• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

12-16 Puppy Socialization Class

Kodee

Kodee attended her first class last night. Wow, I am so happy I am doing this especially with the Behavioural Therapist I found. I thought she might not be ready - but this class is what she needs. She is at home with only me ALL day - I see that developing issues because Cavs are a soft breed.

It differs from just a puppy obedience class - this class is about developing behaviour (or not developing a bad behaviour) so you are ready for the Puppy Beginner usually recommended at 16 wks.

I was worried because "puppy classes" are usually 45 to 60 min and this one is 1.5 hrs - but now that I have attended I see why. The essense is not on training but socializing and lots of it is available. With a soft breed like Kodee she told me to come 10-15 min early so she can be first and see everyone come in and sniff noses if she chooses. They do some work but have chill time while she talks in between. At the end everyone passes their puppy to the right till it comes back to you. Kodee was wagging her little tail but it was slightly under her - she did great for a first time. Then she tells the quieter, shyer (kodee was included) dogs about 4 to let them off line - amusing these puppies just walked around mom and ventured out very little. Then they went back on the leash and the rest were let off (5) oh boy playtime was a riot for them! The quieter group watched with interest and by the end, kodee was straining a bit on her leash thinking hmm maybe I should have done that when I had the chance!

There are so many new owners or to be owners here, I really mean it, if your area has a socialization class DO IT! Sure if you wait 3 or 4 wks they can go to the Puppy Obedience classes (I know it saves money to do once) but for a soft breed like a cavalier - I think these classes are essential. Kodee is a very independant puppy with some attitude but she still was one of 3 most reserved - she needs this especially cause she spends too much time with me alone.

woohoo Kodee!! :w**h**: :w**h**:

So glad you liked your first class@@!

See Debbie - I knew you would love class!! It's great isnt it?! When you say Kodee was shy - so was Kosmo!! He spent the entire first class hiding under my chair when he got the chance. The week before you came we did "pass the puppy" and Faith also gets passed throughout every week in advanced class.

Its a lot of fun isnt it?! Now to look at Kos - you would never know he used to be such a chicken! :yikes

:flwr:

What a terrific trainer and class! Sounds like the perfect solution for you. You are so smart to do this with your pup. It will be so beneficial in Kodee's development. Way to go!

Wow, I am so glad I read this. I had no idea that puppy socialization classes were out there - sounds like a fantastic idea! Is it through an independent dog trainer?

Julie S said:
Wow, I am so glad I read this. I had no idea that puppy socialization classes were out there - sounds like a fantastic idea! Is it through an independent dog trainer?
She is a animal behavioral therapist. She works at my vets and another vet, assists a very well known Behavioural Therapist for extremely difficult cases and is the Therapy Dog area Superindentent. She doesnt teach any obedience classes - she says puppies are her thing. Oh she is also a Cairn Terrier Breeder for many years. I think I just lucked out. But they must be out there, as I noticed another place also near me has it along with beginner obedience right to agility training. She does her puppy classes at 3 locations every month so she is popular. One person was there with their 3rd dog (they would be seniors now) and must really like the opportunity it provides as their dog was amazing and obviously didnt need any help in training. It was a german sheppard - and from a childhood experience scare me to death. I have never seen a sheppard act like this - it was by far the sweetest and best trained puppy I have ever seen.

Molly While replying to the post below you, I just noticed your message about cats. :lol: How true!

Debbie-

I'm so glad you were able to find such a wonderful class!

Sounds like Kodee is well on her way to becoming an adventurous little girl!! b*n*n*

Back