of mine hope it not for a long time yet. Go for it ----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Question: why do most people automatically think "puppy" ? There are so many rescue adults, or older puppies for sale that are much better suited for people who work full time.

I always used to be a one dog person, but I now prefer having 2-3 dogs. It makes all of our lives (dogs and people) more fun and interesting. :)

We started with puppies, but then we got Chocolate when she was almost 4 years old - definitely easier than a puppy!!

I'll agree with Nancy & Cathy on that. I got Luke this past May at 3.5 years old and boy was it easy because he was already housebroken and already out of his bad puppy phase (of course). Definitely when working full time this was a plus.

But there are also challenges when introducing an adult dog into a household. A puppy knows his place in the doggy heirarchy and can slowly grow into his position with the other dog. With Luke, I have had a number of challenges because I didn't raise him, someone else did. He is scared when other than family come into the house. He doesn't seem to have been properly socialized and he seems to want to be top dog, over Pippin. So you still have some training issues to go through to get an adult dog fitting into the rest of the family.

I got my first Cavalier when she was 2 and had no issues, I had 2 older dogs but I was always the leader...which was lucky considering we knew nothing about her past but I believe she was an only dog. I got both my next puppies at 8 and 9 months old with perfect transitions. Teddy was 10 months old when he went to a new home and after a week of learning the new routine, he seems to be doing nicely, but no problems in hierarchy at all. So knowing the dogs past is definately helpful but not mandatory in the case of a rescue. I think many are so grateful they make it easy on you ;)

We were just like you and your hubby and people kept putting us off of two dogs. I must say it was the best decision we ever made. When I go to work I shut them both in the kitchen and they can keep we each other company. When I get home they still follow each other round. It took a few weeks for harvey to accept Alfie but now they play for hours and there is nothing better on long walks to watch them run of ahead together.
Harvey was about 10 months when we got Alfie. Go fo it you wont regret it.

Nancy said:
Question: why do most people automatically think "puppy" ? There are so many rescue adults, or older puppies for sale that are much better suited for people who work full time.

We definately considered an older dog as well, but after making a few enquires we found local rescues unhappy to home to people who work :(
Stemming from the majority of dogs they receive are from families who work.

Once we've made a definate decsion I think we would look at all the options available, although it may mean looking further afield :D

We have been a 2 dog household since the early 70's. When we went to 4, my grown kids thought we had gone round the bend. Until they came to meet the new additions and fell in love. But we are home all day so it's easier now.

Yvonne117 said:
We were just like you and your hubby and people kept putting us off of two dogs. I must say it was the best decision we ever made. When I go to work I shut them both in the kitchen and they can keep we each other company. When I get home they still follow each other round. It took a few weeks for harvey to accept Alfie but now they play for hours and there is nothing better on long walks to watch them run of ahead together.
Harvey was about 10 months when we got Alfie. Go fo it you wont regret it.

I quite agree with Yvonne, it is twice the work but its also twice the joy especially when they can play safely together and are best of friends. Getting another one really brought Merlin out of his shell now he has someone his own size to play with. :D

i agree with the others----i don't see anything 'bonkers' about getting a second dog. another dog would be great company for murphy after the initial adjustment.

we plan to get a sister or brother for indy around christmas as our work schedules will be changing and i will have a couple of weeks off work to be around for the adjustment period.

we had 2 or 3 dogs most of the time i was growing up and they enjoy each others company. cavaliers are such social little dogs that i can't imagine murphy not loving having a 'sibling.'

i say go for it! you won't regret it!

:D k

i would love to have another. i would do it in a heartbeat if i had a larger place and a real backyard (i only have common ground since i live in a townhouse and i have to use a leash everytime i take him.) i would want to be able to have a fenced in yard so they could run around and play with each other. also the boyfriend doesn't want another one (he didn't really want the first one :()

murphy's mum said:
Nancy said:

We definately considered an older dog as well, but after making a few enquires we found local rescues unhappy to home to people who work :(
Stemming from the majority of dogs they receive are from families who work.

Once we've made a definate decsion I think we would look at all the options available, although it may mean looking further afield :D

I am a breeder and also in rescue. I wouldn't hesitate to place an older puppy or adult with working people as long as they were responsible, especially with another dog in the house. I am much more concerned when placing young puppies regarding that issue, so please explore every avenue.

I can vouch for older puppies!! :) I have Nancy's Teddy right now, and after about a week of adjustments, he really has become a great part of our family! It has been great for Ellie, because she has a playmate, and she's also learning some great behaviors from him. You don't need to get a rescue dog to get an older puppy/dog, just talk to some breeders! I got SO LUCKY to catch Nancy when I did, but I'm sure there are similar situations to ours out there. I think it is sooo nice for them to have a dog companion, and they still LOVE attention from you. Best of both worlds, I think!!! (And I had many people thinking I was crazy to get another baby so soon, but I knew what was right for us. :))

We had 9 year old Golden Retriever and then got Friday as a puppy. I worked 2 days a week at the time so potty training wasn't too hard. They became great friends and when our Golden died a few months ago due to cancer Friday seemed lost.

After long, long discussions we decided to get another cavalier, a rescue who is 2.5 years old and already housebroken. I work 4 days a week, leave at 8:00, come home for an hour at lunch everyday, and the kids are home at 3:00. Many days I have a 2 hour lunch so I spend extra time with Friday. We couldn't get a puppy because Friday has SM and we felt it would cause Friday too much excitement. Friday loves other dogs and feel she needs a doggy friend.

The rescue home has had this dog for a little while and knows how she is around other dogs and her personality. We also know her health issues. We go pick her up next weekend!! We are so excited and yes, everybody thinks we are nuts for getting another dog and one that needs patella surgery! We just feel this is the right time and right dog. Like what others have said.....you have to do what feels right for you.

Murphy's mum - I keep looking at Murphys picture and thinking he really looks like my Harvey.
402045134_6f407c8693.jpg

We got Molly when she was 12 weeks old and 6 weeks after we got her, we got Max to keep her company. It is a total JOY to have two...I can't imagine life without the two of them. They are just 6 days apart in age...they play wonderfully together...and never want to be separate from each other.

I can only see one downsize to it...the cost is double. They were spayed & neutered this month, then Max had to go back this past week for a check because he was having diarrhea that went on for days. I've spent close to $900 just this month at the vets. Then the toys and chews, and the 4 puppia harnesses we bought this month....it's been an expensive month. BUT we know that this isn't typical.

Guess what? They are worth every penny we've spent and more.

I realise it's different if you're working full time, but even a second puppy will be easier second time around. You know what you're doing, and you'll be surprised at how much the pup will absorb from the older dog. Holly was responsible for Amber's bite inhibition training, and also in teaching her to mind her own business and when necessary entertain herself. Even the housetraining is easier since there's a well trained example to follow.

..but if you do decide to go with a pup I'd go for one that is at least 10 weeks and prob 12 or even 14 weeks old. Why put yourself through the pain of an 8 week old pup when you're also working, even though you have a great system set up?

As for telling people, I thought it over carefully and then presented everyone concerned with a fait accompli. It's worked well. Having 2 cavs is great fun.

Back