• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

NuVet & diet

Heather Kay

Hi there,
I am already in fast and furious planning mode for my new puppy I'm bringing home in April :) My breeder is recommending that I give her a NuVet supplement (starting with 1/4 tab until about 4 months of age). Has anyone used it and know where I could find it?

She will also be feeding her Royal Canin baby dog. What is everyone's thoughts on this brand? I have heard mixed things. I would eventually like to get her on a natural diet (Wellness is one I am considering) and wonder how I should transition her on this.

Any thoughts?

Royal Canin baby dog. is a great food as for the nuvet supplament i have no idea about that one

Lily was on RC baby, and now at 6 mos. I switched her over to RC adult, because I thought she was growing a little too fast on puppy food. I have had no problems, and her poops are firm, and she goes only about 3 times a day. The breeder had her on Science Diet, which I didn't like. Her poop was soft and she pooped about 6 times a day. I switched her when we had her home for about 2 weeks. Science Diet has a lot of fillers in it. That's why I switched her to RC.

I just switched Padden (4 months) onto wellness puppy and she really seems to like it. It was one of the many that was recommended on this forum and one of the only ones that the pet store close to me carried. The first week her poops were rather soft but I gave her a little bit of pumpkin and they firmed up. Your suppose to mix the 2 foods gradually to transition them onto something new but Padden was not interested in her old food once I gave her Wellness. So she went cold turkey off her old food. Which I'm sure is why her poops were soft. But its been a week and everythings back to normal. Try to gradually add in the new food over a week if you can.

Going through the food debate myself... here are my experiences. First RC is rated good, so its not a 6 star, but it gets great reviews. Sure I chose a different brand, first one, made stools way to loose (5 star) and added another 5 star life all stages to correct loose stools.

I had to switch her unfortunately and things are better but not perfect. When looking into this I went to a recommended store to talk with the owner. Her advice was her digestive system is not fully developed yet, and switching (even though she has the dandruff) probably will just upset her system again. she suggested waiting till her digestive system was a little more advanced since she is not scratching to death and the stools are now ok.

If your breeder starts her on RC and she is doing well (good stools and likes it) I'd be inclined to stick with it for a mth or two because it has a good rating so why not. You can try other brands a little later to mix it up etc.. if they appeal to you more. Obviously if she is like Kodee and not doing well you will want to switch sooner - just go slowwww. I didnt it over a wk and was told I should have gone slower than that.

The breeder I got Fauna (b&t) from swore by NuVet and almost insisted we use it. I'm glad we did (do). I think it really makes a difference. Her dogs looked great and seemed to have fewer than normal health issues usually seen when you have multiple dogs. And I have to say, Fauna, and now Flora and Ella, have been very healthy and have nice and shiny coats. It can't hurt!

Congratulations on your new baby!

JaneB

NuVet

I guess you can order the NuVet supplement online or by using their toll free order number and code as follows-1-800-474-7044, order code #41657.

Back