• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy is from a non-reputable breeder....

My Wesley

So Daisy is the 2 yr old female tri that we just got from a family that couldn't keep her. In looking further in her papers I see she was given APR registry papers and they purchased her for $800. In searching the breeders name, I can't find anything on her. But she's in Homer Glen, IL.

I have Daisy set up for an appointment at my vet tomorrow to get her health checked out. She is already spayed and up to date on shots.

What I'm wondering is what I should really be concerned about. Obviously SM & MVD. But anything else? She's been wonderful and she's VERY loving and finally getting along w/ Wesley.

And, can I get insurance on her? She's had no health issues so it shouldn't cost any more than normal right?

Thanks!

Hope everything is ok with Daisy in the future, I'm pleased that she has got settled in ok and is getting on with Wesley. I don't know how the insurances work though.

I donnot think it should cost any more I insurace my Rocky when he was 3 years old with no problem I cannot think of anythink else I think she is loverly--- Aileen and the gang ( Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Of course there are the regular worries of the health issues associated with the breed, but I would just relax and enjoy Daisy fo who she is, not where she came from. :D People get dogs from rescue all the time who definitely had poor backgrounds, but still live long happy/healthy lives. I would just print up some of the health articles from Karlin so your vet can keep them on file, just in case ;)

The health insurance may be a good idea in case of further issues down the line and if there are no pre-existing conditions you shouldn't have any problem getting it. I don't think they ask about the breeder when you apply.

Health insurance isn't plausible for me because I have four dogs. It just makes more sense to put the money in a "just in case" fund that gains interest with time. That way I have the money if I need it, and it doesn't go down the tubes if they never have an accident.

I don't have insurance either and over the 35 years I've had dogs would have claimed far less than I wold have paid in premiums.

I agree. Enjoy your dog and let the future bring what it will. Anita , had two related dogs from rescue (mother and daughter or two sisters). One sadly died of mvd, but the other is about 10 and doing fine. Monty's half brother died young of rapid onset mvd, yet he , at well over 11 has no problems from his murmur, which he's had for years.

Ask if you may call the owners vet and get copies of all her visits. That way should you choose insurance you'll know what they will exclude. Being very picky going over the records as any mention of loose stools, etc.. will come back to haunt you as pre-existing. She is old enough that unless something serious shows up on the records, I wouldnt worry so much about the non-reputable breeder. I am not hailing petstore dogs, however, some I know are health models compared to some pretty high costing top of the line breeder dogs I know of. Good breeding gives you a fighting chance but does not guarantee anything. My advice dont sweat it - you already said she is lovely and fitting in, just get the insurance (which you can cancel at anytime) till your more relaxed on her health.

Most better breeders REQUIRE that a dog purchased from them HAS to go back to them. Unlucky genes can be a crap shoot... SO SINCE she is fitting well into your lives ====Just Enjoy her.... But this might be one instance where I would try to get her vet records and possibly get some insurance on her --- maybe only short term of a year or two. fwiw Sandy

Of course there are the regular worries of the health issues associated with the breed, but I would just relax and enjoy Daisy fo who she is, not where she came from. Very Happy People get dogs from rescue all the time who definitely had poor backgrounds, but still live long happy/healthy lives.

:xctly:

Insurance should be no problem.

If the family are willing to have you contact the vet for her records that is useful but won't be necessary for insurance. If you cannot get them just apply for insurance and note she is a rescue dog.

Well, they did give me the records that they had on her. And she's up to date on some shots for the next two years. She hasn't had a stool sample in almost two years, so I'm going to have that done, but her poops look good to me. She's a finnicky eater that so far has only eaten when I hand feed her. But I can tell she's already showing more interest in the food and I'm switching her over to Innova EVO. And the prior owner did mention that their vet never heard any murmurs. So, hopefully all goes well tomorrow.

I gave her a bath today and she did wonderfully. So she seems to really be taking a liking to us already and has almost 100% warmed up to Wesley and now she's starting to tease him. I think if all goes well at the vet, I will hold off on the insurance. I'd rather just keep a fund on the side.

Thanks for all your input!

My first 2 dogs were from a BYB, before I knew what that meant. Boy do we learn a lot on this web board (Thanks Karlin).

Anyway, my first 2 dogs have juvenille cataracts and luxating patella. Both hereditary conditions. I wouldn't give them back for anything. It is just something we need to treat and overcome. I have decided against insurance. In my case, once I got the vet's notes which are required for Pet Care Insurance, the vet had already seen the early signs of the conditions, so it wouldn't be covered anyway by the insurance. I decided to enjoy my cavaliers and with the vet's help, keep them as healthy as possible. I made a conscious decision not to worry about what might happen down the road, but to enjoy each day I have with them to the fullest.

Charleen said:
I made a conscious decision not to worry about what might happen down the road, but to enjoy each day I have with them to the fullest.
I have read tons of great advice and learned much here too. But your sentence above, is the best yet. I mean that very seriously - it's good to be educated on these things, but we too easily can let it consume us robbing us of the pleasure we set out to have.

Charleen said:
I made a conscious decision not to worry about what might happen down the road, but to enjoy each day I have with them to the fullest.

Amen to that!!! You live and learn. I wish I had taken that advise when I got Lily, instead of watching the poor baby like a hawk and making myself a nervous wreck. Whatever happens down the raod, we'll just deal with. Daisy is a beauty and looks very sweet and sure to bring you many years of joy :flwr:

Back