• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Am I feeding her enough

Hollyett

Belle is 11 weeks old today, i feed her junior Royal canin ,She has 60grms spread over 3 meals daily, she eats each meal i give her in seconds and then licks the bowl. I feel that maybe im not giving her enough, she seems so hungry and crys untill i give her the first morning feed. Do you think im under feeding her?, she is due at the vets next week for her second injections and i will ask the vet her advice, but in the meantime what do others thonk. thanks.

Am I reading this correctly? 60 grams equals to 1/4 a cup right? Are you giving her 60 grams three times a day or that is the grand total?

That is a very small amount of food if it 60 grams divided into three meals. It would be appropriate if you were feeding 60grams three times a day! Is she under weight?

Zoey was 12 weeks old when we got her (she is now 4 months) and I feed her 1/2 cup (115 grams) in the morning, and 1/2 cup at night. She eats every bit of it and I will cut it back as she gets older to probably 3/4 a cup so she doesn't gain weight. Puppies need the extra nutrients to grow. ;)

Ive just checked and double checked the Royal canin instructions it says 60 grams for a 2kgram dog spread over 3 meals. From what you say It looks like I havent been giving Belle enough, no matter what the packet says, Im going to increase it and see how she goes. :)

I can't remember how much I fed my puppies at that age, but I would offer her 1/3 cup for each meal, giving her 3 meals per day!

Me too; I think that is too little. I fed about 6omg three times a day of adult RC -- many breeders don't think puppy food is necessary and that it causes dog to grow too fast. Either way I'd be feeding more than that. Are you sure it isn;t 60mg fed three times as opposed to over three meals? I cannot believe they'd be recommending such a tiny amount of food for a puppy. Indeed most of the dry food recommendations from manufacturers tend to be too high for puppies and adults rather than too low.

From what I can gather on the Royal Canin website, it looks as if a puppy should be getting about a cup day or possibly alittle more.

Hi, I haven been on in a while folks but just read this and think I know where the confusion may lie. I may be mistaken but from what I can recollect, Royal Canine estimates the amount to be fed judging by the approx "adult weight of the dog rather than the weight of the pup". eg if the estimated adult weight is 2kg then a 3 month old pup of that breed would be fed 60g per day. Cavaliers vary in the 6-8kg range as adults so if you check the side of the packet you will find that the daily amount varies in and around 115g or upwards per day. I cant remember the precise amount as I have changed to Burns but just double check the pack and then correspond the approx ADULT weight of the dog to the age of your puppy and you should get a good idea. I hope this helps! :D

Thanks folks for the clarifications. I am sure the pup involved will be delighted to see the increase in the dinner bowl! :lol: Mine would be thrilled to see meals triple in size -- especially Lily. :roll:

Hahaha Karlin, so would mine. I keep Maxx's bags of Burns food in the big walk in cupboard under my staircase. Last week, one of my kids left the door open and Maxx was missing - I found him in the cupboard with his nose in the bag of food trying his damnedest to get some out (I only open a corner of it to pour the food). I picked the bag up and shooed him out and all afternoon he sat giving me filthy looks :lol:

Thanks everyone for the advice, poor Belle she must think her mummy is starving her. Needless to say her dinners will be bigger from now on. :p

If you have been feeding this amount for a while I would probably add a bit more for a while (maybe an 60mg daily) as she may be in need of the extra food and nutrition -- she would only have been fed a third the amount she has needed which is a significant loss of food value for a pup if it went on for anything more than a few days. You can also talk to your vet for advice but this is a very important growing stage for them. I'd increase her food up til her vet visit and then talk to him/her about what happened and for how long and see what they think regarding any need for extra food/nutrition and her current weight. Puppies recover well but to be on the safe side I'd be sure to discuss with your vet.

Back