• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Darn those matts!

Denise G.

They really sneak up on you don't they??? I'm pretty religious about brushing Mia, but the other night I discovered a big mat under both her ears and three in her rear-end feathers. Not surprised about those, because she's pretty wiggly when I brush her back there. Luckily, I found a matt brush at Petco that worked pretty well and she was a very patient girl while I worked on them for the better part of TWO HOURS! I finally had to cut the matts out of her hiney feathers--she's very sensitive back there... :yikes

What do you guys use for matts?

Needless to say, I'll be paying much closer attention when I brush her from now on...what a pain! :roll:

i use a product called silk spirits its a protein oil normally used on the coat i rub a little between my thumb and fingers then tease the knot out it work great its takes a few mins but so worth doing i don't like having to cut them out I am sure most of us don't either

its made by Chris Christenson

My poor babies have such uneven hair on their ears from all the times I have had to cut them :(
We have what we call stickly weeds in our yard and they stick and you can not get them out. So I end up cutting them out :(

I find that it is easier to prevent the matts first (I had a nasty matting situation that took over 2 hours to get out too :sl*p: ). Since the last time Riley had bad matts, I now use a detangling spray before I brush him. Also I use a little extra sprayed (and worked in with my fingers) behind the ears and the silky feathery hair on the legs, chest, and hiney area. I use Petsilk leave-in Conditioner spray.
This has really reduced the production of matts and I haven't had to deal with them in months. I love this product, it's a must-have for me. :)

Back