• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

3 meals a day

nangel519

I have a quick question about feeding a puppy 3 meals a day. My Sadie is about 10 weeks old (on Friday she will be 10 weeks) we have consistently fed her 3 meals a day, 1/3 of a cup each time. She has never really eaten her lunch. She'll pick at it occasionally, but the last week she just looks at it, looks at us, and walks away from it. Should we stop feeding her lunch? She eats all of her breakfast and all of her dinner daily, with a treat left for her during the day in her x-pen. I just don't want to keep wasting her food, or should I add something to make it more appealing to her?

I would love to hear if anyone else ever had this situation.

Thanks!

when dogs don't pay any intrest in a meal it normally means that they are ready to go down to two meals. But i would have thought that 10 weeks is too early for that. Hopefully others will have more advice for you on this. Could you but the lunch amount inside a kong or treat ball that way she will be occupied during day.

I can tell you what I did with Jolly. Between 13 weeks old when he came to live with me and when he was 5 months old he ate 3 meals a day. When he was 4 months old he seemed to eat less, so if he wasn't hungry at lunchtime, I would just pick up his bowl and try again at dinner time.

At 5 months I moved him down to 2 meals a day. My adult dogs are on the same routine.

This worked for Jolly.

He might be a bit young to go down yet. Kodee wasnt interested in one meal, sometimes 2 on and off early on. Now at 12 wks she is wolfing down all 3 and then some... Just like kids, they will have growth spurts where they dont need much one wk but needs go up the next. I would keep offering for 15 min and take up. I think the age is 16 wks you can go to 2 meals if you want. BUT verify that age I gave - as I am trying to remember what it was.

I would say 10 weeks would be a little early to bump it to two meals. I would just try assisting him by maybe hand feeding him, or locking him in his crate with it. Sometimes they just need a little push in the right direction.

Amber was on two meals from nearly 11 weeks or so with the breeder's blessing. Mind, I suppose little treats and bonios etc would have made up a third. She got 50g twice a day. Now I have her on 80g and she's doing well on it.

Back