• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My brave boy

Maxxs_Mummy

My darling Maxxy is 7 1/2 and has the most beautifl teeth. So, imagine my horror when I was cleaning them last night and noticed a black tooth in the front of his mouth :yikes

I had to take Charlie to the Vets this afternoon so Maxx came along too. When Uncle James looked at his teeth he didn't have a bad tooth but he had eaten something that had become stuck in between his teeth and also up into the gum :? It looked like he had a bad tooth :roll:

James removed it for him with a dental tool and then said he'd try and clean the tooth with a blast of water but didn't think it would be successful as he'd never known a dog let him do it without sedation before. I told him taht Maxx would let me do most things without complaint so he said 'Let's have a go'

Maxx was such a good boy and sat still for James whilst he blasted his front teeth with a high powered jet of water - though he did want to lick the spray at first :lol: He never made a sound and then smothered both me and James in kisses when he'd finished.

I think he was a very brave boy to have 'dental treatment' without a fuss :lol:

Aren't cavaliers some of the bravest dogs of all. When my vet takes blood-- I put my face right by my dogs face to distract them and the vet says, "I sure wouldn't do that if I were you-- this might hurt." Like our babies would hurt us--lol.

Sandy, I couldn't agree more :lotsaluv: James said that he couldn't believe Maxx sat so still and never growled :D He has 3 Cavaliers of his own and said that none of his boys would have sat to let him do that to them :lol:

Awwww. thanks Kim :flwr: I think we all try to be the best Cav moms we can be :flwr:

Charleen, I haven't a clue. It was just something black. No smell to it or anything. I think it might have been a bit of a herb leaf as he's always trampling in my herb garden :roll: :lol:

Julie, thanks :flwr: I think he was really good but then he's always good when he has anything done :lotsaluv:

Donna

Maxx is a champ and what a amazing Vet you have.

Those boys are lucky to have such a wonderful mommy and a
Great Uncle James who takes such great care of them.

What a good boy max is, very brave, very trusting and loyal. Obviously he'll do anything you ask of him. You have an awesome vet too!

Awww...what a good boy!! But I am laughing at the thought of a black tooth you thought was bad....and turns out to be something he ate! :D

I'm a dental hygienist...and sounds like Maxxyis a better patient than MANY of mine!!! :lol: I give him a gold star!!! :flwr:

Thanks girls. He's very special to me as he has accepted so many changes in his life and so many dogs coming to board, foster and in Charlie's case, stay and take over his bed and toys as well :lol:

Cathy T, I felt such an idiot when James removed the 'bad black tooth :lol: ' I think it was a tiny bit of some very dried out black mint that I have growing in my herb garden. It was really hard and was stuck to his tooth and into his gum making his gum all sore - that's why I thought it was a bad tooth - I just couldn't understand how it had gone black so quickly :roll: I swear I shouldn't be let out on my own sometimes LOL :flwr:

Cathy M, he got a 'dentastix' which is a dental chew for being so brave. Charlie got one too - for being brave when he had his injections :flwr:

Terri, Maxx says thank you and is the gold star edible?

Joanne, yep he'll do ANYTHING without complaining. It's quite funny that he never growled until we taught him to by making growly noises when we played with him. I trust him implicitly :flwr:

Last but not least, Linda ;) Yeah he is a champ, bless him. As I said he's just so accepting of everything and everybody. If he was a horse he'd be classed as bombproof :lol: Mind you, he is scared of briefcases for some strange reason :roll: He and Charlie are VERY lucky to have Uncle James - especially as he didn't even charge me for the impromptu dental treatment :lol: My boys are no luckier than Dudley and Darby and all the other furbabies though :flwr:

Maxx sends you all a big licky kiss and says that Auntie Helen (one of the other Vets) says he now has a 'Colgate smile' :lol:

Just catching up on all the news on the board. What a good sweet boy Maxx is. Hard to beleive any animals could be sweeter than our Cavs. Way to go Maxx boy!

Glad Maxx didn't need his tooth extracted . Bet he's delighted to have the offending particle removed though, and a nice Colgate smile to boot :D

What do you use to clean their teeth Donna? My two girlies have smelly breath and Minnie's teeth in particular, are a bit discoloured, although she had them cleaned when she went in for her spay.

{{{{{Maxx and Charlie}}}}} you are both VERY brave boys and a credit to your Mommy :rah: :rah: :mexwav: :jmp2:

:flwr: :hug:

Hi Claire,

Believe it or not but all I use is a soft dry flannel every other day and they also get a dentastix for small dogs, twice a week.

I do give them the occasional pizzle stick or white rawhide chew but only maybe once or twice a month if that.

Maxx also has Burns dried food and I think that the texture of the food helps keep his teeth clean.

You could try charcoal biscuits (black ones) from the pet shop for the girl's breath. They will help clean their teeth and also, if the smell is coming from their stomach's it will help to neutralise it :flwr:

I also saw some breath neutralisers for dogs last week but I don't know if they work or not :lol:

:lol: :lol: Your story of Maxx is so funny Donna!! I bet your jaw dropped when that piece of mint fell out!! What a brave boy Maxx was!! :) Both of mine would have cried immediately.. LOL :) *HUGZ* to Maxx and give him an extra special kiss for being such a good boy! :flwr:

Back