Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats going on ?????

Post Thanks / Like

I have been known to swear into a cushion when she runs off.
    A few years ago I had a black Lab and I used to go to agility classes with him. Somene told me Cav's were quiet and very loyal.....they forgot to tell Ellie

Post Thanks / Like

If you have problems with a vocal recall for any reason, try a whistle. The pup should come running to investigate the funny noise and you can give a treat. I did this a couple of times with Amber (with periodic reinforcement) because especially if you panic eg, in a park- your voice can put the dog off returning- and it has worked well. I got to test the effectiveness of a whistle recall last week. We were in a very large park and both dogs were off lead. Amber saw a big labrador right across theother side of the field and went haring after him. Instead of yelling for her, I blew the whistle. She literally turned on a sixpence and came racing back. I'm 80% certain she would have ignored a vocal recall. even though we've worked on that too.

The only problem was that some five dogs came racing with her. Obviously they'd been whistle trained too.... One little JRT was very persistent about getting his treat when he saw me handing Amber a sweetie!
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem might be too much space in her freedom. You said you came home and she ran around the yard and house. Kodee is 13 wks and if I let her have alot of room she would go beserk. I either keep her in the kitchen with me, or open open kitchen, to hall to den when she is quiet. If she gets the terrors, I reduce her space. At worst, I will put her in an xpen. Due to winter she is only in the yard on a leash as our snowbanks and broken twigs are too tempting (If it was summer I'd let her loose).

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like puppy play! They love to play chase and have more energy than you can possibley have! If you chase her, she will run further away. Just turn and run away from her, she will follow. It's all part of doggie games. A puppy training class might also help.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)