• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wanting a second Cavi

fyi, in the US , 8 week old puppy placements are unheard of, except from backyard breeders or mills. Usually at least 12 weeks old is the norm.

I have never lived in a house with 2 dogs, but its something I might consider at this stage in my life. First, I grew up with labs and they take up a lot of space! I couldnt possibly see 2 labs in this house, but 2 cavaliers would fit nicely.

On the flip side the only thing that would stop me, would be when I look back on my kids growing up. For me (being a perfectionist) I think it would have been too hard to look after 2 dogs, 2 cats and still have time for 2 young children. That is not to say lots of people do it and do it well - I just know for me, it would not have been a good mix all at once!

Nancy said:
fyi, in the US , 8 week old puppy placements are unheard of, except from backyard breeders or mills. Usually at least 12 weeks old is the norm.

I always find that interesting how the age differs with countries. In Canada I'd say almost all puppies regardless of breed its 8wks. I dont mean to debate which is right or wrong here but rather point out, I find it odd, that entire countries go one way or the other on the norm.

We are from a working family and decided to get a playmate for our Lottie when she was just over a year old. I was very concerned how Lottie would be as she was such a doted on only child :D so when I spoke to her breeder she said they would take back the pup if it didn't work out. We got Lottie's 16 week old half sister and I say now that I would never just have one dog again. It is beautiful to see them together. We are fortunate that our son is able to come home at lunch time and let them out for a potty break and they have the run of our kitchen, family room and laundry area which has linoleum floors so the odd (very occasional- hardly ever) accident isn't a problem.Go for it and enjoy them both :D
Julie and the girls

Yvonne117 said:
Murphy's mum - I keep looking at Murphys picture and thinking he really looks like my Harvey.
402045134_6f407c8693.jpg

They do look a like dont they

DSC00001.jpg

Both of them are gorgeous, but I'm very biased! :D

I would say that if you have the time, the finances and the dedication then go for it!
We spent a year deciding to get harvey another friend, we then took on a dog who he absolutely loved but we had him for a very short time unfortunatly (he was not a cav)

we tried many rescues but always come up with too many things going against us, kids, working (part time!) even the fact we had our old dog pts went against us with one.

So this year we decided a pup was the route to go down so we contacted the lady who bred Harvey and now we have almost a whole year to prepare and save etc.

I say go for it, I have always grown up with 2+ dogs so having 1 feels very strange.

I got Izzy as a companion for Monty and then wondered what on earth I'd done,as the little monkey swung on his ears and generally pestered the gentle giant. However , they soon became inseperable and one would pace the floor if the other was away for any reason. Now i have four.

Friday's Mommy said:
We had 9 year old Golden Retriever and then got Friday as a puppy. I worked 2 days a week at the time so potty training wasn't too hard. They became great friends and when our Golden died a few months ago due to cancer Friday seemed lost.

After long, long discussions we decided to get another cavalier, a rescue who is 2.5 years old and already housebroken.

I think you've really thought this through and many people (I would) opt to do exactly what your doing. Your dog is used to having another dog and I can see how they would have a hard time adjusting to being alone after that. Besides I think in some ways having another dog will save you time, as your old one will be happier and more relaxed.

How exciting for you!

Back