• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

adult dog - how many grams do you feed?

Kelz

Hiya just a general question as I can never seem to get Harveys food amount right, too little and he doesnt seem to lose the excess weight he very much needs to lose, too little and he is terrible, goes round stealing food and being a general pain in the bum :)

He gets fed once a day, and at the vets advice I add chopped carrots, greenbeans, and half his food I soak in water, but just wanted to know how many grams everyone else gives their adult cav?

How old is Harvey, and how much does he weigh?

How much are you currently feeding him, and is it kibble that you're soaking in water?

Hiya he weighs 20lbs and I feed him a dry food of 80 grams day, half of which is soaked in water.
He also gets 2 walks a day and lots of plsy time of fetch and ball in the day.

He got thr excess weight when our other dog passed away last year, Harvey just lost any sense of having fun and was very difficult to get him out form hiding under the table, walks were a nightmare then as he did not want to go on them and would really drag himself around.

Now he has much improoved and loves his walks and loves to play so obviosly I am now increasing the amount of walk time and play time as much as he will participate but am not sure if I am doing correct in regards to food, even though it was the vets recommendation.

I feed an 18 lb male no more than 1 measuring cup of kibble per day. I like to feed 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. I don't know how this amount compares to 80 grams.

If he still isn't losing weight, you could cut his portions back to 1/3 cup twice a day, and add a few cut up vegetables like frozen cut green beens, carrots, green pepper.

Thank you!

I used to give half in morning and half in the evening like you too. But I found that Harvey would never eat his morning food, so started giving it at the same time as we have our tea and he eats it all.
I think a cupfull a day would be around 80/90grams.
Our vet told us to give 90 grams but I found he was not losing anything after a month so I cut it to 80 and also increased walk time etc.

I add to greenbeans and carrots too, he seems to really enjoy them.

Maybe I shall just cut an extra 5-10grams off in another 2 weeks if the extra walking don't help. Will also make sure I seek the professional advice too.

Thanks for all the help, its much appreciated, I certainly wouldnt want harvey to develop health issues due to being overweight thats why now he has perked u since we lost Buster its time to take action :)

Dudley is 17 lbs and still needs to shed 1 to 1 1/2 lbs, I can see that extra 1 lb slowing him down and due to lack of exercise at the moment because of our freezing weather he is getting 1/3 cup of EVO twice a day.
Once with a tbsp of either boiled chicken breast or steweing beef and veggies if available.

He is slowly loosing the weight.

Just remember he will have more energy once he is a bit lighter. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks Linda, Yup he definatly needs to shed a few lbs! Ialready see a improvment in his enegry levels and as long as the kids don't sneak him anything (which I am always on the look out for, he should lose it in no time!

roll on the summer months and the better weather, its so muddly and wet round here!

Find an 'off lead' - area - woods, beach, moorland whatever - even if it is 30 mins drive....

If the food is ok - well...

Let exercise take its course,,, Happy you - Happy doggy...

You will smile and laugh so much and so will Harvey.... :flwr:

Kelz,

The food that Linda and I feed our dogs is called Evo (not available in UK), and it has more calories than the average dog food. That's why we would feed our dogs 1/3 cup per meal rather than 1/2 cup. I'm assuming your kibble has average calories, that's why I think 1/2 cup would be right for Harvey.

Glad to hear he's more active! :)

Thank ypu

Its lovely to see him more active, it was awful ater Buster died as all he did was lay under the table, it was very difficult to get him out!
Now he only has to see his lead and he is up and tail wagging, we are off for our evening walk across the field now!

Back