• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily's in heat too!!!!

Shay

After just posting about this in Pamela's thread about Coco, I just picked up Lily and when I put her down, I noticed my shirt. Looked at her and lo-and-behold, SHE'S IN HEAT TOO. She was very weird this morning, just laying around , not playing and didn't eat her breakfast. Now I know why. I sure wish the Vet would have spayed her before this, but if it corrects her inverted vulva like he says it should, then it's worth it. She won't be able to start puppy class tomorrow, and we were so looking forward to it. Oh well, I guess it was better than starting and then having to stop. I've already paid, so I will just let it ride until she's done.

Off to the store to get something. What is best, the diapers or the sanitary pads and belt? Not even sure they still make those any more.

Thanks Sandy!!!......How long will the actual bleeding last, and when in the cycle will it be safe again while she's outside?

Shay said:
Thanks Sandy!!!......How long will the actually bleeding last, and when in the cycle will it be safe again while she's outside?

Bleeding usually lasts from two to three weeks. I isolate the girls in season from the boys for at LEAST 24 days. Sandy

If you go to any Pet Supermarket or Petco, they carry little demin diaper looking things that are washable. You just insert 1/2 of a thin maxi pad (cheap human brand) in them and change it periodically throughout the day. Just make sure that you take it off to potty her or you will get a mess :sl*p: ...I would get two of the diapers just in case that happens so she can wear one while you was the other. My MIL takes it off her girl at night while she is in the crate so she can clean herself and be more comfortable. Good luck!

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=2451&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=diaper&sku=691569&familyID=6288&

Are you sure you can't take her to class with panties on? You can find a decent pair at most stores....after all, it's just the 2 of them, if the other is a female or really young, maybe it would be ok with the teacher?

You shouldn't take a female in heat anywhere and certainly not to class.

Shay would be mobbed by every male dog in the place and might have trouble getting into her car.

Males will travel great distances to "get at" a female in heat.

We used to have an intact German Sheppard across the street and so many males that the street would be blocked off to traffic!!!

Good luck Shay. :flwr: :flwr:

Definitely not!! My neighbor's dogs got locked up through the tail hole of the diapers she was wearing!! :shock: They are flexible and determined little buggers!!! :lol:

Ah Shay. Sorry you will have to wait on your classes. Your vet is going to have to wait to spay Lily for awhile after she finishes heat. They need to wait for the hormone levels to get back to normal. Katie initally went into heat 2 days before her scheduled spay and then we had to wait 3 months or so before she could be spayed.

those are cases unsupervised. You will be in an enclosed area with another young puppy. It wouldn't concern me all that much. You can actually show females in heat AKC to the best of my knowledge.

Actually the dogs were supervised, it just takes them but 3 seconds to get hooked. The male had slipped out of the room he was enclosed in, my neighor was chasing after him and it took one pump and that was it. I don't know how you could show a dog when in heat, I would think every male in the vacinity wouldn't be able to focus.

I wouldn't risk it with my female, but that's just me.

I'm not saying I would show them, but it's doable...by supervised, I mean both dogs contained, and on lead. I've been to puppy class at petsmart, and if she were carried in, with only 1 other little puppy, it's possible, that's all I'm saying. If she chooses not to, or if teacher says no, it's a different story.

Our neighbours German Sheppard wasn't "unsupervised".

She was always locked in the house except when out on a leash for a quick pee.

The males climbed fences and ripped doors open to get to her.

Also, if Lily were to "tie", it's a legal problem as well as medical for the dog.

I would not, under an circumstances, bring in in-season girl anywhere. Why take the risk; things can happen quicker than you think. Those pants are definately not chastity belts, even though they may look like it.

BTW, speaking from experience, don't forget to take the pants off when when you take her outside to do her business. Those crazy girls will not stop to tell you you forgot :yuk:

Oh, the joy of having a bitch in heat.... :lol:
Nóra is so effecient, she cleans herself so well that we don't have to use dipers or something else. But it's safer to not wear white socks during that period, the tend to get red spotted icon_whistling

I'm back from the store and got a pair of little denim ones with velcro straps that I think MonieC was talking about, and 2 boxes of pads. The pads have a strip of adhesive down the middle just like ours, but are shorter. She has it on now and is going nuts, poor baby. I guess it will take a while for her to get use to it. She is trying to get it off.

I am calling the trainer in a few minutes. I am just too afraid to take her while she's in heat, especially after the incident with my Old English. I will just let her sign me up for a class that starts in about 3 weeks. Thanks for all your suggestions and answer to my questions, Wish me luck!!!

Zippy said:
You shouldn't take a female in heat anywhere and certainly not to class.

Shay would be mobbed by every male dog in the place and might have trouble getting into her car.

Males will travel great distances to "get at" a female in heat.

We used to have an intact German Sheppard across the street and so many males that the street would be blocked off to traffic!!!

Good luck Shay. :flwr: :flwr:

Ironically-- You CAN show a bitch in season at an AKC show-- I've done it. My female surrounded by hundreds (literally) of Intact males--- and do you know-- not one male misbehaved.

*Jenný* said:
Oh, the joy of having a bitch in heat.... :lol:
Nóra is so effecient, she cleans herself so well that we don't have to use dipers or something else. But it's safer to not wear white socks during that period, the tend to get red spotted icon_whistling

One of my girls keeps herself so clean that I just throw a blanket over the couch and loveseat and we don't bother with the pants. I worry that keeping the pants on too much may cause an infection.

Back