Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Boys

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Boys

Within 1-1/2 years I lost my Cavalier boys...Rudy was 9 when the Vet discovered he had collasping trachea...without opening old wounds, I will just say, it took 4 Vets to diagnose his condition. After 3 days in intensive care and a tracheotomy, I had to let him go.
    Thankfully, I still had King....until last week. He was 13 years, 3 months..he'd been on heart medication for the dreaded murmur that plaques our Cavaliers, for 4 years. He just stopped eating, blood tests showed extremely high liver levels, I opted to treat him at home with i.v. fluids, after 3 days he began eating. However, that was short lived and I had to let him go. I consented to having his liver biopsied in the hope it might help another's loving critter. It appears the heart medication took its toll on his precious body. There are no words to describe the overwhelming feeling of loss, they were my "love sponges" and unique in so many ways. I can't be without a "Cav" in my life, things are meant to be, last June, Charlie entered my life...he wasn't abused, but, perhaps neglected. He was with a family that had 4 other dogs, all living outside and a houseful of small children...it was not a life for a Cavalier! A dear friend found a small ad in the local paper saying "good home needed for a Cavalier."
    The best we can do is make oursleves aware of the health issues, have regular check-ups and always request blood work after the age of 7. My boys will live on in my heart. When I get King home, I can kiss him goodnight and good morning, just like I do with Rudy....

Post Thanks / Like

Bless you Reenie...you have been through a lot. But the good news is that you have your new Cavalier love sponge to keep you happy!

I'm so sorry for your losses and I hope being a member of this board will bring you much happiness! Please post pics of your Charlie when you can.
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

Reenie - so sorry for you loss. To lose two of them so closely together has to have really taken its toll on you. So wonderful that you were able to open your heart up to Charlie who sounds like you're just what he needed.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Reenie I am so sorry for your lost ----Aileen and the gang ( Jazzie---Barney----Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Reenie, so glad you found us and so sorry for your loss it's hard enough to lose one, but two in such a short space must be so devastating.

Glad you have Charlie in your life now.

Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Having to let go even for those of our canine companions who have lived long lives if hard. I am certain both of your boys will be waiting for you at the Bridge.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Renee I am so sorry that you lost both your boys and so close together.

Let's hope that Charlie helps to heal your heart a little

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I am so glad I found this board. I don't know how to post pictures, but I can tell you about my wonderful boys. King was a Blenheim, Rudy and Charlie was/is Tri. King was a big boy for a Cavalier, Rudy was "medium" size and Charlie is small, all incredibly beautiful with distict personalities and unique characteristics.
    I have a wall full of pictures, so they will always be home with me. I know they are together and we will be reunited.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are with you - it's so hard losing these gentle souls.

My Sasha had laryngeal prolapse at age 3 - she currently has one side of throat sutured back - she has been having lots of throat problems since December, so I'm getting worried again. I was lucky I had a vet who found her problem after thinking it was something else and did emergency surgery.

Sheri
    "Don't accept a dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful" Ann Landers