• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting our 2nd Cavalier tonight!

Oh isn't she a sweetie?! Look at those beautiful eyes. As far as the coat...Jake and Shelby have totally different coats. Shelby's hair in general is shorter, not nearly as feathery as Jake's. I think she's going to work out great!!

wow she adorable!!! and her coat is beautiful!!!! hopefully all goes well! good luck with everything! will be waiting to hear more news

To Daisy,

You are absolutely beautiful and you do look a little like me. You have one more white spot on your back that I don't have and I have a little wider stripe on my forehead, but other than that we are just alike, BEAUTIFUL. As for your snout, its not too long. Remember, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed standard says the snout should be AT LEAST 1 1/2 inches from the base of the stop to the tip of the nose, so I think you are just about right. I hope you get along with Wesley but I think you are going to be very, very, happy with your new home and new family. Keep Ruby and I updated on how things are going and if there is advice we can offer to help.

Bark On!

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

As for your snout, its not too long. Remember, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed standard says the snout should be AT LEAST 1 1/2 inches from the base of the stop to the tip of the nose, so I think you are just about right.

Actually this isn't quite right. The base to tip should be ABOUT 1.5 inches -- that is how the standard is interpreted by judges. Longer than that is getting to be a fault. If you check show dog pics the muzzles are quite short.

UK breed standard (the original!):

HEAD & SKULL: Skull almost flat between ears. Stop shallow. Length from base of stop to tip of nose about 1 1/2 inches.

AKC standard:

Muzzle - Full muzzle slightly tapered. Length from base of stop to tip of nose about 1 1/2 inches.

The CKCSC standard is the only one that says a 'minimum' of 1.5 inches, but no judge would allow for much longer than that for correct breed conformation. Longer nosed dogs are referred to as being 'snipey' which is undesireable in a show dog but of course makes NO DIFFERENCE in a pet. :) However I think it is important for anyone who loves the breed to understand the breed standards, as breeders offering dogs well outside such standards are to be avoided. All three breed standards are in the Library section in 'Buying a Cavalier'. (y)

Aw, she looks beautiful and very sweet! I had the same thought as someone else above--how could any family give her up??? But lucky for you that they are! And lucky for her that she's getting your family!

I am sure that you will give her the necessary adjustment time (could be longer than a week, and she may need some time to adjust to a new place and how to ask to go out, etc., depending on what she's been used to) but in a few days you should be able to see that things are on track to work out well. (Having just gone through this recently myself!)

Oh -- and here is the big plus to another Cavalier as opposed to a third child: you don't have to start a college fund!

Back