• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

vicious barking episode....help!

aleethomas

We took Padden to the park yesterday (we go every weekend) and she did the strangest thing. I was sitting on a bench and she wanted up so I let her sit up with me. A distance away another dog was walking by and she started to growl. Then another dog walked by and she starterd viciously barking at him. Scary barking! Like she was going to attack the other dog and tear them up. She's NEVER done this before. She's never barked at another dog or person, she's usually very submissive and if anything gets a little shy and hides her tail, ignores the dogs, or wants to go sniff them. She did it 2 other times while on the bench, and the other dogs were paying her no attention at all. (it was really embarassing having this little puppy doing this) I then put her on the ground and tied her to the bench thinking that maybe she needed to be at eye level. BY this time Justin was back with our lunch and she kept on doing it. I then started walking with her and she was fine after that.

What on earth was going on with her? I don't get it at all. Could she have learned this behaviour from another dog? (there is a jack russell terrier in our training class that does the same type of barking the ENTIRE class but Padden could care less about him. The other dog has to sit in the corner and gets squirted with water the entire class). We are switching our training class now. Besides it being very annoying I don't want her to start acting like him if that's at all possible.

Any info you might have on why she was acting like this please please let me know! It was really scary seeing her like this and I don't want it to happen again. (she's only 4 months old too.)

THANKS!!!!
Amanda

What I have noticed at dog parks, is that when a dog is on a leash and doesn't feel free enough to escape the other dogs if they felt the urge, then they can get aggressive due to fear. I always get nervous when I see a new person come into the park with the dog on the leash, because it usually sends the dog into a frenzy and the other dogs sense it. As soon as you let them off the leash, they are fine because they don't feel trapped.

As for Padden's situation, maybe she was trying to protect you and "her space" (the bench). I know you said that she has never done this before, but does she show any defensive behavior towards her toys or food?

I have never experienced this with my cavaliers, but some little dogs have a big dog attitude when they are in the arms of their owners and they know they are safe. I can't even tell you how many "vicious" pomeranians I have seen they they are being held, but you put them down and they go right back to the 3 pound ball of hair that they were meant to be. ;)

She is also still very young and you are obviously taking all the right steps with obedience and socialization. She could jsut be trying on her "big dog voice". Good Luck!

She doesn't show any defensive behavior towards toys, food or anything else. That's why I found this whole situation so odd. We live in a condo so she is around other dogs constantly and is very well socialized now. She can tell when a dog is mean and will start whimpering and want me to pick her up.

We weren't at a dog park, so all the other dogs were on leases as well. Maybe it was because i had her lease tied to the bench when she was on the ground and I wasn't holding it. But she did the same thing when she was sitting on my lap on the bench.

Is there anything I can do if this happens again? I think I started to laugh when she did it because it was funny coming out of her but I quickly stoped when she kept on doing it!

We all have bad days and days of insecurity. At her age, I chalk it up to finding that protective instinct in herself towards you. Age, time and training will put it all back into perspective I think. Its an isolated incident and her temperment doesnt sound like any out of hand problems are starting. Look at it this way, a boyfriend, husband and children go through similar periods at some point in a relationship sometimes. I remember a few post here about how to handle it etc.. have a look about.

moniechris said:
I have never experienced this with my cavaliers, but some little dogs have a big dog attitude when they are in the arms of their owners and they know they are safe. I can't even tell you how many "vicious" pomeranians I have seen they they are being held, but you put them down and they go right back to the 3 pound ball of hair that they were meant to be. ;)

This is very true. There's a woman up the street from me who must have at least 5 Yorkies ranging in size from Westie to a tiny teacup Yorkie. Holly hates them because they bark at her, and the worst offender is the little teacupper- who seems to bark at anything that moves. When you bend down to say hello to him, though, he is the sweetest most affectionate little thing.

Is the puppy territorial in the house at all? I don't mean with food, toys etc- rather with someone at the door, something out of place, something they see in the window? Both of mine are territorial that way, especially Holly, and it was a behaviour that started around 4-5 months.

Lisa- she doesn't seem to be territorial in the house at all. We live on the 14th floor so there's nothing to bark at up that high. She does like to go on the balcony and look out though... she seems to catch lots of good smells out there! She know's when someone's at the door and just perks up and watches with her tail wagging like crazy! I move her crates around often (I get sick of seeing them all the time in our tiny space & always think there is a better place for them) so she's never territorial over "her" area. She likes to play in her crates but doesn't mind if we play in them. She likes to be chased and then will run into her tiny crate and wait for us to come get her and rub her belly.

With yours, are you able to do anything to make her less territorial or is just the way they are? Just trying to figure out what to do if this happens agains!

I'm no pro, but was once told if you pet or tell your dog "its ok" you are in essense praising them for barking at another dog. With that in mind, what about just putting him/her down, and quickly walk in the other direction for distraction. Then ask her/him to sit and give a treat. Or something along those lines.

If you are still in your training class, this would be a good question to discuss with your trainer. Dogs can change their behaviour as they get older and gain confidence, and also because in some situations -- eg up on a bench, on a lap, or on a lead -- they feel defensive of you or themselves.

For example, Lily can be snappy towards other dogs when on the lead; yet she mixes fine when boarding with other dogs and is off lead (though she does tend to go up and bark in their faces the first time, just to offer her unwanted opinions... :roll: ).

And all three of mine can start barking away at certain dogs they see as taking a more aggressive stance to them on walks -- yet they have dog friends all over the neighbourhood that they never bark at! The boys only ever act like this when all three are on the lead. Never if they are off lead at the park.

aleethomas said:
With yours, are you able to do anything to make her less territorial or is just the way they are? Just trying to figure out what to do if this happens agains!

To be honest, I've encouraged it more than anything. As a deaf person living alone, it's easy for me to miss people at the door or the phone ringing- the dogs alert me. In fact, it happened a short time ago- the phone started ringing and I would not have realised if not for the reaction of the dogs.

Back