• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Strange behavior last night....

nursejess80

Last night Ruby was acting really weird. Normally, she has no problem going back to sleep in her crate after being taken outside to potty. However, last night when my husband took her out, she refused to get back in the crate. He was able to get her in, but she started freaking out and yelping. She has done that once before when she didn't have a bowel movement when she was taken out and then decided she needed to have one, so Jason took her back out. I could hear her upstairs in the bed yelping to come back inside, and she didn't potty again. When he got her back upstairs in our room, she all but clawed him to death and whined to get on the bed with me. I calmed her down in my lap for a little while, but then she still freaked out every time I tried to get her in the kennel. A little resistance is normal, but she never acts like this. I was up with her almost 2 hours in the middle of the night trying to calm her down enough to go back to sleep. I tried laying on the floor outside of the kennel, letting her fall asleep in my lap and putting her in the crate....nothing seemed to work. Finally, exhaustion got the better of me, and I put her in the bed with us. She slept like a baby, of course. I was concerned that her stomach was in pain or something, but she's had a normal BM this morning, and she's acting pretty much like she normally does, with the exception of a few whines every now and then. Has anyone else had this happen?? Also, off subject, but any suggestions about constant biting??? We say "ouch" or "no bite" and try to distract her with a toy, but she sometimes gets a little vicious, especially with my husband, and pounces on us, growling and biting. I know puppies bite, but this seems a little excessive.

Poor Ruby.
Would something have been in the crate to upset her. Like a spider. Holly would have a field day tring to eat it though... maybe Ruby would have been the same.
Perhaps it's a stomach upset. I'd visit the vet if worried.
Y

Kodee was pretty bad with the biting (12 wks) starting about 2 wks ago. For her it always starts with a new person entering the kitchen area where she is. She'd go for the shoes and if you didnt distract her quick enough it would escalate to her going a little bonkers with the nipping and running around like a mad woman. Sara said try apple bitter on the shoes - wow worked like a charm. she sniffs them, walks away and comes back and sits pretty. then we pick her up tell her she is great and she settles right back down! With us it was the constant chasing her to not bite this or that and she would get worked up because we were following her and constantly butting into her fun. Well I sprayed all those little fun areas so I am not the nasty controller anymore and she has settled right down and now only has her toys to attack. It made the ahaha's easier to understand when it didnt have to be used at everything she touched, just us. Dont know if your situation is the same but maybe some of that will help.

As for the crate - Kodee did a lot of odd yelping here and there - it was freaking me out! We discovered our leather couch sometimes developed an electrical charge in her fur! Now I wipe the couch with dryer sheets when I notice this and havent had a yelp in 3 wks.

It sounds like something in her crate upset her. Maybe an insect bite or even a nightmare? Re the biting & seeming aggressive behaviour. This is normal in little puppies. It doesn't mean your pup is or will be aggressive. Puppies play very rough with each other & it is during this play that they learn that it hurts & not to do it. Just do the yelp when she bites & if she is being over the top, say "no" and put her down. She will soon learn that she doesn't get cuddles when she is being bitey.

Jake does this on occasion. We had a really bad spell with it for about 3 nights. He just absolutely refused to go into his crate. I checked for spiders and things sticking up poking him. I did find a dead mosquito stuck behind his crate and wondered if maybe it was buzzing and scared him. It took about 3 nights of working with him to get him to settle back in again.

I've never even seen a spider in our house, so I doubt it was that. She WAS kind of making little noises while she was sleeping...maybe it was just a bad dream. We'll see how it goes tonight. She did great in the crate today while I was home. Just a little whining at first, and then she settled right in. Pray that we get some sleep!!

Back