• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How often do they need to pee?

Coco's mom

Here's a question that will really show how new I am to the world of doggies.... but I need to know :?

How long can an 8 month old cavalier puppy (yes, she is still a puppy!) be expected to hold her urine? I know it differs from dog to dog. I'm just wondering because when I take Coco out now a days, she doesn't need to go as often. What is normal? :?

Katydid is almost 9months old and I just started to notice in the last week or so that she is able to go many hours between potty breaks. I feel she is holding it longer and peeing longer when she goes out. She is also telling me when she needs a break too! ;) ! She jumps up on me and barks and licks me on the face or she goes into the laundry room and barks because this is the door we go out.
But she is DEFINITELY waiting longer between potty breaks! YES!!!!

That's amazing! You go Katydid! DId you somehow train her to tell you?

I thought Coco may have been trying to tell me she had to go out yesterday when she started to scratch at the sliding door to the backyard- but it just seems too good to be true! :badgrin:

I don't know if I should get too excited because this has been a very slooooow process. She was having accidents a lot but I blame myself because I was giving her way to much freedom and everytime there was an accident I would hit myself in the head...I should have had her out sooner.
My fingers are crossed.

Coco's mom said:
Here's a question that will really show how new I am to the world of doggies.... but I need to know :?

How long can an 8 month old cavalier puppy (yes, she is still a puppy!) be expected to hold her urine? I know it differs from dog to dog. I'm just wondering because when I take Coco out now a days, she doesn't need to go as often. What is normal? :?
I don't know how long the average 8 month old cav puppy can hold her urine. But one of our trainers told our class to take our dogs out 6 times per day. The longest we've left our adult cavs is 8 hours on very rare occasions, but usually it's a maximum of 5 hours. We come home at lunch time during the work week to let them out. :flwr:

I think it definitley depends on the dog. Ever since we got Padden at 11 weeks she only pees 4 times a day (and that was when she would pee whenever she felt like it). She is now 4.5 months and still only pees 4 times. She drinks plenty of water but holds it.

She will pee on command now (yippy!) so I can get her to go whenever!!!!
I tested her today when we were out on a hike and stoped her mid trail and kept saying her potty command and she immediately started sniffing around and squated! Only went a tiny amount but I was so excited!

So I really think it depends on the dog. She will hold it longer if she has to but I'm able to get to her during the day so she never has to hold it longer than 5 hours.

I have one that "goes" whenever she is taken out, while the other puppy holds it much longer and often doesnt "go" everytime we go out. They are both ringing the bell, but I am finding the one that rings the most is the one that holds it the longest and she justs wants to go out and play.
I use the command word like crazy, but she totally seems to ignore it in favor of eating sticks and dirt.

Lia goes outside 4 times a day and is 6 months old. If we go often out with her she doesn't want to potty.

:flwr:

I never let Bertie hold on more than two hours unless he is asleep. He's very good and usually tells me when he needs to go.

He can hold on a bit longer as he has done on a few occasions when we've been visiting friends but I always keep an eye on the clock and ensure to take him out at least every two hours.

He goes all night without needing to go out but if I wake at 3am or something, I automatically take him out for a pee break, I figure if I wake up needing a pee then what's to say a dog doesn't need one too.

I'm at home all day of course so that does make it easier, I know not everyone can be there all the time.

Alison

Back