Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default June bugs

Okay, I was talking to Sara this afternoon and I know she had no idea what I was talking about. Let's see who out there knows what I'm talking about.

I have Jasper (aka Jitterbug, my former rescue boy) staying with me for a couple of days while his mommy is out of town. We went for a walk this afternoon (walking 3 is definitely a challenge) and that boy is all over the place! Walking him just completely wore me out. He just weaves and bobs all over the place. I commented to Sara that walking him reminded me of when we used to fly june bugs on a string. You just kind of held on and let them go wherever they wanted to go.

Did anyone ever tie a string to a june bug and fly it? Am I completely nuts and the only who's ever done this? I know my brother and I did some pretty goofy things as kids...but I so remember this! Along with collecting fireflies in jar and pretending to be horses in grandpa's corral. Remember....this was pre video game days when you used to have to entertain yourselves.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say I don't know what it is. Could you elaborate?
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

Born and raised city chick here, no flying june bugs in my neighborhood. What is a june bug? I do remember punching holes in the lid of a jar and catching grasshoppers to put inside.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

We caught lightening bugs and put them in that jar!
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. Cath...I can help you out with the fireflies (we called them lightning bugs) in a jar, and also some kids made rings out of the lights, oh my, that sounds terrible now . I can also help you out with playing horses, we did that too, but you lost me with the June Bugs
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We caught fireflies, and sometimes grasshoppers, but not Junebugs. I saw a huge bug flying crazily once, and someone told me it was a Junebug! No way would I try to catch something that size!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I use to catch fireflies but I have some good news for you my husband's mother use to cath those Junebugs and tie string to them I had never even seen a Junebug before until I met my husband and his mom told us stories about when she and her siblings were younger and they tied string to their legs and watched them go
    Jasmine, mommy to Ellie (tri girl), Griffin, Hunter, & Dexter (kitties)

Ellie is here!!!!

http://elliethecavalier.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Jasmine - tell you MIL thanks for saving me on this! I knew someone somewhere had to have experienced this. When my mom told us about it as kids we thought she was nuts. Until we did it. We'd fly them around on a string and dive bomb each other with them. What can I say...we were bored

Cathy - they are obnoxiously huge buzzing bugs...but at 8 years old they didn't phase me.

Shay - I know it sounds terrible now...but we did the same thing. Pinch off the lights and stick them all over our faces....gross now huh?! And Mary - who needed nightlights when you had a jar full of lightnin' bugs
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I have never personally flown a Junebug, but Bubba has and my Dad has talked about doing it. (But then, Dad also says he saw it rain frogs one day - the sun had pulled up the water from a pond and took tadpoles with it and then it rained frogs. Okay, he also used to tell me stories about when "he was a little girl". My Dad is fun.)

Lightening bugs? Sure! Oh, and did they stink after you pulled out the lights and stuck them all over yourself. YUCK!!

Don't know about the horses, but my sister and I played Cowboys and Green Onions. This was before a lawn was such a thing of pride and we had our share of clovers to look through (and bees to avoid) and green onions. There is an embankment from Mom's house to the house next door and we would lay there and act like we were shooting the green onions.

These video games have nothing on us, do they?
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

It was so heart-warming for me to watch my children catch firefly's this last summer while we visited relatives back east.
    They had never seen firefly's before and they were truly amazed at how cool they were and the way they lit up like that.
    Boy I wish we had them here in San Diego
    Linda Byerline, President
    MLB Industries, Inc
    www.happyheinys.com